Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Hi all first post here but I have been lurking for somtime and reading up on all the issues people have been having prior to my purchase of a 650.

    Regardless I took the plunge and got a GSM unlocked Treo650 here in Australia.

    I wont bore you with the exciting details of me doing a little jigg when it arrived but I will regale you with my experiences in regards to resets.

    Moving from a T3 I decided the smart money was on a clean slate install so I backed up and backedup some more. Uninstalled all Palm related stuff from my PC and proceded with installing via the CD.

    All went well data migrated to the Treo all the apps I wanted so far were installed..

    Docs to Go*
    Acidimage
    Bigtime*
    TreoGuard
    Snappermail
    Kinoma
    Uninstall Mgr
    PTunes
    Plucker*
    PowerRun
    Yahoo Messenger
    UpIRC
    ClipPro
    Verichat
    (ones with * are run from the card)

    Everything seemed fine till a few hours later I got a random soft reset, them a little while later another then a lockup then the on switch would not work untill I reset it.
    I scoured the fourms removed suspect apps logged the resets using crash but could not work out why this was happening.

    So yesterday i took the plunge and decided to start again. Do a hard reset and install things one by one and test to see who the culprit was..now this was the interesting part.

    Did the hard reset asked for my language, but the next thing it asked was to calibrate the keyboard by pressing "k" hmmm I thought no something I did straight out of the box. Then bells started going off if the keyboard was not correctly calibrated out of the box would this affect things.
    So i reinstalled hotsynced and have loaded a few apps on now 24hours later I have NOT had one random soft reset.

    Im not saying this is the solution to everones problems but that seemd to make the difference..dunno why or how it just did. Another theory to add to the list.
    AUSPUG Melbourne Co-Ordinator
    Visit us at...
    Australian Palm Users Group
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by oztreo
    Hi all first post here but I have been lurking for somtime and reading up on all the issues people have been having prior to my purchase of a 650.

    Regardless I took the plunge and got a GSM unlocked Treo650 here in Australia.

    I wont bore you with the exciting details of me doing a little jigg when it arrived but I will regale you with my experiences in regards to resets.

    Moving from a T3 I decided the smart money was on a clean slate install so I backed up and backedup some more. Uninstalled all Palm related stuff from my PC and proceded with installing via the CD.

    All went well data migrated to the Treo all the apps I wanted so far were installed..

    Docs to Go*
    Acidimage
    Bigtime*
    TreoGuard
    Snappermail
    Kinoma
    Uninstall Mgr
    PTunes
    Plucker*
    PowerRun
    Yahoo Messenger
    UpIRC
    ClipPro
    Verichat
    (ones with * are run from the card)

    Everything seemed fine till a few hours later I got a random soft reset, them a little while later another then a lockup then the on switch would not work untill I reset it.
    I scoured the fourms removed suspect apps logged the resets using crash but could not work out why this was happening.

    So yesterday i took the plunge and decided to start again. Do a hard reset and install things one by one and test to see who the culprit was..now this was the interesting part.

    Did the hard reset asked for my language, but the next thing it asked was to calibrate the keyboard by pressing "k" hmmm I thought no something I did straight out of the box. Then bells started going off if the keyboard was not correctly calibrated out of the box would this affect things.
    So i reinstalled hotsynced and have loaded a few apps on now 24hours later I have NOT had one random soft reset.

    Im not saying this is the solution to everones problems but that seemd to make the difference..dunno why or how it just did. Another theory to add to the list.
    are you referencing when the treo asks that you press k to setup the device? because i get that after every hard reset, as it's almost manditory for any initial setup.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  3.    #3  
    Yes thats what im referencing. But an initial setup out of the box with no hard reset like i did I had no way of knowing this had to be done
    AUSPUG Melbourne Co-Ordinator
    Visit us at...
    Australian Palm Users Group
  4. #4  
    Back when I had a Treo 600 (actually had 5 units before calling it quits), I hardly walked out of the Cing store before noticing that "x" typed a "y", and vice versa. Not ever having performed a hard reset (and therefore never seeing the initial setup), I couldn't believe that even keys were cross-mapped. Apparently the rep pushed the wrong button in haste...
  5. #5  
    My GSM 650 never asked me to press a 'k' or any letter on the board after a hard reset. Is there a special reset you're doing?
  6. #6  
    I was never asked to press any key for calibration either o.O; ... Have Cingular Treo 650.
  7. #7  
    both my 650 and 600 always asked that i press the k key after a hard reset. you might be thinking of a warm reset or maybe even a soft reset, which isn't quite the same thing.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    both my 650 and 600 always asked that i press the k key after a hard reset. you might be thinking of a warm reset or maybe even a soft reset, which isn't quite the same thing.
    1 hard reset, was never asked a keyboard question - Orange Cingular
  9. #9  
    how the hell do you do a "hard reset"? just remove the battery?
  10. #10  
    The first time you set it up it asks for the "Z" (not the K) key to determine which keyboard is being used.

    I don't remember 100% but I do think it asks for this step after each hard reset also.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  11. #11  
    No, read the manual. Hold the end call button, press reset, wait until after the Palm logo appears, release teh end call button, press up on the 5 way d-pad.

    Quote Originally Posted by dubLdribL
    how the hell do you do a "hard reset"? just remove the battery?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  12. #12  
    Lots of Hard Resets and never asked to push a key!!! It goes straight to screen calibration
    ATT 650
  13. #13  
    Does it ask you to select a language? It should ask for a language and then ask for the key to be pressed. It it doesn't ask for a language you aren't hard resetting it.

    Quote Originally Posted by spollo
    Lots of Hard Resets and never asked to push a key!!! It goes straight to screen calibration
    ATT 650
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  14. #14  
    Hm. Interesting.

    I definitely did a hard reset on my Sprint 650, but no language selection and no K key, and also no mention of it in my manual.

    Tom
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by spollo
    Lots of Hard Resets and never asked to push a key!!! It goes straight to screen calibration
    ATT 650
    definitely same experience here, my 650 is on Cingular Orange and i have hard-reset *many* times over the last week, i am prompted each time to re-calibrate the touchscreen/stylus, and have never been asked to select language *or* calibrate keyboard... it sounds like there are some different versions of the 650 floating about, perhaps some models destined for the global market as opposed to the US domestic market? no idea, i wonder if we start comparing firmware codes we will see some differences between these units..

    http://twash.com/iku/itsfullofstars.gif
  16. #16  
    I remember, since it was only yesterday, that when I first booted up my unlocked 650 is asked me what language I wanted and at the bottom of the screen is said "You can NEVER change this setting once chosen". So, I chose english obviously and then went to the press the Z key prompt. So maybe the Z keyboard thing is also something tied to the region or language and even a hard reset won't undo that setting?
  17. #17  
    g'day oztreo, good to see you here too
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Does it ask you to select a language? It should ask for a language and then ask for the key to be pressed. It it doesn't ask for a language you aren't hard resetting it.
    Maybe there are pure US (only US English) and International versions (Multiple Languages). I remember that with some Palm PDA's this was the case.

    An international version can "see" by the "Z" what keyboard there is: Qwerty for US, UK, NL etc, Qwertz for Germany, Azerty for France, etc.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeZ
    I remember, since it was only yesterday, that when I first booted up my unlocked 650 is asked me what language I wanted and at the bottom of the screen is said "You can NEVER change this setting once chosen". So, I chose english obviously and then went to the press the Z key prompt. So maybe the Z keyboard thing is also something tied to the region or language and even a hard reset won't undo that setting?
    Don't know for the 650 but after a hard reset, on can change Language and Keyboard on a 600 - It asks for it every time
  20. #20  
    Must be a regionalized OS setting. I've never been asked to select a language or press the keyboard on my US Sprint CDMA Treo 600 or 650. As I recall, the memory specs for the 650 were something like "23MB available, 22MB with language option." I'm guessing that extra 1K of OS code isn't included on U.S. spec phones. At least not Sprint U.S. phones.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions