Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    just pulled GSM 650 out of the box. went through the tour, popped my SIMM card in. phone works fine. when i go to blazer to browse the web, it will load the first url i type but then locks up and i can't do anything. i have to remove the battery to get it up again. is this common? if so, i have to get rid of it because it is useless. i have not installed the CD that came with it or done any upgrades/installs on the device. do i have to update it or something?

thanks.
    I'm having the exact same issue. It will load some 50k-150k, then completely lock up and the only way to fix it is to take off the battery cover and reset it. Also, it seems at the same time my signal goes from full down to 2 bars.

Just received it a few hours ago...what the hell!

*just to add, I was having the issue before I even sync'd or installed anything. I then sync'd my info and installed 2 small apps from the install cd and the same thing is going on...
    1 | 2
  3. CLM
    My Treo 650 has a similar problem. About once a day, when a web page is loading, it will pause for about 5 seconds and then reset the device. Anyone out there with ideas on how to remedy this? I have not installed additional apps yet.
    It may be something with your data setup. If you just got it and haven't installed anything, its either your data setup or a bad unit. Verify your carrier settings. I am assuming Cingular, right? Check your network settings. You should have a Cingular GPRS service defined, connection type GPRS, user name WAP@CINGULARGRPS.COM, APN is wap.cingular. I don't know what the password is but if you search here or in howardforums.com you will find it. These settings should come straight from the carrier, but sometimes you have to call them to have them resend them.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLM
    My Treo 650 has a similar problem. About once a day, when a web page is loading, it will pause for about 5 seconds and then reset the device. Anyone out there with ideas on how to remedy this? I have not installed additional apps yet.
    It is the same page or pages at random? What do you have your cache set at?
  6. CLM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    It is the same page or pages at random? What do you have your cache set at?
    It is not the same page that freezes and causes the reset daily. Cache is set at 1 MB (seems to be the default in Blazer). Do you think bumping that up would solve some of the problems?
    I think it is Cingular and their network settings. The same reason many of us HAD, voicemail number dialing issues. The network was pushing garbage to the phone. I called and had them reconfigure my account and everything is smooth now on two phones. Worth a try. You need to get past bonehead CS rep on the first level though, be polite and you can do it.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 02/14/2005 at 04:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLM
    It is not the same page that freezes and causes the reset daily. Cache is set at 1 MB (seems to be the default in Blazer). Do you think bumping that up would solve some of the problems?
    No, 1MB is fine. It may be some settings from the carrier. Call your carrier's customer service and tell them you are having problems with your service and to verify all your settings. If that doesn't fix it, its time to get a new one.
  9.    #9  
    It may be something with your data setup. If you just got it and haven't installed anything, its either your data setup or a bad unit. Verify your carrier settings. I am assuming Cingular, right? Check your network settings. You should have a Cingular GPRS service defined, connection type GPRS, user name WAP@CINGULARGRPS.COM, APN is wap.cingular. I don't know what the password is but if you search here or in howardforums.com you will find it. These settings should come straight from the carrier, but sometimes you have to call them to have them resend them.

please give some more details on how to do this. i am a rookie and haven't read through the manual at all.

i took the SIMM out of my cell phone, so i'm not sure if that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I think it is Cingular and their network settings. The same reason many of us HAD, voicemail number dialing issues. The network was pushing garbage to the phone. I called and had them reconfigure my account and everything is smooth now on two phones. Worth a try. You need to get past bonehead CS rep on the first level though, be polite and you can do it.

Could you provide a little more info? What do you mean by reconfigure our account? The last thing I need happening is my $19.99 unlimited MW being screwed with...are you saying you experienced similar issues with blazer locking up your phone, you called Cingular and that fixed the lockups?
    1 | 2
    My data settings are correct, what do you mean by "have the carrier resend them" ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, just trying to find out if I already need a replacement.
    1 | 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    My data settings are correct, what do you mean by "have the carrier resend them" ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, just trying to find out if I already need a replacement.
    These phones have a number of settings that are defined by the carrier which control things like your plan features, voicemail, etc. It seems that at least with Cingular in some cases, these phones are not coming properly programmed in the box. It takes a OTA (over the air) update to get them right. And not just any OTA. On my first attempt I was calling just because I couldnt get MMS messages to work, and the CSR that "helped" me screwed up my phone BAD. The second CSR I called noticed what the first had done and fixed it. These updates are sent to your phone OTA, so they will have you power off the phone and power it back up.

If, for example, you are supposed to have MediaWorks but have DataConnect (or something like that), the system may be confused, which in turn makes any OTA sent to your phone confusing and a possible cause for resets. These CSR configuration systems are far from perfect. A call to your carrier CSR and verification that all your settings are correct should be a prudent last step before assuming your phone is bad.
  13.    #13  
    since i swapped simms, should i call cingular with the simm in my cell? i have an unlocked treo if that matters.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Gah! It sounds like the voicemail push issue (my constant resets); what does this mean -- it won't alert us to how many voicemails there are once we deactivate it?
  15.    #15  
    i really hope i don't have a defective unit. strange that 3 or 4 of us in this thread are having the same issue.
  16.    #16  
    i must have a defective unit. the thing just reboots on it's own. don't they test these damn things? not a good start. not happy with this unit at all.
    I'm going to call Palm, I seem to be having almost identical issues as you.
    1 | 2
    Anyone know how they deal with exchanges? Do I have to send this back and wait for a replacement?
    1 | 2
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    Anyone know how they deal with exchanges? Do I have to send this back and wait for a replacement?

yeah, i'd like to know to. this thing is UNSTABLE. i waited weeks and weeks for this thing and it's a piece o' crap. i am so disappointed. is there anyway to reinstall the OS? i'll be BS if i have to wait another 2 weeks for a unit. maybe this is a sign to get something else.

my unit is unlocked. is yours? maybe it is only the unlocked units that suck.
    Ya, p1 branded, unlocked, I'm on hold right now.
    1 | 2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast