1.    #1  
    I just installed MMPlayer, and have some movies in XVid format that I would like play on my treo. Are there any free/cheap encoders that can change the resolution of XVid files? The XVid files I have are at a higher resolution than 320x320 and MMPlayer says that it cannot decode real time because of the resolution. Because of that, the video is REALLY choppy and the sound doesn't sync.

Will PocketDVD does this for me? I already have a bunch of shows/movies in .avi format, and would like to convert them to play on my Treo. Any information would be appreciated.
    virtualdub is free and it'll let you transcode your movies.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

3.    #3  
    Thanks I will look into it.
    Tekara, just wanted to thank you for your instructions on your web site for converting DVDs for use with MMPlayer. I've been using those instructions (slightly modified due to my new 650, using xVid codec instead, and issues with the Audio bitrate you specify in the Virtualdub Section) but other than that it works great and doesn't cost me anything (except for MMPlayer).

Thanks again!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Tekara, just wanted to thank you for your instructions on your web site for converting DVDs for use with MMPlayer. I've been using those instructions (slightly modified due to my new 650, using xVid codec instead, and issues with the Audio bitrate you specify in the Virtualdub Section) but other than that it works great and doesn't cost me anything (except for MMPlayer).

Thanks again!
    Thank you scottymomo, for letting me know about the thread Tekara started and the website. Really great information! So I thank you both.

However, could you explain the tweaks you made because of your 650. I followed the instructions, but Virtualdub will not convert it because it brings up an error box "Error initializing audio compression: The requested conversion is not possible". Have you run into this? I have tried playing with different bitrates, but have had no luck.

Also, what kps rate did you select in the XVid configuration.

Again, thanks to both of you and any information or help is appreciated.
    oh! ha, that's right, I do have a webpage about converting avi's. . . been a while since I've updated that.

Uhm, the problem with the audio is not unexpected, try using a different codec, unfortunately that was one aspect that I couldn't iron out to the point where I was comfortable with spreading that information as defacto.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous