Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As a recent transfer from Tmobile to Cingular I'm not that impressed with EDGE. Using dslreports.com/mspeed I consistently only get 25 to 30 kbit/sec here in Memphis, TN. I was getting that on Tmobile, and they don't have Edge. Additionally, when using PDANet on Tmobile I could easily surf the web via my laptop. Using PDANet with Cingular's data network is horrible. It can take a full minute to load a small web page. Has anyone else experienced these problems? I'm wondering if I have a problem with my phone or if the Cingular Edge data network is more hype than not. Additionally, I'm using MediaWorks, not sure if that limits my data transfer speeds. I was told it didn't, but who knows?
    What's your signal strength while browsing?
    According to the coverage map, you are in EDGE territory, but transfer speed may depend on signal strength, distance from a tower, line of sight, etc.

http://www.attwireless.com/global/ma...nu=Y&zip=37501
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Right - EDGE performance will vary for a lot of reasons. I'm using Cingular EDGE in Boston at the moment, and it's noticeably faster than what a swa in the same regions on T-Mobile GPRS. When I run tests on the Treo, I'm seeing over 100kbps consistently when I have good signal, around 50-60 in some areas with less signal.
  4.    #4  
    My signal tends to vary slightly at my home, anywhere from two to four bars. I've tried connecting in other areas around the city with full signal strength, but still get the slow connection speeds. I wonder if Cingular reset my account settings if that would help? So, am I the only one seeing such low connection speeds on Cingular with the 650? If so, either it's my phone or their data network in this area.
    I'm guessing the data network. I live in an EDGE area and my speed varies greatly. Never seen over 100k (more like 70 or so at best) but better than the 30k or so I was getting on my 600.

I tried it with sprint and got 110K on my treo browser
    I have an ATT data plan and use a Sony Edge PC Card GC82. I'm consistently getting 150kbit/sec.

Then I run the same test on my Cingular 650 from the same location and get no better than 70kbit/sec.

Someone explain to me why this is?
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnauman
    I tried it with sprint and got 110K on my treo browser
    LOL, stop bragging about Sprint speed.

Btw, I got 142kbps on Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by freit5
    I have an ATT data plan and use a Sony Edge PC Card GC82. I'm consistently getting 150kbit/sec.

Then I run the same test on my Cingular 650 from the same location and get no better than 70kbit/sec.

Someone explain to me why this is?
    If you ask Cingular tech support they will tell you: "Sir, we can't make your phone go any faster. That's just how the Internet works."

While partially true about the Internet speed variations, Wireless cards have always achieved greater speeds under the same conditions. PDA devices do not take same advantage of the bandwidth as PC cards. They tend to settle for slower speeds. I consistently get faster speeds with wireless cards.
    I average about 115-125kbits/sec on the mspeed test. Long Island/NY
  11.    #11  
    I'm beginning to believe it has something to do with available bandwidth. I was up at 1 am this morning and tried the speed test and it measured 101 kbit/sec. During peak hours I'm consistently getting 30 to 40 kbit/sec, so it's gotta be related to bandwidth. You would think they would have more capacity here in Memphis. At this point I'm not impressed with Edge.
    I commute between Long Island and NYC daily.

AT&T - Cingular

On my 600, I could not get a shoutcast feed to be stable (always "buffering").. EVER. Now with my 650, I rarely if ever get buffering.

With the mspeed test, I get between 50-120 kbps depending on location.
    is there any way to look ont he phone and see if you are connecting to EDGE?
    I'm also in NYC, in midtown and cant get anything fast.
    My speed tests show like 20kb.
    I verified I havea 64k sim and i am using the 19.99Cingular media plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by animalchin
    Nope, you can't tell between GPRS and EDGE other than the speed really...

Quote Originally Posted by animalchin
    I'm also in NYC, in midtown and cant get anything fast.
    My speed tests show like 20kb.
    I verified I havea 64k sim and i am using the 19.99Cingular media plan.
    What speed test did you use?

Http://dslreports.com/mspeed

Use html 50K, 100K, and 200K, not the wap 5K test
    I was in Hoboken yesterday and got 128kb doing the 200k speed test. ATM, I have the $39.99 PDAdata plan with Cingular. I'll probably go down to the $25 MWorks unlimited.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    I get between 230 kbit/s - 375 kbit/s in Xiino in nyc.

I do notice that late at night in my apartment sometime I loose the connection for 15-20 minutes, usually around the same time.

Cingy/Att Edge rocks the socks

Just for reference with blazer I typically get 82 - 140kbit/s

I think Blazer slows stuff down a lot for some reason. You guys should try the demo of Xiino and see what you get.
    Last edited by evildead; 02/18/2005 at 01:58 PM.
    Spike, I'm in Memphis too and have been less than impressed with the speed of the EDGE network. I came from a 600 on the Sprint network which I used A LOT and in my opinion, the speed of that setup smoked what I'm seeing with the 650 and EDGE.

Patrick
    <strong>Patrick</strong><br>Palm Pilot Professional -> Palm IIIc -> Samsung i300 (Sprint) -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Cingular) -> Treo 750 (Cingular)
    MacUser..

just out of curiosity, why would you prefer an unlocked GSM Treo 650 over the Cingular model.. I picked up a Cingular 650 a week ago, now your making me wonder if there is something I am missing ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Love_the_650
    MacUser..

just out of curiosity, why would you prefer an unlocked GSM Treo 650 over the Cingular model.. I picked up a Cingular 650 a week ago, now your making me wonder if there is something I am missing ?
    If you have no plans to travel outside the US and use your phone and a prepaid SIM card, and no plans to switch carriers then you should be okay.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast