1.    #1  
    In a nutshell, all the presribed hands-free operations appear to work correctly, both started from the Parrot or from the Treo 650 (the former requires the 650 to be in Bluetooth 'wakeup' mode). Contacts can be sent to the CK3300 via Bluetooth, but they do not 'sync' like the phone nubmers list does. Oh well... *that* I can deal with.

When attempting to update the CK3300 with new firmware, it's important to note that the Parrot firmware updater application works only with Bluetooth virtual serial ports 1-4. I had Bluetooth HotSync set to port 4 and the Parrot updater set to port 5... no joy. After an afternoon of pulling my hair out, I switched the port numbers and voila'. Of course none of this crap is documented anywhere.

Recently received my TomTom 2004 software and loaded it as well as the 4.42 Treo 650 and Tungsten update. I am on my 3rd day of jerking around with the Bluetooth GPS on the Parrot and am still no closer to determining if it's the TomTom software or the Parrot that doesn't play well with others. I have the unit hooked up to a 12V 1.2a wall-wart and the gps antenna perched out on my window sill outside my home office with a beautiful view to the northern sky (be dammed if I'm going to waste a day installing the thing in my car and then not have it work, right?).

So when TomTom fires up, after about 15-30 seconds it prompts me to select the GPS device and of course the Parrot is shown in a list of nearby or trusted devices. I select it and I hear a reassuring 'bing' then followed by another 'bing' to which the Parrot display shows 'Headset' where the 'Sprint' label used to appear. Also there is no signal strength meter and the Phone Book and other various 'phone'-related functions from the Parrot menu are grey-ed out. TomTom shows 'No GPS Device' and the Parrot's GPS information menu shows 'disconnected'. This is where the story begins and ends. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the malfunciton is. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall TomTom and see if that helps at all.

Any experience or wisdom would be most appreciated.

I'll update with any progress.

-Ted
    I am having the same problem! I noticed that the gps antenna plug has a loose fit to the "brain" module, so I am gonna rip mine apart to see if the conection came apart.

Everything you describe is happening to me exactly, as far as trying to pair tomtom with the ck-3300 GPS. I get the "headset" display on my ck-3300 as well. Please post back if/when you find a solution. I will do the same.

Gotta love this early adopter stuff...

car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
  3.    #3  
    It appears to be a problem with TomTom. I just d/l'ed Mapopolis and it linked up with the Parrot CK3300 on GPS no problem. I've got calls into TomTom right now.

-Ted
    Yes, I notified them of a related issue (calls won't come in over the Bluetooth headset after I use TomTom. I have to turn on and off Bluetooth for it to work again). They said it's a known issue they are working on.
  5.    #5  
    Just got a voicemail from TomTom and the Navigator 2004 software does not use virtual serial ports via bluetooth for GPS communication for some reason... so the Parrot CK3300 will not work with TomTom 2004 unless there's an update coming.

Makes me wonder what 3rd party GPS receivers they've actually tested. Every BT GPS receiver I'm aware of uses a virtual serial connection to the host.

Good news is that Mapopolis does work, though GPS disconnects when you receive a call, which is probably desireable anyway.

So what now? Parrot says they've tested it with TomTom... probably on PocketPC, not Palm. Damn aggrivating if you ask me.

I think I'm returning TomTom unless someone wants my slightly used CD set for $149.

-Ted
    Does anybody know if this problem has been sorted out? I just got a Treo 650 and was planning on installing Parrot CK3300 with Tom Tom navigation software in my car.

Thanks a lot.
    Does anybody know if this problem has been sorted out? I just got a Treo 650 and was planning on installing Parrot CK3300 with Tom Tom navigation software in my car.
    The Ck-3300 bluetooth GPS does NOT work with Tom Tom.
    My reccommendation is for you to save your money and get the
    CK-3100 kit and use the wireless bluetooth GPS that comes with the
    Tom Tom 2004 palm bundle. It works amazingly well.

I spent an extra $150 for the Ck-3300 and have not been able to use the
    blue tooth GPS at all. I wish I would have just gotten the CK-3100.

If you just dont want the hassle of recharging the bluetooth Tom Tom GPS, then buy a seidio TREO 650 cradle with the hard wired GPS.

Hope this helps.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Thanks so much for the advice; looks like you saved me a lot of hassle.

Another question from a novice: do you need to have a supplementary SD or MMC card to store the navigation maps on, or can they be stored directly on the device? If the former, any advice about specific cards that would maximize speed of I/O for the navigation?

Nothing like being an early adopter and total tech moron...

Many thanks!
    Another question from a novice: do you need to have a supplementary SD or MMC card to store the navigation maps on, or can they be stored directly on the device? If the former, any advice about specific cards that would maximize speed of I/O for the navigation?
    I am pretty sure that you could store maps in RAM, but the maps take up alot of room, so if you wanted an entire state or region of the country you woould definately need to store the maps on a SD card. I was reading somewhere that if you loaded the entire U.S. (detailed) in TOM TOM it would take about a gig of space up.

I currently use a simpletech 256MB pro-x SD card, which is supposed to be pretty darn fast card. I paid a premium for it because it was a faster card. I have michigan/ohio and the entire province of ontario loaded (all detailed) and in shows that I used up 119.2MB on the card!!!!!

You should visit the SD card forum and see what is the fastest card (within reason) to get. I have never had any sort of speed problems with my pro-x card and I am very happy with it. The only regret I have is only having 256MB. If I were to do it today, I would have bought a 1 gig card without question (possibly a 2 gig card, when/if they ship) I bought my card for my treo 600 when 512MB was the biggest they made. Dont buy a regular speed card, some of them can be too slow for video/audio media playback. I am not sure if it even makes a difference for GPS navigation.

hope this helps.
    car_designer
    much obliged for the advice, CD

I am going to do what you suggested and go with the safer CK3100 approach with the Tom Tom bundle. I'll let you know how it turns out
    Another thing to think about is that Tom Tom is in the process of coming out with a new updated navigation package for the palm platform called Tom Tom Navigator 5. It is supposed to have superior maps, real time traffic information, and the GPS that is included is a newer and better generation of GPS technology (sirfstar3 instead of sirfstar2)

People on this forum have stated that they have been told that there will be free upgrades from tom tom navigator 2004---> tom tom navigator 5. I havent seen anything in writing though. It might be worth the relatively short wait to pick up the newer version.

Something to think about.
    car_designer
    Every time I'd go to the Seido site and click on the 650 GPS solution, the only one which comes up is the CDMA solution here:

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...=CK8CG25MTR650

Drilling down thru the folders however and I come up with this:

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...TR650C10AS3M0D

Which appears to be a wired solution and a BT solution is a few bucks more. Couple of questions:

1. IIRC, a wired option gives you the option of using the phone. What, if any, limitations exist here ? Using the Treo BT headset right now if it's relevant.

2. My favorite GPS software came from the Chicago Map Corp as the entire US fit ona single CD ROM. Anyone know the size of the full US maps from TomTom and Mapopolis ?

3. I already have the full maps from Delome in varios forms... Street Atlas, 3D Top and 3D quads (incluing X-Map or whatever Delorme calls their PDA software, representing a $500+ investment. Anyone know if these work ?