Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm on GoodLink, but the competition on the Treo should be good.

I saw this on Treonauts...
    http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/02/blackberry_conn.html
    That'd be great, if my company support Blackberry.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I wonder if anyone knows exacty how the blackberry gets mail pushed to it.

Does is use a constant idle GPRS connection like Chatter Email?

Perhaps it receives multiple messages through the SMS network and downloads just the attachments through GPRS.

I would be really curious to know, seeing that Chatter Email is a real battery hog.
    That is good news.

Maybe the Blackberry solution will solve the timezone problem we have with our Palm OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by superjimbo801
    I wonder if anyone knows exacty how the blackberry gets mail pushed to it.

Does is use a constant idle GPRS connection like Chatter Email?

Perhaps it receives multiple messages through the SMS network and downloads just the attachments through GPRS.

I would be really curious to know, seeing that Chatter Email is a real battery hog.
    We have a blackberry server at work... it scans through all incoming email and when it has one for a blackberry user it automatically pushs it to the device. You don't have to wait for it to sync. I know if you use corporate blackberry with tmobile that the gprs can't connect while you are on the phone.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    It is mostlilkly doing the same thing that the BB devices do...it uses the built in PIN number of the device for the PUSH. THink of it as a silent phone call. I dont know if the standalone BB does all its transactions via this "silent" call, or if it then connects back to "pull" the email (similar to what 7's business connectdoes). In any case, being able to leverage off the BES servers for corp email would be great. Does anyone know if the beta is availible for testing through RIM reps or if it internal only?
    Anyone know how to get on the Beta program?
    I wonder if that app has to be open to work or will it run in the background with push email all the time.
    I just called BB and they said at this time it's only available for the manufacturers.
    only open to the manufacturers? hmmm how did treonauts get it !
    Last edited by Kenundrum; 02/14/2005 at 02:13 PM.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by cjc977
    We have a blackberry server at work... it scans through all incoming email and when it has one for a blackberry user it automatically pushs it to the device. You don't have to wait for it to sync. I know if you use corporate blackberry with tmobile that the gprs can't connect while you are on the phone.
    So it proably makes an outgoing IP connection to the phone. The phone is constantly in GRPS standy mode, awaiting live data. The phone probably requires a real IP address for this to work.

I'm curious as to what makes the Blackberry so good on batteries.

Chatter just kind of sits an waits for data, the radio is not draining extra power while it's waiting. Chatter still sucks a lot of juice, although managable.

I wonder if the Blackberry client would incur the same battery drain on the Treo that chatter does.

Mabe the Blackberry, not being limited by IMAP standards, can compress it's traffic and put the delivery of several emails into one nice slim byte stream so the GPRS connection has to be on a LOT less.

hmmm....
    what does blackberry software do for us?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    I've always wondered this. I had a VZ BlackBerry 7750 for a little while. It was a great unit (minus the lack of software/expansion slot). We didn't have BES here at the Firm and I went through Verizon's servers to get email that was forwarded there. I found that my data connection WAS on pretty often. I would venture to say maybe even just as often as my Treo 600.

There are two theories that I have:

1) CDMA data disconnection is "lagged," which means that there's some latentency after you prompt your network data connection to disconnect. Those green arrows don't go away immediately. In fact, there are instances where they've been there for a good 30 seconds and then disappeared. I think this issue currently runs across all CDMA devices (BlackBerries, Treos, etc.)

2.) Perhaps there may be some small data packet trigger that alerts the arrival of email into BES. Think of it as a silent SMS (without the visual alert) being sent to your BB that subsequently triggers the "pushing" of the email from the server directly to the device. After the email is received on the device maybe there's another silent SMS/trigger that goes from the BB to the server telling it to completely shut the data connection down. Who knows? I'm not an IT guy, but I'm sure there's a sound, simple explanation for this. I believe this trigger mechanism is only available through BES.

Quote Originally Posted by superjimbo801
    So it proably makes an outgoing IP connection to the phone. The phone is constantly in GRPS standy mode, awaiting live data. The phone probably requires a real IP address for this to work.

I'm curious as to what makes the Blackberry so good on batteries.

Chatter just kind of sits an waits for data, the radio is not draining extra power while it's waiting. Chatter still sucks a lot of juice, although managable.

I wonder if the Blackberry client would incur the same battery drain on the Treo that chatter does.

Mabe the Blackberry, not being limited by IMAP standards, can compress it's traffic and put the delivery of several emails into one nice slim byte stream so the GPRS connection has to be on a LOT less.

hmmm....
    Last edited by illustreous; 02/14/2005 at 04:20 PM.
    Jimbo, the blackberry server actually communicates with blackberry (the company). I think they use the pin as you would for a phone number.

Naveen,

Because i already have the server... it would be easy enough to just set up my treo (if Fedex ever gets here)on it and have true push mail
    Moved.
    This would be even better if it became available on T600...
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by cjc977
    Jimbo, the blackberry server actually communicates with blackberry (the company). I think they use the pin as you would for a phone number.

Naveen,

Because i already have the server... it would be easy enough to just set up my treo (if Fedex ever gets here)on it and have true push mail
    so blackberry is always on email???
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Blackberry is push email. The hardware solution syncs all aspects of Exchange (and Notes) to their Blackberry devices. Blackberry Connect will do email, calendaring (it seems) and what appears to be Global Address Look-up on non-Blackberry devices for organizations that have deployed Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) for BB devices.
    ^i remember reading as well in blackberryforums.com, that the BB software for non RIM phones can do both BES and BWC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast