Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bump
    I can't wait. Do you think the software will be free, since you'll most likely need a blackberry account on your wireless plan to utilize it? I'm one of those still using a blackberry and a treo. Hoping to go to just one device.

Now I just wished the Treo had a jog dial.
    You guys waiting for BBC need to take a look at what it will be for the Treo: email.

Period.

Nothing else.

No calendar, contacts, nothing. It will support the Palm contact database, which is a 'hit' in some folks eyes against GoodLink, but no synchronization of Exchange/Outlook contacts or calendar. Plus, looks like installation is not too simple.

As for price, I HIGHLY doubt it will be free.

http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/mailblackberry.html
    Ok so i saw the same link you all are looking at and called palm and talked to a bunch of people about the bb connect before i got goodlink i do love goodlink but it is a shot in the foot when it comes to price and all i needed was email the other stuff is nice but not needed. so after spending like 5 hours talking to palm i was told that bb conect talked about on there web site is for the palm os that runs on the black berry not the treo. so i did somedigging and found out that yes palm wrote the OS for blackberry. and though in time im sure they will come out with a BB connect for treo they are not even in a bata form yet and are under contract with RIMM and can not compeate using BB conect
    GoodGuy-

1. My firm uses Notes .
    2. They support blackberry but not PDAs.

From an email explaining the policy.

"Why did the firm choose Blackberry over other PDA support?

Blackberry is Always On - You are instantly notified of new e-mail messages and calendar updates. All e-mail is real-time.
    Push vs. Pull - You do not need to manually initiate a connection. Blackberry uses Push technology, where new data (e-mail,calendar) is pushed out to the device. E-mail replies or calendar data on the Blackberry is pushed back to the server. On the Palm/Pocket PC device, you have to initiate a connection and "replicate" your mail locally to your device. You then make changes, re-connect and "replicate" again.
    Ease of Use - Blackberry does not use a stylus/touchpad, etc. It uses a thumb-wheel for navigation. Blackberry includes an easy-to-use keyboard for composing and replying to e-mail.
    Lower Cost of Ownership - Combined Phone/Blackberry devices are now priced beginning at $250.00, which individuals are responsible for.
    Lower Software Expense - PDA requires an xTND Connect license of $135. Blackberry requires a $60 user license.
    Adoption Rate - Based on existing users, 50% of users cancel their Palm/Pocket PC service. Only about 2-3% cancel their Blackberry service.
    Support Costs - By supporting only one platform, we can reduce support costs and negotiate better rates."
    Last edited by LouisW; 03/24/2005 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Typo
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    GoodGuy-

1. My firm uses Notes .
    Welp, that knocks us out right off the bat, however, I would like to address the other things anyway:

"Why did the firm choose Blackberry over other PDA support?

Blackberry is Always On - You are instantly notified of new e-mail messages and calendar updates. All e-mail is real-time.
    Push vs. Pull - You do not need to manually initiate a connection. Blackberry uses Push technology, where new data (e-mail,calendar) is pushed out to the device. E-mail replies or calendar data on the Blackberry is pushed back to the server. On the Palm/Pocket PC device, you have to initiate a connection and "replicate" your mail locally to your device. You then make changes, re-connect and "replicate" again.
    GoodLink meets all of these. We are push, not pull.

Ease of Use - Blackberry does not use a stylus/touchpad, etc. It uses a thumb-wheel for navigation. Blackberry includes an easy-to-use keyboard for composing and replying to e-mail.
    Treo has the 5-way nav button and full qwerty keyboard

Lower Cost of Ownership - Combined Phone/Blackberry devices are now priced beginning at $250.00, which individuals are responsible for.
    [/quote]
    Yes, Treo's cost more, but they are more than an email device. Get what you pay for.
    Lower Software Expense - PDA requires an xTND Connect license of $135. Blackberry requires a $60 user license.
    Have to look at the total cost of ownership. Desktop install (on any other BES besides 4.0), cradling required to provision, etc.
    Adoption Rate - Based on existing users, 50% of users cancel their Palm/Pocket PC service. Only about 2-3% cancel their Blackberry service.
    Support Costs - By supporting only one platform, we can reduce support costs and negotiate better rates."
    I can show vastly different numbers based on personal winbacks from BB accounts. Secondly, XTND vs GoodLink is an entirely different story from an end-user perspective.

Again, the fact that you are a Notes shop makes the point moot, however, in an Exchange environment, I will take on BB on all your points all day long.
    i think with all the legal problems facing bb, i think it may be a while till we may see the light of day. i guess i will have to use my old sytem of having my friends yell at me at work when we need to check our email
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    new page at Palm - at least I've never seen it before

http://www.palm.com/us/enterprise/pr...y_connect.html
    It'll be insteresting to see BBC in action. I've used Goodlink and have mixed feelings about it. It's quick and robust push mail, but:

It uses a proprietary file format so you can't use a 3rd party PIM with it. You're stuck with their very limited calender / contact interface.
    It's a memory hog and can't be installed on a memory card.
    It doesn't allow you to send attachments (or I could never figure out how to do that)
    It sucks the life out of the battery (although I'm guessing any push email system wil do that)

I liked it's push mail capability, but if email is all you need there are other solutions that work nearly as well using scheduled access that are far cheaper.
    FYI -- RIM and NTP settled today for $612 million. Hopefully that bodes well for the possibility of finally rolling out Blackberry Connect.

http://finance.myway.com/ht/nw/bus/2...s-wen2153.html
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    So now that there has been a settlement and its been a few days, how many of us out here would use Blackberry Connect on their Treo? From what I read its going to be a sort of plug in for Versamail, which might be kind of neat. Do you think that just a regular user would be able to get a hold of this software and be able to use it? Like I asked before, who would use it? I am just curious.
    I would use it because I cannot get Chatter, et al, to work on the Treo600 and BB connect would allow me to keep the Treo (and maybe upgrade to 650). Otherwise I've got about 2 more weeks and it's goodbye Treo.
    For fun & profit & Christ,
    TWF in Chicago
    ^^^

Any developments here?
    elbastardocalvo
    I'm running on a deadline. Blackberry connect would save my Treo! Hopefully they release it soon.
    Airunz,
    Don't miss the deadline. Go with something else. This has been vaporware for years.
    Would be nice. Anyone out there have the beta and can at least confirm it is in beta?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12