1.    #1  
    I have seen older threads discussing this issue but was unable to glean enough to solve my problem.

I read that many others have successfully attached an antenna to their Treo 600, and I would like to be among them.

Several months ago, I purchased a multi-antenna set and Treo adapter from Cellantenna. When I got no signal boost, they sent me a replacement adapter. That didn't work either.

Although I bought the set to get a signal boost in my apartment, I have also tried taking the thing outside and walking and driving all over town with it, trying each of the different length antenna masts and get absolutely no signal boost anywhere. I also tried sticking the magnetic base on a filing cabinet, on my car etc. etc. to no avail.

They then offered to take everything back and said: they "believe the problem may lie with the phone itself. If the phone didn't work with the 2 different adapters, it may be that there is some defect with the phone's RF port. Since we stared selling these adapters, we have not had problems with them, unitil your situation."

I didn't want to send everything back, so I kept it all, hoping to figure out a solution, but haven't yet been able.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with BOTH these adapters? They look just like the ones on the Wilson site.

Or, if Cellantenna is right in saying that there may be: "some defect with the phone's RF port" how would I have that checked out since the Sprint guys insist that the port on the Treo 600 is not an antenna port and thus don't seem able or willing to fiddle with it?

Both adapters seem to fit snugly but when plugged in I really have no way of knowing whether they make complete electrical contact. Should I experiment by cutting the white plastic collar off one of the adapters? Would that allow it to plug in deeper into the port or just wreck the adapter?

TIA - I am hoping for some advice from those more knowledgeable than I am about electronics, or who have come up with a solution by any means, with or without detailed knowledge of how.
    Last edited by NateS; 02/14/2005 at 08:06 AM.
    It is an antenna port, but I have read in these posts that it is a testing port - that it wasn't designed to power an actual external antenna or sustain long term usage.

With that said, THB Bury does have a solution if you have a Treo 600. It's their "System 8" cradle. Contact Travis or Alan for more details or a catalog (www.thb-usa.com). It's a great solution, albeit an expensive one.

They're working on a solution for the Treo 650 but are waiting for P1 to release a car kit application - and are worried that they will not... see below

There have been some new developments regarding the Treo 650 cradle. The production process has been pushed back. The reason being is that now PalmOne is not sure they are going to develop a car-kit application/software for the Treo 650. Why this is I do not know. My guess would be that because the Treo 650 is Bluetooth they won’t have to waist their time in creating an application. I just found out this information. Of course the only bad thing about Bluetooth is that if you want to use it in handsfree mode it will not charge the Treo or use the external antenna capability.

THB is waiting for an answer from PalmOne to know for sure if they will or will not create the car-kit application for the Treo 650. I have no ETA on when this answer might come about. I am hoping for an answer within the week or two. I am still working a way around this issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Best Regards,
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Alan Jarvis
    General Manager
    I also bought an adapter from them, a few months ago. It does not work for me either. I need to contact them about it.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba
    It is an antenna port, but I have read in these posts that it is a testing port - that it wasn't designed to power an actual external antenna or sustain long term usage.

With that said, THB Bury does have a solution if you have a Treo 600. It's their "System 8" cradle. Contact Travis or Alan for more details or a catalog (www.thb-usa.com). It's a great solution, albeit an expensive one.

They're working on a solution for the Treo 650 but are waiting for P1 to release a car kit application - and are worried that they will not... see below
    Thanks, but:

I don't understand how can it work as an antenna port for a car-kit antenna but not work as an antenna port for an antenna?

In addition, many others have reported success with connecting cell antennas to the Treo 600 with an antenna adapter like mine. I'm wondering what they did to make it work. CellAntenna tells me it should work out of the box.

Since I already have a significant investment in my multi-antenna purchase and adapter, I naturally would first like to exhaust all efforts to make it work, especially since others have done so successfully.

Is there a way to test the port?

If the test says it's not functioning right is there a way to fix it?

And if the port isn't working, what would make it start working if I bought a car-kit and plugged it into that very same port?

Very confusing!

What do you think of my idea of cutting the outer white plastic sleeve off of one of my adapters?
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!