Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I ran FileZ on my Treo 650 and saw two huge files,

CalendarDB-PDat 1.8m
    DatebookDB 1.8m

both have the same number of record counts.

I was a Treo 600 user and upgraded by syncing the 650.

Does everyone have both these files?

Thanks!
    My CalendarDB file on my 650 is 2.1M and my DatebookDB is 1.5M

Guess that may mean that they don't hold the same data?
  3.    #3  
    Ah, thanks very much!

I was afraid that it was from the Treo 600 and wasn't deleted when I upgraded. This thing is a real memory hog, trying to free up as much space as I can.
    I always delete datebookDB addressDB, MemoDB, and tasksDB. Unless you are using 3rd party cal or contacts app you do not need these files.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    My vague understanding is that the calendar db is from the 650, the datebook db is a legacy db which certain 3rd party apps use, ie datebk5
    BOTH are from the 650. The calendar app now uses two databases. Calendar DB is the new one, and it contains extra fields that did not exist on old versions of the Palm (or Handspring) calendaring programs. BUT, there are many third party apps that expect the old format for the calendar, so Palm includes that database, too, to prevent breaking 3rd party apps.

You can safely delete the datebk db IF, and only if, you use no 3rd party tools that access the calendar. This includes obvious things like Datebk5, but could also include other 3rd party programs that interface with the datebk db, even though they're not primarily calendaring programs.

There is also a redundant copy of the Contacts database, for the same reason, and which you also can delete if you're certain you have no 3rd party apps that access the contacts database.

Note that they'll come back if you do a hard reset. There have been some reports of them coming back even without a hard reset. And if you're going to delete them, be sure to remove them from your backup directory before hotsyncing.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Seach for duplicates on either this or the comm formum. Above answer is sort of correct, as I think they come back after a soft reset. The guy who created Datebk5 has a little app that, if you are running DateBk5 (make sure you get the version for the Treo 650) erases two of these DB files (address and I forgot which other one) after a reset so that they do not take up all that space. Indeed, it is a real waste of space for there to be duplicates of all those 4 databases, given how very short memory is on the 650
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    BOTH are from the 650. The calendar app now uses two databases. Calendar DB is the new one, and it contains extra fields that did not exist on old versions of the Palm (or Handspring) calendaring programs. BUT, there are many third party apps that expect the old format for the calendar, so Palm includes that database, too, to prevent breaking 3rd party apps.

You can safely delete the datebk db IF, and only if, you use no 3rd party tools that access the calendar. This includes obvious things like Datebk5, but could also include other 3rd party programs that interface with the datebk db, even though they're not primarily calendaring programs.

There is also a redundant copy of the Contacts database, for the same reason, and which you also can delete if you're certain you have no 3rd party apps that access the contacts database.

Note that they'll come back if you do a hard reset. There have been some reports of them coming back even without a hard reset. And if you're going to delete them, be sure to remove them from your backup directory before hotsyncing.

Not true about DateBook5...It has been updated to use the new databases.

from the DB5 yahoo groups...

"If you have a Treo-650 or Tungsten T5 - read this ...

With one of these two devices, you have already realized that the
    inefficient NVFS storage is awfully expensive when storing small databases -
    especially on the Treo-650 which only has 24mb of available memory.

The worst part of this inefficiency is when a third party application tries
    to access one of the classic PalmSource PIM apps. As you know, the kludgy
    Datamanager patch steps in and creates a mirror of their proprietary
    database and populates it with the same number of records, but with NO data.
    Normally, this database takes up little room since the only space is taken
    up by the record header (I forget exactly, but the header is somewhere
    around 6-8 bytes in size). But with the inefficient NVFS storage whereby a
    512 byte sector only ever handles one record, these "empty" mirror database
    explode in size. For example, a database with 1,000 records will never be
    less than 512kb in size (1000 * 512 bytes), whereas on a regular Palm OS
    device that database would be only 6-8k or so - an almost hundredfold
    increase in size(!).

So the combination of NVFS AND the DM patch is a big problem storage-wise
    for Palm users of third party apps.

Now for some important information: the mirror databases ONLY get created if
    they are needed. V-5.4a, p7 of DateBk5 does not touch the Datebook database
    so the big mirror does not get created. BUT if you had previously installed
    an older version of DateBk, the mirror WAS created and won't go away by
    itself.

So the first step is to delete the DatebookDB database since your data is in
    the CalendarDB database. BUT - you have to be careful when deleting the
    DatebookDB database otherwise the palmOne DM Patch steps in and sees the
    delete of the datebook data and promptly mirrors the command into the
    calendar database, so both databases disappear. However, what you can do is
    delete just the Datebook database with a third party file utility like FileZ
    (which you can download from almost any Palm Software archive - I also keep
    a copy at: http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/filez.prc).

If you do that, the calendar data should remain intact, and you will gain
    back the storage taken by the unnecessary mirror of the Datebook database.
    Do the same for the Memos database - i.e. delete MEMODB with FileZ but leave
    the MEMOSDB alone. This will save quite a bit storage-wise!! In my case, I
    regained over 3mb of memory when I did that(!).

HOWEVER - caution is always advised - make sure you hotsync first AND that
    you have a good, separate backup of your Palm data, just in case something
    goes wrong.

Now keep in mind that ANY application that attempts to access the classic
    Datebook database will instantly cause the mirror database to reappear,
    gobbling up all that storage, so keep an eye out with FileZ in case they
    mysteriously re-appear!

I still suspect that some funny things are going on in the DM Patch, but
    everything above is something that I have done on my device and it
    definitely seems to work fine...

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc."If you have a Treo-650 or Tungsten T5 - read this ...
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the info. I will delete the file and the backup to it. Will post if any problems arise.
    I've been using CESD's little utility for a while now and am now running with the stock "CalendarDB-PDat" now without problems. Saves lots of space.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPetro
    I've been using CESD's little utility for a while now and am now running with the stock "CalendarDB-PDat" now without problems. Saves lots of space.
    CESD's utility is really good and saves the effort of having to manually delete those databases, provided you are running DateBk5. If you ever need to run dbScan or UnDupe, you'll need the old databases back. In that event, simply delete the CESD utility then HotSync and the databases will return in all of their space consuming glory.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPetro
    I've been using CESD's little utility for a while now and am now running with the stock "CalendarDB-PDat" now without problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    CESD's utility is really good and saves the effort of having to manually delete those databases, provided you are running DateBk5.
    BillPetro and MarkY, I feel really dense for asking this , and maybe I didn't read all the posts fully, but what is the name of this utility? Is it part of the DateBk5 install, or do I need to go get it from the pimlicosoftware.com website? Thanks!

And thanks, dutchtrumpet, for the info from the DateBk5 Yahoo group! Didn't know I could delete DatebookDB.....

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    Does anyone know if Agendus V9.02 requires those extra db's or can they be deleted?? Don't have my 650GSM yet but expect it over the next day or two, so I haven't tried it myself...thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    BillPetro and MarkY, I feel really dense for asking this , and maybe I didn't read all the posts fully, but what is the name of this utility? Is it part of the DateBk5 install, or do I need to go get it from the pimlicosoftware.com website? Thanks!

And thanks, dutchtrumpet, for the info from the DateBk5 Yahoo group! Didn't know I could delete DatebookDB.....

No need to apologize. The app is called DeletePIMs. It's not part of the regular DateBk5 file install and can be found here: http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/deletepims.prc
    I have asked this of Iambic. No reply as of yet. When I deleted in the past, I got wierd syncing problems on the mac. Could have been for other reasons as my 650 wasn't stable at the time (for various reasons). Maybe I'll try it again and report back...only think that makes me hesitate is that the damn thing is so solid right now.

Quote Originally Posted by wdunn
    Does anyone know if Agendus V9.02 requires those extra db's or can they be deleted?? Don't have my 650GSM yet but expect it over the next day or two, so I haven't tried it myself...thanks.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    No need to apologize. The app is called DeletePIMs. It's not part of the regular DateBk5 file install and can be found here: http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/deletepims.prc
    Thank you, Mark! I would have completely missed this otherwise....

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    DutchTrumpet: Thanks for the info. I didn't realize Datebk now used the new dbs.

I do think a word of CAUTION is appropriate, however. Note that the quote above refers to Datebk 5.4a-p7. p7 is NOT the version that's downloaded if you hit the main download link. The main download is 5.4a-s7. p7 is off to the right, in a small note in red text that says "V-5.4 Maintenance Release is REQUIRED for Tungsten T5/Treo650."

IF YOU HAVE A VERSION EARLIER THAN p7, AND DELETE THE DATBK DB, YOU MAY BE IN FOR A WORLD OF HURT.
    Bob Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    DutchTrumpet: Thanks for the info. I didn't realize Datebk now used the new dbs.

I do think a word of CAUTION is appropriate, however. Note that the quote above refers to Datebk 5.4a-p7. p7 is NOT the version that's downloaded if you hit the main download link. The main download is 5.4a-s7. p7 is off to the right, in a small note in red text that says "V-5.4 Maintenance Release is REQUIRED for Tungsten T5/Treo650."

IF YOU HAVE A VERSION EARLIER THAN p7, AND DELETE THE DATBK DB, YOU MAY BE IN FOR A WORLD OF HURT.
    good point
    Thanks all for pointing out the Datebk utility to remove the duplicate files. I freed up about 1.5 MB. Now have over 9 MB free (when I keep my email trash can cleared out). Maybe I'll move some programs back to RAM.
    Bob Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    I have asked this of Iambic. No reply as of yet. When I deleted in the past, I got wierd syncing problems on the mac. Could have been for other reasons as my 650 wasn't stable at the time (for various reasons). Maybe I'll try it again and report back...only think that makes me hesitate is that the damn thing is so solid right now.
    Ohmster,
    Searched iambic forums but couldn't find your inquiry...can you PM me/post a link and I'll tag on...I feel this is important based on the 650 memory size...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast