Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pattjin
    I have the roam option, and the only time I ever need it is in some parts of Tahoe, where the only thing that works on the slopes is Verizon. I have not been without signal since I enabled digital roaming.
    My Cingular phone works great at both Heavenly and Squaw in Tahoe, not to mention Mammoth.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Thanks to all for a great comparison about the Sprint and Cingular phones. I am buying a Treo 650 very soon and can't quite decide which one to get. My biggest issue are the data speeds and ability to work in my basement.

For those who asked above, the Mediaworks $19.99 plan for unlimited data on Cingular can be had from ordering a phone on Treocentral.com - this plan includes 1500 SMS messages as well. I'm not sure which other places offer this plan, nor do I care since I will be ordering my phone from treocentral.

My question has to do with the EDGE data plan on the Cingular service. From what I understand, EDGE has a much higher theoretical bandwith than the 1xRTT service Sprint offers with their unlimited Vision pack. From most practical reports, the data speeds on Sprint/Cingular are very close in most reigons of the country. Is there reason to think that in some months time the data rates for the Cingular service will increase? Am I thinking about this the wrong way or are these phone not actually using EDGE?

I'm in the Chicagoland area if that helps or anyone has a Treo650 coverage comment for this reigon. Thank again guys!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I've had all three: Sprint, Cingular and the unlocked GSM. Surprisingly, the Sprint CDMA version has better battery life.

Re: the original post: The battery on my Cingular and unlocked units sits firmly in place. With the cover off and the battery facing down (screen up) it will not fall out.
    Lisa G.
    Editor in Chief
    www.MobileTechReview.com
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Gantry,

My Sprint is faster is my Cingular...not by much 120k versus 110k. I've read that the CDMA signal travels through walls better. I know I can use my Sprint in elevators etc. where my GSM would lose the connection. The cingular phone though is using something thats faster than normal (must be EDGE). It really may come down to how the coverage compares in your area. Also, the sprint data plan may in the long run be cheaper unless you can still get unlimited mediaworks...only time will tell.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info Kevroc... The through walls things may be important because most phones have trouble in my basement. My cheapo tmobile phone works but barely, ditto with most other phones...

The mediaworks package is $19.99 per month on Treocentral, so I assume would get it for the entire two year plan. Though it's $5 more than Sprint, you get 1500 SMS packages, making it cheaper than the vision+sms combo by $5.
    Gantry -

I was a long time Cingular customer, but ultimately made the decision to go with Sprint. I have been very happy so far - great voice quality in Atlanta, and solid data avg ~ 100-120k. I have been amazed at my reception as well - CDMA is working in the same places I used to go with my GSM phone and not get reception. If you are looking for data reliability and good signal, I'd say go with Sprint. Coverage varies heavily by region, however, so try both out and pick the one that is best. Sprint gives you 14 days risk free, and Cingular 30 days.
    I have the same rounded battery in my unlocked GSM version, but it doesn't fall off as described here. I used both versions of the battery in my GSM phone and the one with the rounded edge actually seems to support the battery lid better so there is almost zero "give" on the left side of battery cover (as you hold the Treo when you use it).
    To me one of the biggest "side by side" disadvantages of the GSM 650, is that so far you just can't get insurance on Cingular GSM!

I think that's going to be the deal-breaker for me and send me over to Sprint...

I remember reading somewhere that Cingular is reconsidering the insurance program for the Treo, but none of the reps I've spoke to thus far have given me any reason to hope Cingular insurance i coming.

Anyone hear anything different?
    I have insurance on my 650 with Cingular. In fact, it was never an issue. Ordered my 650 from telesales, asked for the insurance, they gave me a cost for it, and added it to my plan. The insurance shows up on my plan on their web site. Not sure why others have had trouble getting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 650now
    I have insurance on my 650 with Cingular. In fact, it was never an issue. Ordered my 650 from telesales, asked for the insurance, they gave me a cost for it, and added it to my plan. The insurance shows up on my plan on their web site. Not sure why others have had trouble getting it.
    What was the cost?

Still, the store I went to here in Atlanta told me they won't be covering the 650 under any insurance plans.
    You'll think you have insurance, until you file a claim... then expect to get credited for your payments, that's all. Common knowledge around here--look into it. Cingular doesn't insure the RAZR, SX66, or Treos.

Todd/Indy
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12