1.    #1  
    Help. I am getting a new phone and service.

I'd like to have a GSM T650 that I can use in Europe and Asia with local SIMs. From reading the threads, I belive getting a Cingular orange phone and request them to unlock it is my best bet.

I need to activate a new line of service anyway so getting an unlocked T650 from PalmOne doesn't seem like the best deal.

Is it true that if I get the phone from a Cingular blue store I will not be able to request the unlock? i.e. I have to get it from the orange side of singular?

My company has a business program with the old ATT Wireless. I am afraid if I get a T650 through the program, the phone could not be unlocked.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    I have an ATT 650. They say they do not have the unlock codes. I am returning the phone and have purchased a Palmone unlocked version. It is rediculous that they will not unlock the phone, particularly when I can not use a Cingular Sim in the phone and have to be stuck with an ATT plan that has 500 less minutes per month than the same priced Cingular plan.
  3.    #3  
    How does one know if one is getting a orange phone?

Does ordering from the Cingular.com site guarantee that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ypshan
    How does one know if one is getting a orange phone?

Does ordering from the Cingular.com site guarantee that?
    I can't imagine any scenario in which you'd be sent a blue phone when ordering from Cingular.
    1 | 2
    If you are buying a phone to use in Europe or asia, your best bet is to get an unlocked phone. You can try to get a Cingular phone and get them to unlock it, but it seems like a hit or miss thing. Carriers are subsidizing the cost of the phone under the expectation that you will use the phone with their service. If you get a contract with them, it seems reasonable for them to unlock it, but I haven't seen an official, consistent policy.
  6.    #6  
    I could also get an unlocked phone from PlamOne. However, I am concerned that I may have to figure out how to make the Cingular services work on that phone. E.g. desktop e-mail redirecter, internet access, etc. Am I worrying too much?

I am also not sure what to do after I receive the phone from PlamOne. Should I go to a Cingular store and sign a contract to get a SIM to pop into the T650?

What plan should I get?
  7.    #7  
    By the way, on the other thread I've seen people getting T650 from Cingular with no contract (paid a higher price but still $100 less than the unlocked T650 from PalmOne). Cingular would unlock it the same day if you call tech support. Is that a better way to go?
    Quote Originally Posted by ypshan
    I could also get an unlocked phone from PlamOne. However, I am concerned that I may have to figure out how to make the Cingular services work on that phone. E.g. desktop e-mail redirecter, internet access, etc. Am I worrying too much?

I am also not sure what to do after I receive the phone from PlamOne. Should I go to a Cingular store and sign a contract to get a SIM to pop into the T650?

What plan should I get?
    Questions, Questions! I think you are worrying too much. All people that buy palmOne unlocked Treos get it to work fine with their GSM carrier of choice. Just call them up and tell them you have a phone from palmOne and want to get service from them. You could go into a store to get your SIM, it is faster and more convenient.

As to what plan to get, well, that depends on what your use is. That is a very personal question. There is some confusion with the available MediaWorks packages available, so check the website after entering your zip code to see what is available in your area.