1.    #1  
    Hi,

What's faster? Syncing with Bluetooth to Powerbook or using the cradle/cable?

clarko
    cradle by far
    Quote Originally Posted by clarko
    Hi,

What's faster? Syncing with Bluetooth to Powerbook or using the cradle/cable?

clarko
    USB data rates are at least 12Mbps (480Mbps possible if you're using USB 2.0, but I'm not sure if the Treo supports transfers at that speed). Bluetooth 1.1 (spec level supported by the Treo) maxes out at about 720kbps. So using the cradle will always be much faster than Bluetooth.
    i sink via bt, most of the time.
    while not as fast as cable, it is plenty fast, normally.

however, if i have taken alot of pix, i always use the cable.
    images via bt are very slow.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    USB data rates are at least 12Mbps (480Mbps possible if you're using USB 2.0, but I'm not sure if the Treo supports transfers at that speed). Bluetooth 1.1 (spec level supported by the Treo) maxes out at about 720kbps. So using the cradle will always be much faster than Bluetooth.
    To make matters worse, the BT Hotsync support for the Treo passes through a virtual serial port, therefore all you get is 57,600 bps (default) to maybe 115,200 bps if you change the speed in the Hotsync config on the Treo. I haven't measured the throughput to determine if changing the speed actually works. However, it will always be sub-par until PalmOne creates a native BT connection for Hotsync that doesn't rely on the serial port limitations.

Serial ports can be tweaked to 230,400 bps and possibly beyond but it requires an advanced UART at the hardware level, so it's not widely supported.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    Yep, no comparison. However, if you add in the time and effort it takes to dig around my bag for the cable and plug it into my laptop, it's a bit closer. I also use BackupBuddy (desktop version), which lets you disable backup when doing bluetooth syncs. That speeds it up a lot! Of course, I still use the cable to make sure everything gets backed up, but turning it off for bluetooth sync is great.
    Bluetooth is about 7-10x slower than the cradle. Which is OK if you're just syncing names and numbers. For app loading, use the hardwire.