1.    #1  
    Hey all,

Iambic software (Action Names, Tiny Sheet, All Time, etc.) has just released version 3.0 of Tiny Sheet with color support and other important enhancements/features. BUT . . . registered users of the current product are expected to pay *full* price for the new version. Does anyone else think this stinks?

Many Palm developers offer free lifetime upgrades. This is, of course, nice, but I want to support the Palm development community, and so I don't mind paying for an upgrade once in a while. But having to pay *full price* for an upgrade is absolutely ridiculous and more or less unheard of on any platform.

I think this really stinks and Iambic should be more supportive of their loyal customers.

This is a warning to others considering Iambic products. Feel free to chime in with your opinions, accusations, flames, etc.

John

------------------
    jawalsh@indiana.edu
    http://php.indiana.edu/~jawalsh/
    Did they give you an explanation as to why they were doing that?
  3.    #3  
    Homer,

Glad you asked. :-)

Iambic has posted their upgrade policy for Tiny Sheet at http://www.iambic.com/pilot/tinysheet/ts30/upgrade.stm .

In particular they address the question "Why is there no free upgrade for previous customers?"

Their answer is, in my opinion, pretty lame. They say, " TinySheet 3.0, however, is a major new application with scores of new capabilities and features. iambic Software has invested a significant amount of time and money to produce it. Because of these very real costs, iambic Software has decided in this special case not to make this a free upgrade."

This is true for most major upgrades, and many Palm developers offer major upgrades for free. And again, I'm not opposed to paying a reasonable upgrade fee, but I am opposed to paying full price for an upgraded product for which I've already paid full price once.

They also address the related question, "Why not offer a special reduced price upgrade?"

Their answer:

"We seriously considered this and would have liked to offer this benefit to our valued customers. However, for a variety of logistical reasons and business reasons, we could not come up with a clean, efficient, and fast method to offer a reduced price upgrade."

Other Palm developers, however, survive and even thrive while offering upgrades for free or for a modest price. Iambic should be able to do this also. Curiously, if one installs Tiny Sheet 3 and tries to enter an old license key, one gets the following message, "Sorry, a problem has occurred: This license is for an older version. You can receive a specially priced upgrade at: <A HREF="http://www.iambic.com"." TARGET=_blank>www.iambic.com".</A> This statement, of course, is contradicted by the more recent info on their web site.

[This message has been edited by jawalsh (edited 06-15-2000).]
    Yup...that's pretty lame. Obviosly they do not value their current customers.

The biggest (and, typically, easiest) revenue stream for a succesful software company is with upgrades to their existing user base.

Of course it costs money to create upgrades, but if they only offer the upgrade a full price, then there is no real reason for a person to stick with that product. At that point, the user will, once again, comparison shop among products to find the one that meets their needs and prices.

Sounds like a poor business decision to me. I think you have a right to be upset.
    I agree, it's lame! I now know for sure if I decide to get a spreadsheet it will be Quicksheet.

Most businesses realize that it's cheaper to keep an existing customer than to attract and acquire a brand new one. I think the full-price upgrade will blow up in their face.

[This message has been edited by PaulD (edited 06-15-2000).]
  6.    #6  
    Hi all,

I started this thread, and I wanted to say that I contacted Iambic with my concerns, and they addressed my concerns in a satisfactory manner. Based on my experience with Iambic, and my overall satisfaction with both Action Names and Tiny Sheet, I feel comfortable recommending Iambic to other PalmOS users.
    Great. You belly-ached in a public fourm and they cut you a break. But did they change their policy? I am very much interested, as I will be considering registering their product for the first time shortly.

Hello,

In regards to the recent post(s) regarding iambic Software's upgrade policy, a few issues should be clarified:

1. iambic Software extended it's offer to a free upgrade for all users that purchased a license on or after 01/15/00.

2. Since then we have released quite a few free updates and a free conduit to excel which greatly enhances the functionality of the program for free.

3. As far as offering free upgrades for life, we would rather not make this guarantee which would effectively mean that future development would be limited. Also, the current logistical issues involved in verifying the registration of all US and International Customers, prevents us from offering this option at the present time.

4. Most importantly, Tiny Sheet ($19.95 ) has a lower cost, compared to the many other less effective spread sheets available.

At iambic software we take pride in listening to our customers and we appreciate your feedback. If you could, please direct any comments or question to our Sales department at sales@iambic.com or if you have a tech support related question please send them to support@iambic.com.

Jeff Wayman
    Sales Department
    iambic Software

[This message has been edited by iambic Software (edited 06-21-2000).]
    Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but...

It amazes me how many reps from different companies drop by VC and respond to our posts. I know of Innogear and GeoDiscovery having dropped by a few times. It's nice to see them get involved and address our issues.

Welcome, Iambic Software.
    Originally posted by Nhatman:
    Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but...

It amazes me how many reps from different companies drop by VC and respond to our posts. I know of Innogear and GeoDiscovery having dropped by a few times. It's nice to see them get involved and address our issues.

Welcome, Iambic Software.

I totaly agree!! way to go VC!
    to all companies: welcome on VC, read the real-live experiences of your (potential) customers and learn from it.... this may get you more (happy) customers!
    I'd like to thank Iambic as well...it's always nice to see actual companies listen and respond to users in public forums (well, except for a certain unnamed inventor ;o) )
    OK, now I feel a little bad for kinda ripping on Iambic. Their response is very logical, and the verbage regarding not wanting to tie themselves to a guarantee of lifetime free upgrades makes sense.

Sorry guys!

That being said, since they've added a conduit to Excel... and it's $19.95... I'm getting tempted...
    Originally posted by PaulD:
    OK, now I feel a little bad for kinda ripping on Iambic. Their response is very logical, and the verbage regarding not wanting to tie themselves to a guarantee of lifetime free upgrades makes sense.

Sorry guys!

That being said, since they've added a conduit to Excel... and it's $19.95... I'm getting tempted...
    maybe you could change the name of this topic and remove the 'it sucks'-part ....

Just to clear my name, Toolkit, I am innocent of starting this one! Although you're right, it kinda looks bad that the title is out there with "it sucks."

But, maybe people will read it, see that the people involved in the discussion really don't think it sucks now, and all will turn out nicely.

This could be a new trend in advertising - reverse psychology!