Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just posted new thread about all this (sorry, should have read this before). Phone ops tell me so many different things. Apparantly mmode is designed for WAP enabled phones (wireless application protocol?) and not a true HTML (like the 650) and has to convert everything to text (therefore theoretically slower), so the data plans from ATT and cingular (mobile internet plan vs. mmedia respectively) allow for true HTML, faster, but more costly. I notice some forum users are able to get mmode for 24.99 and still enjoy the speed and capabilities of HTML on there 650"s. Is this true? because I would really like to know the best option. Cost is an issue but not if it hinders speed and true capabilities. Let me know
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    If memory serves, I think the $4.99 "T-Zones" data package from T-Mobile blocks a number of ports. (port 80, VPN.... ,etc) Depending on your needs, this may not be a big deal. Their $19.99 plan, however, doesn't block anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by awesterink
    I read somewhere that the Media Net plan does not work with VPN software. Apparently Media Net does not give you a real IP address, but uses NAT. The $40 PDA plan apparently does give you a real IP address.
    This is true for me. I was playing with Mergic Ping, and Bluetooth DUN and I defintely get a NATTED IP address.

I'm not sure that having a real IP really would be an advantage, unless some program was trying to contact my phone, but I don't know that I want that to be possible, NAT is certainly safer.

I can definitely not listen for incomming connection, say via a Java Midlet or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by gumguy
    I just posted new thread about all this (sorry, should have read this before). Phone ops tell me so many different things. Apparantly mmode is designed for WAP enabled phones (wireless application protocol?) and not a true HTML (like the 650) and has to convert everything to text (therefore theoretically slower), so the data plans from ATT and cingular (mobile internet plan vs. mmedia respectively) allow for true HTML, faster, but more costly. I notice some forum users are able to get mmode for 24.99 and still enjoy the speed and capabilities of HTML on there 650"s. Is this true? because I would really like to know the best option. Cost is an issue but not if it hinders speed and true capabilities. Let me know
    I've been using the original MediaWorks that was available up until last week. While I don't get a real IP address, I get consitent speeds of 110/kbit sec or more using dslreports mobile speed test.

Through bluetooth DUN, the speed takes a hit, down about 25% or 50% depending what baud rate you set your buetooth connection to. However I had no problem surfing from my laptop via bluetooth or using any outgoing ports. The bluetooth is not what you would call speed efficient. If you use PDANet from junefabrics.com and use the USB cable, laptop speed should be as fast as webviewer if not faster.

I can live without a real IP address. No port blocking thus far.

I switched from using a Sprint PCS 650 to Cingular 650 and I can say that I don't notice a speed difference. In Salt Lkae City, the old AT&T network is spread rather thinly since we didn't have any Cingular network to begin with. That being said, speeds are good, and I've heard in other areas with heavier network deployment that the speed can burst quite a bit higher than 110kbit/sec that I'm seeing.
    Quote Originally Posted by superjimbo801
    I've been using the original MediaWorks that was available up until last week. ... No port blocking thus far.
    Well that is good news. Have you been able to make a VPN connection to a remote network, either using Mergic (PPTP) or Movian (IPSec)?
    Well that is good news. Have you been able to make a VPN connection to a remote network, either using Mergic (PPTP) or Movian (IPSec)?
    I made one attempt and it did not work.

I tried connecting to an old NT4 vpn server. I'll reinstall Mergic VPN and give it another go.

I would not be surprised if the VPN stuff did in fact not work.

IF this is the case, certainly they could differentiate the plans by stating no VPN or real IP address, and I could live with that on a cheaper plan vs. a more expensive plan with real IP and vpn ability. Seems like a fair trade up.
    IF this is the case, certainly they could differentiate the plans by stating no VPN or real IP address, and I could live with that on a cheaper plan vs. a more expensive plan with real IP and vpn ability. Seems like a fair trade up.
    Well..yes...seems fair. As long as they realize that with the $40 PDA plan, they are not competitive against Sprint PCS Vision ($15/mo) and T-mobile's data $20 plan. At this point, that is what is holding me back from giving Cingular a try.
    Well..yes...seems fair. As long as they realize that with the $40 PDA plan, they are not competitive against Sprint PCS Vision ($15/mo) and T-mobile's data $20 plan. At this point, that is what is holding me back from giving Cingular a try.
    Still playing with Mergic VPN. As for Sprint, I agree that they have great plans. I use to be with them a week ago.

Fortunately for Sprint, when they upgraded their CDMA network 2 years ago to RTT1X, not only did it double their voice capacity, but increases their data capacity by a factor of 10x.

Meanwhile, while EDGE is certainly an improvement in encoding for data, it is still no where nearly as spectrally effecient as Sprints Network. Sprint doesn't really loose much in voice capacity when serving up data, while EDGE still can take up to 4 voice channels to push it's maximum data rate.

Sprint can give it away cheaper. I think this is why Cingular is moving to UTMS (a CDMA based protocol) in major markets in 2006.

Anywho, I just think Cingular is a more solid company, and I want to be able to call and roam in Canada. I know people at Sprint call centers and I doubt I'll be a Sprint customer again anytime soon
    Ok here we go.

Mergic VPN refuses to work. Can't get response from server.

Just to be sure, I set up the same VPN connection in Windows XP, and it worked fine.

Furthermore, I then connected to the internet on my laptop through the Treo 650 bluetooth DUN, and the Windows XP VPN would not work.

This can only mean the port is blocked or disabled in some way.

Sorry for the bad news.
    So, can I remove my motorola 505 sim (with ATT) with mmode unlimited, and place it into my locked for att 650 or the unlocked gsm 650 and still utilize mmode and not incur any extra costs. ATT/Cingular trying to convince me that they can tell which phone it is in. Eventually I will most likely tell them that I have switched phones but I really don't want to do that right now...
    Ok here we go.

Just to be sure, I set up the same VPN connection in Windows XP, and it worked fine.

Furthermore, I then connected to the internet on my laptop through the Treo 650 bluetooth DUN, and the Windows XP VPN would not work.

Sorry for the bad news.
    Mergic VPN will NOT work with Media Works.
    The IP address you get on Media Works (and I assume the new Media plans including the $25 unlimited) is a NAT IP address. More acurately, when you're using the APN wap.cingular.
    Mergic VPN is PPTP type VPN.
    PPTP VPN will not work over NAT by it's very nature. It's just a limitation of PPTP.

The only way to get a real (non NAT) IP on Cingular is to use the APN isp.cingular which is only available if you have one of the expensive "data connect" data plans ($30-$80) I would assume that if you have the $40 unlimited PDA data plan you should also be able to use isp.cingular, but I don't know for sure. If you're paying for it, you should try to convince them that you should be able to use isp.cingular.

The only type of VPN that will be able to work on NAT (using Media Works) is "IPSec" type NAT (The type Cisco VPN uses, for example) because IPSec has the ability to run over NAT.
    Movian VPN is the only IPSec VPN that I've ever found and it's not even for sale to end users anymore (you have to 'get' it from another thread here on Treo Central.) Furthermore it only seems to work on the 650, not the 600.

On the 600, I've successfully used Cisco (IPSec) VPN from a latop over the Treo using PDANet to turn it in to a modem. This is on Media Works (wap.cingular)

Of course I'm no expert on the subject, this is all just what I've picked up over time of much research.
    As far as I can tell, Cingular doesn't block any ports, at least I haven't found any that are blocked.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    same thing here. i'd was told by the retail store that in order to use vpn i would need the $40 pda plan instead of the $20 media work. so i upped for the $40 plan. but like media work, pda plan is a nogo.

called tech support, they said i would need $80 data connect plan. oh boy...welcome to the new monopoly...

Ok here we go.

Sorry for the bad news.
    Quote Originally Posted by gumguy
    So, can I remove my motorola 505 sim (with ATT) with mmode unlimited, and place it into my locked for att 650 or the unlocked gsm 650 and still utilize mmode and not incur any extra costs. ATT/Cingular trying to convince me that they can tell which phone it is in. Eventually I will most likely tell them that I have switched phones but I really don't want to do that right now...

Yes, ATT can tell which phone you are using if you use the proxy setting to access the internet. You can try it out by going to ATT's website and log into your account. Go to manage my accounts, and you will see the last device they (ATT) detected. I tested it out by putting my sim into an old Samsung and goin g to the mMode site to check on my minutes used. Almost immediately the website updated my device detected. After that, I disabled the proxy setting in my Blazer preferences. Two days and a lot of web surfing later, the site still says Samsung. The only problem is that now I am unable to check my minutes and data usage through my 650.
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    When I signed up for service with AT&T their web site only gave you the option of a data plan and NO voice plan. The voice was implied as a per minute charge, you would have to add a separate voice plan after purchase.

The unlimited data plan was $49.95 (or something close to that). Rather than going through this I went to a store, purchased a Treo 600 with voice only (no data plan added) and then called their 800 number to add data to my plan. Adding it in after the fact gave me the unlimited service for $24.95.

Of course, AT&T decided they also wanted me to have a text messaging package and voice dialing and added it to my account without my permission.
    Then they gave me a lot of trouble getting it OFF my account. They claimed to have removed it but said I would have to call back after the billing cycle to get the charges removed. When I called back after the new billing cycle had begun I found they had not removed the voice dialing package and was again told I would have to call back AFTER the current billing cycle to get the charges removed.
    It took me three months to get the services straightened out and all inappropriate charges removed from my account. I have no doubt this is standard behavior as most people will not repeatedly call back and argue over small dollar charges and the company makes a hefty profit on non-requested services.
    The main reason I switched to sprint was there data plan, which I think is the best since the data speed is faster than dialup and it works pretty good. Last time I called customer service they switched me to the $10.00 plan.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12