Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am guessing you will all say BackupBuddy as it seems to work OK while BackupMan has problems when there is "low" memory. I have 2M free and it won't work.

What do you suggest as the best backup utility to use with the 650?
    BackupBuddy for Windows 2.x with BackupBuddyVFS 3.07 for your SD Card. They work like a CHAMP!!!!
    I bought BackupBuddyVFS and it works really nice, especialy the nightly scheduled backups.
    Chris

Evolution: PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Visor Prism > iPaq 3955 > iPaq 4155 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    BackupBuddy 3 is now out, and it is very nice, with the ability to save multiple versions. Free upgrade from V2.
    BackupMan is perfect, never have had a problem. If you only have 2megs left, I suggest you purchase PowerRun to move several internal programs to your SD card. It's seamless, an ***** (i.e. me), can move software within 60 seconds of loading it. I cleared 6 megs.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    BackupBuddy 3 is now out, and it is very nice, with the ability to save multiple versions. Free upgrade from V2.
    BackupBuddy for Windows is up to 2.1. BackupBuddyVFS is up to 3.07.

www.bluenomad.com
  7.    #7  
    I use Zlauncher to run many apps off card and still only have 2M left.
    I really liked using backupman on my 600 but I have no luck at all working on my 650 I have 4 meg open and I still get the no memory available when I try to back up. Backupbuddy works fine on the 650

Fred
    I have never tried BackupBuddy. But I use Backupman in automated mode to make a backup of my RAM every night at 3 AM. It is a bit flakey. Backupman's tech support blames it on the flakiness of the Treo 650 (true but...).

However, if you do a hard reset, turn off the phone and then do a restore, Backupman works perfectly. Restoring individual files (except the calendar and contact list) work perfectly. Calendar and contacts work ONLY after the hard reset and with the phone off.
    BackupMan has a new version/Beta which I got directly from the company (not on their website) in response to the memory problem with the T650 and their old version. I have been using it for several months and it works perfectly. My only complaint - no encryption. If the card gets lost (i.e. pops out) someone can restore everything with their own version of BackupMan and YOUR data.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
    My only complaint - no encryption. If the card gets lost (i.e. pops out) someone can restore everything with their own version of BackupMan and YOUR data.
    Wow, pretty big oversight. Backupbuddy for me.
    Can you post us a copy of the beta program?
    if you mean version 1.52b5, i have that one from bit&bolts already
    Bitsnbolts said the only beta they have is on the web site which is 1.52b5 and that still gives me the no memory on my treo 650. So as of now i will continue using backupbuddy.

Fred
    BackupBuddy rocks for me. I am having an issue with one file "SMSMessage2.db" that wont backup. If I am connected and delete the file, it appears again. I have to turn off the phone, delete the file with FileZ, and THEN the backup will proceed normally. I presume this is some temp working file that is open while a connection is established, and cant be backed up while its open. Anyone run into that?
  15.    #15  
    I am convinced Backupbuddy is the way to go. Perfect backups compared to the flaky BackupMan
    I am a bit confused about the varius BackupBuddy Versions. To my understanding Pro adds TimeSync and the ability to back up your the internal SD card.

"Mobile back-up to SD/MMC/Memory Stick for when you're traveling (Professional version only)"

And even the plain versions backs up the Treo and the mem card to the PC.:

"Comprehensive backup for PalmOS handhelds, and attached memory cards, to your Windows PC (the bundled Palm software does NOT do this), (memory card backup in Professional version only)".

So what exactly does the VFS version do ?

How does this in VFS:

"With BackupBuddyVFS installed on your organizer, you can effortlessly backup your organizerís critical files to the Sony Clie's Memory Stickģ or to Secure Digital or MultiMedia expansion cards for Palm organizers. In the event of a loss of data, you can then use BackupBuddyVFS to restore your organizerís data from an expansion card. As a result, you no longer need to wait until you have access to your Hotsync cradle or a modem to backup or restore your data."

Differ from this in Pro ?

"Mobile back-up to SD/MMC/Memory Stick for when you're traveling (Professional version only)".
    This is from bluenomad.com

"Note regarding BackupBuddyVFS Personal (previously called BackupBuddyVFS:Lite)

BackupBuddyVFS Personal is the limited version of BackupBuddyVFS Professional. BackupBuddyVFS Personal enables you to back up all of your organizerís files to and restore all of your backup data from your organizerís expansion card. With the Personal version, you are not able to select individual files for back up or restore, schedule automatic back ups or perform the other advanced features described below and in the updated BackupBuddyVFS manual. "
    Poor phrasing on my part....too many shortcuts:

Let me try again <g>. I'll type with fixes in bold

I am a bit confused about the varius BackupBuddy Versions. To my understanding BackUp Buddy Pro (No VFs in there anywhere) adds TimeSync and the ability to back up your the internal SD card.

"Mobile back-up to SD/MMC/Memory Stick for when you're traveling (Professional version only)"

And even the BackUpBuddy Personal (again no VFS) versions backs up the Treo and the mem card to the PC.:

"Comprehensive backup for PalmOS handhelds, and attached memory cards, to your Windows PC (the bundled Palm software does NOT do this), (memory card backup in Professional version only)".

So what exactly does the VFS version do ?

How does this in BackUpBuddy VFS:

"With BackupBuddyVFS installed on your organizer, you can effortlessly backup your organizerís critical files to the Sony Clie's Memory Stickģ or to Secure Digital or MultiMedia expansion cards for Palm organizers. In the event of a loss of data, you can then use BackupBuddyVFS to restore your organizerís data from an expansion card. As a result, you no longer need to wait until you have access to your Hotsync cradle or a modem to backup or restore your data."

Differ from this in BackUpBuddy Pro (no VFS) ?

"Mobile back-up to SD/MMC/Memory Stick for when you're traveling (Professional version only)".
    I purchased backupbuddy vfs personel. How do you restore individual files and where is the preference screen I see on plamgear where I purchased it. It is version 3.07 or is individual back up only for the PC based backupBuddyPro???
    Geez, this is confusing. Let me see if I can get this straight.

There are two products: BackupBuddy for Windows and BackupBuddy VFS, each of them comes in two flavors: Personal and Professional. (so, I guess there are four products )

BackupBuddy for Windows Personal is the cheapest of all. It backs up your data to your PC. It is a plain and simple backup and restore program. It is $29.95.

BackupBuddy for Windows Professional adds some features, and from what I gathered when I bought the upgrade, you get either or for $29.95. Makes no sense, but there you have it. Get the pro and don't worry about it. The pro has things like Zoomback, which lets you go to a specific point in time in the past to restore, you can do individual files, and it includes a copy of BBVFS Personal, which lets you do backups to your SD card.

So, essentially, you pay $29.95 and you get BackupBuddy for Windows Professional 2.x (there is no 3.x) and you also get a copy of BackupBuddyVFS PERSONAL.

Ok, everyone with me so far?

Now, you can buy BackupBuddyVFS Personal as a standalone product for $9.95. This gives you simple backup "all or nothing" and restore "all or nothing" to your SD card. Nothing gets backed up to your PC. This is the cheapest way to go. If you are a hungry student with nothing to wear, and you MUST backup your Treo, BackupBuddyVFS Personal is for you.

If you bought any version of BackupBuddy for Windows, this already comes with it, so you don't have to buy it again.

For $19.95 you can step up to BackupBuddyVFS Pro. This is the macdaddy of all SD card backup programs. You can backup/restore individual files, do checkpoints, encryption, the works.

For the ultimate in protection you can spend $50 and get both BackupBuddy for Windows Pro and BackupBuddyVFS Pro.

(I lost some of you, didn't I? That's OK. I got lost somewhere in there too )

While on the subject, I always hated the name "BackupBuddy". Sounds like a lost puppy. Doesnt sound robust of all. The irony is that this is probably the most robust backup program for the Palm OS. Funny how those things work.

Next question?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast