Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Confused me enought that i didnt relize that backupbuddy vfs personal wasnt the one I wanted and I already have it since I have backup Buddy for windows. I cant find anywhere to purchase backup buddy vfs pro?? they dont have it listed as palmgear or as a product on the bluenomad web site . I asked palmgear for a refund, see how that goes.
    Hi VaccPalm, there are separate links to download Personal vs. Pro on this page -- just scroll down the page a bit.

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater

Now, you can buy BackupBuddyVFS Personal as a standalone product for $9.95. This gives you simple backup "all or nothing" and restore "all or nothing" to your SD card.
    I guess what I was finding confusing is that feature list for BackUpBuddy Pro on the web site says BBpro does this already.

""Mobile back-up to SD/MMC/Memory Stick for when you're traveling (Professional version only)"

so if BBPro already does it, I kinda can't figure out what BB VFS Personal is gonan do for ya......unless they are talking about all SD's but the one IN the Treo <g>.
    Backup Pro i think does it on the windows program and the VFS does it on the SD card.
    So, which program is the most complete backup for the Treo 650, BackupBuddy for Windows or BackupBuddyVFS Professional? Whick would you choose?
    I've used backup buddy for Windows for years, and always found it a very useful and reliable product. I recently upgraded to BB 2. I will NEVER use it again, and don't recommend it at all! It does the worst thing a backup program can ever do: destroy the data it's supposed to be backing up.

Here's the story:

Yesterday morning, somehow, my preferences file got corrupted and I lost my hotsync id. I wasn't at a computer that had BB installed, and I didn't have my hotsync cable with me. But I was able to email a copy of the saved prefereces file from the backup directory on the PC to my Treo, and install it that way. This seemed to fix most of the problems I was having, except that my hotsync ID still showed up as blank.

Searching these forums, I found a utility that let me reset the hotsync id. I ran it, and everything was fine. In fact, my little Treo seemed to be running faster than it had in weeks.

Fast forward to last night. I'm home, I connect the Treo to my PC and press the hotsync button. The sync goes fine, and then BB takes over. When it completes, it tells me I have messages, so I check the log. BACKUP BUDDY DIDN'T BACK UP MY TREO, IT RESTORED FROM MY LAST BACKUP, made the night before.

That's right, without asking, prompting, or even informing me, Backup Buddy decided on it's own that something was wrong with my Treo and chose to restore instead of back up. I lost an entire day's email. I lost apps that I had installed, preference settings, and I don't know what else yet. My stable and reliable 650 is now resetting after hotsyncs, again.

I emailed BB support about this. Here's the meat of their response:

"BB detected a restore was needed.. it appears like a zoomback was done.
    BB replaces files on the handeld with the latest backup ones."

Blue Nomad's developers have their heads stuck deep in the dark if they think this behavoir is desirable and acceptable. A backup program should NEVER, EVER overwrite the data it's supposed to be backing up. If it thinks a restore is necessary, it shouldl prompt for permission, and explain why, before doing anything.

BBVFS seems to work well. I just hope it doesn't have the same screwy logic embedded in it that BB4W has. I'm going to go back to BB1.x, but I couldn't recommend BB 2.x to anyone.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm
    Confused me enought that i didnt relize that backupbuddy vfs personal wasnt the one I wanted and I already have it since I have backup Buddy for windows. I cant find anywhere to purchase backup buddy vfs pro?? they dont have it listed as palmgear or as a product on the bluenomad web site . I asked palmgear for a refund, see how that goes.
    Try here

http://store.yahoo.com/bluenomad/blunomsofpro.html
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I guess what I was finding confusing is that feature list for BackUpBuddy Pro on the web site says BBpro does this already.

""Mobile back-up to SD/MMC/Memory Stick for when you're traveling (Professional version only)"

so if BBPro already does it, I kinda can't figure out what BB VFS Personal is gonan do for ya......unless they are talking about all SD's but the one IN the Treo <g>.
    BackupBuddy Pro for Windows includes a copy of BackupBuddyVFS Personal, so that is the mobile backup when you are traveling. That (Professional Version Only) I dont know what that is about.

However, if you want checkpoint, backup/restore of individual files and encryption, then you will need BackupBuddyVFD Pro. That doesnt come with BB for Windows, you have to purchase it separately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Grindell
    So, which program is the most complete backup for the Treo 650, BackupBuddy for Windows or BackupBuddyVFS Professional? Whick would you choose?
    The most complete is - BOTH!

BB for Windows backs up to your PC, BB VFS backs up to your SD card. It depends on your usage patterns and how often you sync. I sometimes go days without syncing, but do a lot of work on my Palm, so VFS lets me back it up on my card. However, when I get back and actually hotsync, i also backup to my PC with BB for Windows. That way, if my Treo is stolen or lost, I have a backup on my PC, since the SD card will most likely be stolen along with the Treo....
    THANKS "Z"

You answered my question. I backup on my computers (desktop and laptop) everyday so I guess the best application would be BB for windows.
    What do y'all recommend for a Mac OS X user?

BackupBuddy Professional for Mac doesn't support OS X.

If I purchase BackupBuddy VFS Professional, is there an easy way to copy the resulting backup files from my SD card to my Mac?

Thanks!

tanster
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
    BackupMan has a new version/Beta which I got directly from the company (not on their website) in response to the memory problem with the T650 and their old version. I have been using it for several months and it works perfectly. My only complaint - no encryption. If the card gets lost (i.e. pops out) someone can restore everything with their own version of BackupMan and YOUR data.

BackupMan v1.52b5 has been released as a public beta
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    If I purchase BackupBuddy VFS Professional, is there an easy way to copy the resulting backup files from my SD card to my Mac?
    [/FONT]
    Yes, you can use a card reader to copy the Backup directory to your PC.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Just found this:
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fpillet/syncbuddy.html
    Amongst other things, Brainforest (!)

Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    What do y'all recommend for a Mac OS X user?

BackupBuddy Professional for Mac doesn't support OS X.

Thanks!

This one looks good too... and only $14
    http://www.botzam.com/
    Botzham Backup
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Thanks ZBoater, iomatic, and Hotoru!

Sync Buddy looks interesting, will have to research that a little more....I like that it has Bluetooth support!

tanster
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I am a new Treo user so forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but why does one need a Windows back up program if you are hot syncing? I am reading this thread because I do think I would like a way to back up to a memory card, but I thought the Treo was already being backed up on the PC???
    Check this link for details

http://www.bluenomad.com/bb/prod_bac...y_details.html

The most important feature for me is backing up everything (whether it has a hotsync conduit or not), checkpoints (so I can revert back to a previous point in time prior to the last hotsync) and backing up the contents of the SD card.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Geez, now I'm none too impressed with BBVFS, either.

Because of the issues BBFW caused me (see post 26, above), I thought I'd try doing a hard reset and restoring from a BBFVS backup on my card, created BEFORE BBFW screwed things up. Fortunately, I did another complete backup to my PC, first.

Okay, hard reset, here we go. Nice, clean Treo. Tap the Backup icon, choose reset, and there it goes. Hopefullly that will clean everything up. What's this, an error? Can't restore system midi sounds? Well, okay, I can restore that later, so skip the file. Here we go again. Another half a dozen files restored then...

WHAT???? The restore just stopped in the middle, no error message, and my 650 reset.

I removed the midi file from the restore set, just in case, and tried it again, several times. Still the same problem. Note the BBFW restored the midi file (and whatever file BBVF choked on) without any problems. It's a damn good thing I wasn't relying only on BBVFS as a backup.

Right now, I can't recommend any of the current Backup Buddy products as safe and reliable. Forewarned is forearmed.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I can just comment on my experience only - I have tried several hardsets and full restores using the latest version of Backupman. Other than not restoring Voicedial, everything else seemed to restore perfectly.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast