Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    On my 650 (and that of two others in the Brighthand forum), there is a listing under Info for "Grafitti 2 Library", 289K worth. Since the 650 doesn't support Grafitti of any kind, what's this for? It is apparently added by the PalmOne installer.
    Applications can make use of the Grafitti library to provide handwriting recognition within the app. It's most commonly used by add-ons like Grafitti Anywhere, which allows you to input text anywhere on the screen using Grafitti strokes.

To be accurate, the Treo does support Grafitti (through this library), but it doesn't include the default input app provided on other Palms, like the Tungsten models, because instead of a dedicated Grafitti input area, the Treo has a keyboard.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Interesting, thanks. My Tungsten W has a keyboard and Grafitti both.
    Right - it's possible to have any number of input devices, but on the Treo, they made the compromise of leaving out the Grafitti screen area for the sake of space. On the Tungsten T3, they made the compromise of not having a keyboard for the sake of increased screen real estate.
    ok, is it delete-able?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    ok, is it delete-able?
    It doesn't look like it. It shows up as being resident in the ROM of the device.
  7. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    It doesn't look like it. It shows up as being resident in the ROM of the device.
    So, in other words, for most people it is just an undeleteable waste of an already too small memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by hub
    So, in other words, for most people it is just an undeleteable waste of an already too small memory.
    If its in ROM its not taking up memory from your apps/data.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    If its in ROM its not taking up memory from your apps/data.
    hello? Mcfly!

If it wasn't in the ROM area, then they could have used to space to make available to the apps/data area....
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    If it wasn't in the ROM area, then they could have used to space to make available to the apps/data area....
    I don't think that's correct. There is the proper file system which is available to users, and there's the ROM which is always a protected area and typically on its own chip. There is no sharing across ROM and NVRAM. Unused ROM is unused ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    hello? Mcfly!

The 650 with its "new" memory system uses about 9-10MB of the 32MB for its internal stuff, leaving 22-23MB for your apps/data. They could have used the space of Graffiti2 for more apps, yes, but so could the Versamail, XpressMail, QuickTour, etc. etc. etc. Some people like some things, others dont. The size of the ROM is what it is, and unless you plan on flashing a custom ROM on there, then there really isn't anything we mere mortals can do, other than wait for the Treo 700 and pray it has 64MB of memory with 54 of it useable.
    Cingular Treo 650
    FYI, you can install Graffiti Anywhere and be able to use Graffiti for input. It's a free d/l. It works great especailly for old Palmers that like to use Graffiti.
    I tried Graffiti anywhere, but it insisted in using G2. As an "old Palmer", I went through the pain of learning G1 and refused to learn G2. On my T3 I was able to install the old G1 libraries, and life was good (perpetuating my inability to use G2). With the Treo, it wouldn't let me use the old G1 libraries. I discovered that TealScript, for some reason, recognizes G1 strokes, so THAT made me VERY happy.

Cingular Treo 650