1. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    OK, done.
    This sounds sexy! So can someone clarify:
    1) I buy Chatter
    2) Signup for FastMail IMAP account
    3) Enter GMail settings and whatnot
    4) Enjoy BB-esque "push" email? Yes or no?
    I may want to roll this out in a DoD enviroment (non-mission critical).
    The Navy is facing massive cuts and recently outlawed the use of CrackBerry's on ships and shore installations.
    Thanks!
    -IS Caruso, USN (IS/DIA)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    Ill hook you up.. check your email in a few minutes.

Thanks.
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
    Does anyone uses Gmail with versamail. And if so how does it works for you. Do you get a stable connection all the time when attempting to "get" email from Gmail through versamail.
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    Quick question about Fastmail: after receiving an email from Fastmail/Gmail, when you reply, does it appear from your @gmail.com address? (I'm assuming you have a paid Fastmail account and are using their SMTP server to send emails?). Thanks.
    Im actually using my GMAIL smtp server for sending out emails. The only reason why Im using fastmail as a "middleman" so-to-speak is for the IMAP push capabilties for my inbox, and this feature is free. This is not needed when sending out emails.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbauer-ctu24
    This sounds sexy! So can someone clarify:
    1) I buy Chatter
    2) Signup for FastMail IMAP account
    3) Enter GMail settings and whatnot
    4) Enjoy BB-esque "push" email? Yes or no?
    I may want to roll this out in a DoD enviroment (non-mission critical).
    The Navy is facing massive cuts and recently outlawed the use of CrackBerry's on ships and shore installations.
    Thanks!
    -IS Caruso, USN (IS/DIA)
    Theyve also prohibited the use of crackberrys on the Parliament floor in England. Too many of the politicians in the House of Commons were using it during debates. RIM has a real good thing going for them right now... too bad the "push" technology that they are founded on is currently in the midst of litigation for SIX patent infringements!! I knew something wasnt right when i found out BlackBerry's came from Canada .

Anyway, to respond to your question Jack, yes fastmail and GMAIL will provide you with the "push" email you desire (assuming you have chatter installed already). Ive been using it for a week now and am 100% satisifed with the results. Just make sure you enable the forwarding feature on your GMAIL account to send emails directly to the fastmail account and thats it. By the way, you dont need to pay for fastmail either to have mail sent out through chatter. Just input the proper SMTP settings for GMAIL into your chatter SMTP account.
    Quote Originally Posted by josterholt
    can someone invite me to join gmail. my email address is josterholt@osterholtconsulting.com....thanks so much!
    I just sent you one.
    Our company uses GoodLink. If you have an Exchange environment, this software gives you everything you need from Outlook: Email/Calendar/Contacts.

While it's been discussed before ... it is a memory hog, but if all you need is a cell phone with real push tech, it's beautiful. The only time I actually use a sync cable is to install apps (and then only because my bluetooth connection is slow).
    Quote Originally Posted by mishap
    Our company uses GoodLink. If you have an Exchange environment, this software gives you everything you need from Outlook: Email/Calendar/Contacts.

While it's been discussed before ... it is a memory hog, but if all you need is a cell phone with real push tech, it's beautiful. The only time I actually use a sync cable is to install apps (and then only because my bluetooth connection is slow).
    And version 4.0 (due in the next couple of weeks) will make it so you can push third-party apps over the air as well. 4.0 memory footprint is also slightly smaller than 3.8.
    While emails are forwarded from one's Gmail account to their fastmail account (and then subsequently pushed to their Treo), does Gmail keep a copy or "record" of the emails forwarded to fastmail? If so, can these emails somehow be marked as "read" on your Gmail account when you read them off of your Treo?

My concern is that email may not always be checked on the Treo and there will be many times (eg when attachments arrive to you Gmail account) when you need to access your Gmail account online. It would be great if a mechanism existed whereby the Treo's representation of your Gmail account is synched with your actual Gmail account. make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by globalnat
    I hope Chatter is able to implement "active sync" with real push. I use Versa Mail which only works in email-pull mode. But it syncs my calendar as well as my mail at the same time.

For the moment, remote calendar sync is more important than push email. But both would be really great and I would pay for it (one time) happily.
    What Calendar is Versamail Syncing with???
    I have no brand preference, but some of you might be interested in trying fusemail.com. Very powerful spam filtering, sucks in Hotmail, Yahoo, IMAP and POP3 mail for you, supports IMAP IDLE... works wonderfully with Chatter Email.

-James
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgood72
    I just found out about about Chatter Email. I am in no way associated with the company, but for a one time $32, their software and a suitable Exchange server gives your Treo rea PUSH email. I now instantly receive all my email as it comes to my mailbox.

I was fustrated with buggy Versamail crashing my Treo, and looked around, and Chattermail was what I found. Snapper mail didn't seem much different in operation to Versamail (although it may be less buggy).

Anyway, if you have a decent data plan, and an IMAP email account, go and check out Chatter Email. www.chatteremail.com

I have no idea why PalmOne have not bought this software up. The carriers could do a $10 option on your monthly cell plan, and give you full PUSH email.

-James.

Versamail is nice, except for the fact that is totally unsable because it resets the phone. Oddly I didn't have this problem with the Sprint 650.

As for battery. It does drain but it is acceptable if what you need is real time email. As someone else mentioned, 16 hours heavy ususage is pretty typical.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Cingular and Sprint are the only 2 US carriers that have it, but there are many others that use Seven's solution.
    http://www.seven.com/get_it/HowToGetSEVEN.html
    Verizon has one too.
    www.wirelessync.vzw.comVerizon Wireless Sync

I've subcribed to Seven but never used it. I'd like to read a comparison.
    Just in case anyone is interested...

I use Chattermail on my Sprint Treo 650. I singed up for an account at Fusemail.com. There I can aggregate all my email accounts: work, gmail, comcast, etc. into one email inbox. Fusemail will ping these other email servers more as you use it more. I have Thunderbird on my desktop constantly pinging the fusemail server and chatter on my Treo always on to get pushes from Fusemail. most of the time, Chattermail picks up the messages before Thunderbird. There are some costs associated with Fusemail, but it works very well and was easy to set up. I like easy.
    Could one of you guys hook me up with a Gmail invitation? I would really appreciate it.
    rriche@*nospam*cox.net
    Quote Originally Posted by PCStreo
    Could one of you guys hook me up with a Gmail invitation? I would really appreciate it.
    rriche@*nospam*cox.net
    Check your email...
    All set - check your email.
    aw dang it ... I just wasted my invite :P
  20.    #40  
    TheTruth, you can set chatter to have sleep time, is that what you require. I tell it to go to sleep between midnight and 7am, so I won't get any email notifications then. That might help your backup problem.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one using this. I still think PalmOne are silly for not snapping it up...

-James.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast