1.    #1  
    I am looking for a simple doc reader, and I am curious to hear some of your suggestions about which one I should go for.... I know that CSpotRun is free. Are some of the others (TealDoc, SmartDoc, etc.) worth the extra money for the functions they provide, or does CSpotRun suffice?

Thanks all!
    A good starting point is to look at DOC Readers for Palm OS PDAs Review on the gadgeteer. It gives a nice overview of most of the DOC readers out there. Alas, it is a bit dated and needs to be updated (3/10/99). Those that I know of that are missing: iSilo (thought it's predecessor ToGo is there) and the free Peanut Reader (which can now do DOCs). Also some of the points in the summary have changed.
    There's a top contender that isn't on the list, because it's only recently become a doc reader...pedit.

This fabulous set of programs (there's one that replaces notepad and one that edits LONG documents - you can use one or both) is in rapid revision because Paul Nevai (the "p" of "pedit") is so responsive to those who use his program.

I bought SmartDoc and love(d) it, but pedit has taken it's place. It's a great, great program. Check it out by clicking here: Paul Nevai's PaulComputing

no, I'm not affiliated with Paul Nevai in any way other than being an enthusiastic customer!

[This message has been edited by VoxDei (edited 06-13-2000).]
    Peanut Press' latest document reader will read DOC format files in addition to their proprietary format. It's also freeware. It will read compressed douments successfully from RAM storage. I just installed it today so I can't vouch for long-term stability but so far, so good.
    Personally, I like the www.peanutpress.com one also.
    I also favor Peanut Reader. Having the ability to read books and Doc's means I have one less program I have to load.
    One feature of PeanutReader I really like is that it has a tiny clock on the bottom of the screen so I don't totally lose track of time while I'm reading.

I looked at the gadgeteer's review of doc readers someone mentioned, and bought TealDoc because they rave about it. It is a good program, but I don't think I really needed it. PeanutReader works great, and C-SpotRun is good, too.
  8. xjx
    I like the way to add bookmarks in Peanut Reader, but the bookmarks appear only as number of pages. If I could name the bookmarks like in mobibook then they can be used as index for long Doc files.

[This message has been edited by xjx (edited 06-14-2000).]
    With the current version, at least, of PeanutReader, do a /A to "Add a bookmark". A default name of "Bookmark - pg xxx" comes up, but you can change its name before you hit OK. It's just that you can't change it once you've OKed it.
  10. xjx
    OIC. I didn't try this before. I used to tap on the up-right corner to add a bookmark. That's really convenient. I thought the menu command would do exact the same thing, which turns out to be incorrect.
    My favorite is Qvadis Express Reader, from www.qvadis.com

Express Reader GT is a reader for the Palm/Visor that does beaming, categories, bookmarks, fonts, word search, copying text to clipboards, and more.

Express Reader DX is a utility for the PC that enables you to read and edit DOC files, as well as convert all sorts of other types of files (including TXT, RTF) into DOC format.

Express Reader Pro is a suite of the two.
    I bought the Qvadis suite. The feature I really liked is the scroller. It was really neat to see my old Senior Thesis paper on my Visor.

I tried RichReader and Aportis DocReader, but I really liked way Qvadis worked.

------------------
    There is no best DOC reader. I've tried over a dozen (if you count DOC editors as well), and I've found three that have a permanent home on my Visor - each for differnet reasons:<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>PeanutReader - For all the reasons others have already mentioned. However, it doesn't handle large numbers of documents very well (no support for categories). BTW, if you like short stories, you can get a bunch of them every month in the genre magazines that PeanutPress sells - great bang for the buck (and I've benefited from stories that I might never have read/purchased if I was forced to buy a la carte).
    <LI>iSilo (shareware version NOT the free one) - For the free iSiloWeb, which gives you html to go - including hyperlinks!. It also has a good user interface (my second favorite), and it works well with docs in the 8MB Flash Memory Module. Also, a native iSilo file is more tightly compressed than a regular doc file.
    <LI>TealDoc - The interface is very clean - I'll even call it elegant, but some might find it sparse. The quality of the interface is not apparent at first; but, after using it for a couple of weeks, it became (and still is) my favorite. However, it does not like working with docs in the flash module.</UL>

I'll add that both iSilo and TealDoc provide enough formatting and navigation features, when using their extensions to the doc file format standard, that you can produce some trick docs. To be clear, these features only work with each vendors' proprietary extensions to the doc file standard.

[This message has been edited by yucca (edited 06-21-2000).]