1.    #1  
    I just started using a gps system and noticed the screen dims after 15 seconds or so. Never used to bother me, but now while it's a gps system it would kinda help to be able to see the screen! Anyone know how to stop the screen from dimming while using the gps? (fyi- I'm using tomtom).

I tried alwayson, but that's different than the screen dimming problem. Unit stays on but screen still dims. Anyone have any suggestions? Last night I was driving home and was tired of hitting a button on the treo every time I heard a voice prompt. I'm hoping there's an easy fix to keep the screen lit!
    TomTom stand alone, or TomTom software on a PDA?

If you run it in battery mode it will not listen to "always on." That option is only for external power. Also, unit 'always on' setting does not mean screen is always on. There should be a separate setting for the screen to stay on when external power is applied.
  3.    #3  
    I'm using tomtom software on pda. So you're saying that when I plug in the treo a new option under preferences will show up to keep the screen lit? Could you explain where the setting is to keep the screen lit when power is supplied???? Thanks!
    I have used a few hours worth of tomtom, and I have not had the screen dim out yet. I do always have it plugged into the cig lighter power source.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
  5.    #5  
    I used it this morning plugged into the cig lighter and screen still dimmed. I'm confused. Any suggestions?
    What kind of PDA is it? Palm or PPC OS?

In PPC OS devices you can go to start->settings->system->backlight-> uncheck "turn off after X seconds."

In many palm devices you have an icon at the bottom of the screen for the backlight that adjusts brightness. Simply clicking that icon, moving the brightness bar slightly back and forth will restore your backlight.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keswick
    I just started using a gps system and noticed the screen dims after 15 seconds or so. Never used to bother me, but now while it's a gps system it would kinda help to be able to see the screen! Anyone know how to stop the screen from dimming while using the gps? (fyi- I'm using tomtom).

I tried alwayson, but that's different than the screen dimming problem. Unit stays on but screen still dims. Anyone have any suggestions? Last night I was driving home and was tired of hitting a button on the treo every time I heard a voice prompt. I'm hoping there's an easy fix to keep the screen lit!
    Mapopolis GPS software has a preferences setting to keep the screen turned on for an hour. And it does exactly that. When you leave the software, the Treo 650's regular screen power off setting regains control. Works perfectly..

I write reviews for HandHeld Computing Magazine, and I've been using Mapopolis with most of So. Calif. in it, with the iGolf Tehcnologys MEW (Panasonic) SD GPS card shoved into the phone, and the two work together brilliantly. No hockey puck GPS receiver. No cable. No external antenna on the car. Nothing. A total one-piece solution. The main downside is the limited amount of memory a Treo 650 has.. a lousy 24 meg. Since the GPS unit IS an SD card, I can't put the whole USA on a card into it (Mapopolis also sells a new self-launching whole USA map 1 Gig card.. I can, however, use that in my Zodiac 2 with the same GPS SD Card, since the Zodiac has TWO SD slots) ..

The car I drive has an ashtray that pulls out of the bottom of the dash with a cupholder on either side of it. I just set the Treo 650 with the SD GPS card in it in one of the cupholders.. it can "see" out the windshield in that position, and acquires satellite lock in about a minute. It works just laying it on the passenger seat too. This MEW SD GPS card seems to be pretty robust. Also it has its own internal battery, and is very small.. the head of the card is maybe twice the size of a sugar cube.. I have the preferenes in Mapopolis to keep the screen on for an hour. I am just stunned how well this combination works.

Sure, I'm looking at a 2" x 2" screen from a couple feet away, but I have voice prompting, very fast re-routing if I decide to take a route other than the one it had generated, (it beeps when it re-routes).. I don't expect the equivalent of a $2000 to $3000 factory installed in-dash unit at this price point, but I'm quite pleased at the whole merging of the MEW GPS SD Card and the Mapopolis software..

Sure it makes mistakes now and then. Where I live there are a bajillion stop signs, very high density suburbia, and a lot of very curvy streets.. but I've found it to be pretty accurate, although sometimes it's funny how it'll generate a route from a local store back to my home that I would never think of taking..

I've never used TomTom or any other Palm GPS receivers, so I have nothing to compare this to.. but it works for me

Look for my review in a future issue of the magazine..

Harv
    PalmOS Platform Editor,
    HandHeld Computing Magazine..
  8.    #8  
    I have the palm treo 650, good news about mapopolis but doesn't apply to me because I have TomTom. I try adjusting the brightness, but if any treo users have any other tips please let me know!!!!