Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I just received my Treo 650 GSM and want to upgrade from the 600 I have been using all year. There is nothing on the 600 that I need, as all my information is in MS Outlook.

Should I do a clean install instead of using the Palm migration software on the CD? If so, do I uninstall the PocketMirror and Palm Desktop software and then begin with the new 650 CD? Or is there something else I must do, like rename the old Palm folder on the PC.

Thanks - if anyone has a suggestion and simple set of instructions, I would appreciate it.
    DavidA, click the link in my signature. That will take you to PalmOne's official instructions on how to transition from the 600 to the 650.

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    • To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    • To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    DavidA, click the link in my signature. That will take you to PalmOne's official instructions on how to transition from the 600 to the 650.

Great way to help new T650 owners by including PalmOne link in your sig. Many, including myself, ran into software conflicts when not fully removing previous installs. In my case the confilcts were so bad and difficult to diagnose that I reformated my laptop hard drive and started fresh after spending hours with PalmOne and Sprint tech support with no result.
    There is no upgrade.

Sync one final time to update Outlook.

Then uninstall Palm Desktop, Chupura, Hotsync, etc.

Then go and manually delete the Handspring and PalmOne folders that are still there (because Palm/Handspring can't write the most basic functions into their software). This is critical. There can be no vestiges of any prior installs.

once you are clean, then install from the 650 CD
  5.    #5  
    This is really my question - should I follow the instructions on the Palm website (as you have directed me to by your signature) or should I manually uninstall the desktop, Chapura, Hotsynch,and delete my folders? Or does it matter?

Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA
    This is really my question - should I follow the instructions on the Palm website (as you have directed me to by your signature) or should I manually uninstall the desktop, Chapura, Hotsynch,and delete my folders? Or does it matter?

Thanks...
    Hi DavidA, I personally did not uninstall my previous version of the Palm Desktop, Chapura, etc. before installing the new PD off the CD that came with the 650, and my transition was problem-free. But I think everybody's situation can be different....

My best suggestion to you is to at the least read the PalmOne kb -- they have updated it since I followed it back in November. I notice that there is a new (and pretty detailed) section on "Items that will not be migrated to your new Treo 650 smartphone". All good information, whether you follow their upgrade procedure or not.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

tanster
  7.    #7  
    Thanks - I will try this tomorrow morning and see how it goes. I suppose it neer hurts to start by strictly following PalmOne's advice. I appreciate hearing that your transition went well.
    If you do not manually remove all the items I mention above, the 650 PalmOne software will use your old profile and try to restore your 600 apps to your 650. This can send you into reset loops.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Hi,
    I just received my Treo 650 GSM and want to upgrade from the 600 I have been using all year. There is nothing on the 600 that I need, as all my information is in MS Outlook.

Should I do a clean install instead of using the Palm migration software on the CD? If so, do I uninstall the PocketMirror and Palm Desktop software and then begin with the new 650 CD? Or is there something else I must do, like rename the old Palm folder on the PC.

Thanks - if anyone has a suggestion and simple set of instructions, I would appreciate it.
    David,

I simply did a hotsync with the new Treo650 and EVERYTHING was perfect! It even brought over my entire YEAR old call log and Snapper Mail, which was really yher only non-stock software that I use.

Everything went great and the transition was done in very short order. After I know that everything was good, I did a hard reset to the 600 and transferred ownership to another employee, who loves it.

Bob
    make sure that if you want to use Pocketmirror that you buy the new PocketMirror XT...its different and takes advantage of the enhanced PIM apps
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey

Thanks...
    I'm with Tanster. Followed the web site instructions and migrated without a hitch. I'm being very careful with the 3rd party apps and bringing them over one at a time to be certain there are no serious conflicts.
    lol - I love Palm's advice..... it's basically:

MANUEL TO MIGRATING - HOW TO GET YOUR TREO 600 STUFF TO YOUR TREO 650

Step #1 - you can't!

Step #2 - here's how!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Y'know, Windows XP has a setting in the preferences of any particular app that let you run it in simulation or emulation or whatever mode for Win 2000 or 98, or NT, or abacus, and so on... From what Jeff Gibson has posted elsewhere, this can't happen with the TREO 650 cuz of the NVFS memory. Too bad; woulda saved a lot of trouble. But at least all those non-working apps won't get lost if you ever run your battery into the ground....
  14.    #14  
    Hi everyone,

I did the upgrade this morning as per the PalmOne kb and all went perfectly. Thanks for the advice... all I did was later install SnapperMail and things are working fine.

The only problem I have had to date was when I tried to use VersaMail - gave up and used SM without a hitch.

Thanks again.
    That's great news, DavidA! Glad it worked for you....

tanster
    Can we make this thread a sticky?

On the same subject, what would happen if one used MDM's Secure File PDA back-up card from their T600--i.e do a final backup to the card--and then using the same card--use the restore option to the T650.

MDM released an updater for its File back-up card for use on the T650. See thread here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=74595

For ease of use and simplicity, the above solution seems to be the way to go, though I can see how some older Palm OS programs (which would cause conflicts) should be deleted first to avoid reset looops, etc.

Excuse my ignorance department if this has been discussed before: Now, if Shadomite and/or others could develop an even cleaner system (a la MDM) for his custom Rom updates--i.e. removing Versamail and Real Player from the T650 rom--that would save a lot of people a lot of headaches!

MOST IMPORTANT: Is there a TC thread/sticky that discusses the latest patches palmOne put out for the T650?

Part II to this idea would be to guage when these patches are actually put on the latest T650 units (latest production runs) that eventually get shipped to 3rd party retailers--and even P1's (eCommerce?) Website itself. This would be espeically helpful to those who are put off by having to do the updates themselves and wait until P1 "gets it right the first time." Hah!

###
    Just got an e-mail from the MDM people. Turns out you CAN'T do a back-up of your Secure File PDA Card from your T600 and then do a restore of that same card to your T650. Following is the actual response:

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:22:50 -0800
    Subj: RE: A support request has submited to you

Hi Kevin,

You are correct. You cannot do a back-up on a Treo 600 and restore the
    data on a Treo 650.

We would love to come up with a solution, but PalmOne does not make it
    easy on the developers. They constantly make significant enough
    changes to each product, which makes it hard to make a single product that
    accommodates all devices.

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Best regards,

MDM Customer Support
    Mobile Digital Media (MDM)
    http://www.goMDM.com

###
    MS lets you do upgrades on their OS's but I have always found clean installs to be more trouble free and stable. I uninstalled the desktop software, left the old "Palm" directory, installed the new desktop to "PalmOne" directory and went from there.
    JackNaylorPE,

Can you be a bit more detailed in your description? For example, when you unistalled Palmdesktop did that screw up your data? Is it easier to resinstall versus uninstall?

Getting back to my MDM scenario. Wondering if it's posssible to do the MDM back-up card from one T600 and restore that data to a new T600? In theory, this should work without any problems, but I could be wrong.

###
    Just thought of another idea: for important apps that require Internet connections--like SnapperMail and Pocket Express--save ONLY those file/programs to the MDM back-up card on a Treo 600 then restore only those programs to a Treo 650. It's like a cut and paste, but better! Has anybody done this? In theory, it should work.
    ###
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast