1.    #1  
    Let me preface this by saying my last Palm was the Palm III.

So, I just got the unlocked GSM Treo 650 and want to store apps on my SD card. I did a lot of reading through all of the relevant threads on this forum but one thing I'm still unsure of is: Does the launcher replace the default Palm Applications program (i.e., the main page that displays all of my apps' icons)? I actually like the basic Palm UI and don't want to replace it with some complicated one that I have no need for (e.g., Zlauncher sounds great but I don't care for the UI/themes).

One other question: will this launcher app allow me to view and delete files off of my SD card? I was using my SD card with my iPaq and forgot to delete all of the files/apps on it prior to transferring it to my Treo. Currently, the Palm OS doesn't allow me to view and delete the data on my SD card (at least, I haven't found a way to).

The launchers I'm considering are: Zlauncher, PowerRun, LauncherX, and/or Filez. Thanks!
    Last edited by koolio; 02/13/2005 at 10:37 AM.
    What you're looking for is definitely Powerrun. It uses the basic Palm UI, and it's only purpose is to run apps off the card.

For deleting stuff, get Filez (free).
    It sounds to me like the way to go for you is PowerRun -- it'll allow you to store apps on your SD card and launch them from the native Applications launcher that came with the Treo. LauncherX and ZLauncher are separate launcher apps (they each have their own bells and whistles), which it sounds like you don't want. Filez is more of a file management utility, not a launcher, but I would recommend getting it anyway as it's free and will help you manage the files on your SD card.

One other solution you might consider is Initiate from Hobbyist Software (www.hobbyistsoftware.com). It's a bit different from the other launchers in that you type in the name of the item you want to run. It also integrates well with the SD card. I haven't tried it myself, but some people really like that approach.

Good luck!
  4.    #4  
    Guys, thanks a lot for your help and clarification.

Joebar, you mentioned using FileZ for deleting stuff - so, I would use FileZ to delete files (.jpg, .doc, etc.) but then use an uninstall app (like Uninstall Manager) for removing/uninstalling apps, right?
    right.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    right.
    Great, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    Joebar, you mentioned using FileZ for deleting stuff - so, I would use FileZ to delete files (.jpg, .doc, etc.) but then use an uninstall app (like Uninstall Manager) for removing/uninstalling apps, right?
    Yeah, you can do that... I just uninstall from the main Palm launcher window (app/delete), then go thru and clean up any leftover associated program files with Filez (the ones I can figure out at least). Usually end up getting all of them (if not, most). Take a look at the "creator" attribute for the files and you can fig out what they belong to.

Uninstall Manager is supposed to be able to remove the program and all associated files w/o leaving any leftovers (but I'm not sure if it does a 100% job all the time).