1.    #1  
    I want to install Palm Desktop on my new Sony Vaio that has built in Bluetooth. Can I install Palm Desktop on it without losing all my data and using the same Hot Sync ID? Is there anything special I need to do? Any problems forseen using this setup? Thanks!
    It can be done. But try and keep one computer as just a host. Meaning, don't try and edit info on both PC's, or else things may get a bit confusing.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I hotsynd my 650 ( and my 600 befor that, and my Sony 665 before that) on 3 computers. No problems at all, and I update on all three as well.

The only 'problem' is that each time you switch computers it does a complete hotsync, rather than an incremental one, which can take a while.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  4.    #4  
    Ok, so it will not erase all data when I performed the very first sync after the install disc finishes and prompts for it?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    No - but it will reinstall some default apps from the CD.

I hotsynd my 650 ( and my 600 befor that, and my Sony 665 before that) on 3 computers. No problems at all, and I update on all three as well.

The only 'problem' is that each time you switch computers it does a complete hotsync, rather than an incremental one, which can take a while.
    Meyerweb,

I'm afraid I can't report the same experience. I hotsynch between only two, and I'm constantly getting the occasional mystery duplicate. I assume you also update on the Treo -- so you're really updating on 4 machines. Is there something you're doing to try to maintain some consistency??

Thanks,

Angel
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelFCh
    constantly getting the occasional
    Is that an oxymoron?

I hotsynch between only two, and I'm constantly getting the occasional mystery duplicate.
    Those "mystery duplicates" typically occur when the same record is modified on the Treo and the PC between syncs. Many of the conduits allow you to specify how to handle "Conflict Resolution". I have most of mine set to "Handheld Wins".
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelFCh
    Meyerweb,

I'm afraid I can't report the same experience. I hotsynch between only two, and I'm constantly getting the occasional mystery duplicate. I assume you also update on the Treo -- so you're really updating on 4 machines. Is there something you're doing to try to maintain some consistency??

Thanks,

Angel
    I use PocketMirror on each system to sync the calendar and contact list with Outlook. This also allows you to backup your data to the palm desktop. In addition, you can set up pocketmirror to sync to different palm os devices with different hot sync names from the same outlook database. If you also use pocketpc devices, they can also be synced to the same database...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Is that an oxymoron?
    Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. Too lazy to change it. Now you're forcing me to keep it for posterity. I meant I get them with frequency (every other sync or so, but it only seems to happen with one or two records. What gets me is that I don't usually remember changing those that same day.

Those "mystery duplicates" typically occur when the same record is modified on the Treo and the PC between syncs. Many of the conduits allow you to specify how to handle "Conflict Resolution". I have most of mine set to "Handheld Wins".
    My challenge there is that I like to use all of my machines to update, so letting any one of them win means I lose something.
    Angel

SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartphone Fan
    I use PocketMirror on each system to sync the calendar and contact list with Outlook. This also allows you to backup your data to the palm desktop. In addition, you can set up pocketmirror to sync to different palm os devices with different hot sync names from the same outlook database. If you also use pocketpc devices, they can also be synced to the same database...
    I don't know how you do it. I can barely keep track of the one gadget I have!! Thanks for the info.
    Angel

SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The Outlook conduit that comes with the 650 does not know how to handle synchronizing with multiple PCs. I had to spring for PocketMirror XT for that.

Backups are not an issue, I found - at least, it will backup on the given PC whatever that PC doesn't already have.
    I'll second what Mark Eagle says. The only time I see duplicates is when I update on both the Treo and the desktop by mistake. The hotsync log will show when this has occurred. Otherwise, I have no problems at all. I've made changes on my home PC, forgotten to hotsync, then later made changes to a work PC, hotsynced, come home and hotsynced, and everything seems fine.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    The Outlook conduit that comes with the 650 does not know how to handle synchronizing with multiple PCs.
    I'm not sure about the one originally packaged with the 650, but the Outlook Conduits update does have an advanced option called Enable synchronization with multiple PC's. When you select the conduit (from the Custom... menu in HotSync Manager), you'll see a Settings button that reveals those options.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Urgh - oh well....
    I sync it with my home pc and work pc. no problem
    ohhhhhhhh.... that will make a difference i did the update...but didn't see that option better check that out

I'm not sure about the one originally packaged with the 650, but the Outlook Conduits update does have an advanced option called Enable synchronization with multiple PC's. When you select the conduit (from the Custom... menu in HotSync Manager), you'll see a Settings button that reveals those options.