Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First, I'll introduce myself, since this is my first post....

I have been a Palm user since my first Palm Pilot Personal; I've had that, a palm III, IIIc, V, Vx, T3, Clie n760, t665, various ipaqs (never kept one for long), the second generation Kyocera Palm Phone, CLIO HPC, and I think that covers it.

I sold my T3 in anticipation of getting a Treo, way back in Sept. (went back to the 665 for a while). I just picked up the GSM 650 yesterday, another AT$T migrator....So what do I think?

The size is almost perfect, I think it could be just a hair thinner, but I'm not complaining yet. I'll have to live with it for a few days to see what I really think. I do know I will need a holster of some sort, cause it is just to big for my pocket.

The screen is great, but having had the T3 and 2 Clies, it is nothing special, it is just what I would have expected...

I am going to install the hack to turn out the keyboard backlight, way to bright for normal everyday use. Haven't read the manual yet either, so I'm to sure how to control all the options yet, but so far it is cool.

I got in on the unlimited MediaWroks before it went away, but I haven't seen data speeds faster than 50k yet, mostly around 30-40k. I'm a little disappointed in that. Am I missing something? Or does EDGE just suck here. This could be a real reason to look at Sprint.

The contacts...I hate it! Are there any hacks at all to make this more usable? My criteria is that my Treo is first and foremost a Phone, so it should at least be as easy to use and visually appealing as any free phone on the market. The way the names and Phone numbers show up on seperate lines is a big problem. And the beautiful, black text on the white background, come on Palm, You can start using the color screen now, you've had them in the lineup for about 5 years now...

Haven't done a tone of web stuff (see above quotes on speed). But, the blazer browser looks pretty good for this size device. Does Treocentral use the wap browser add on for vBulletin? Can't remember the name, if so, I like it and will be adding it to my forums if I keep this unit. edit I just found a great skin for pda at vBulletin.com, i'll install and try later.

Green light keeps blinking, why?

tried to send pics attached to a text message, not sure the real term, but it didn't work, I'll have to figure that out.

I have experienced the occasional 10 sec lockup, but not the crazy voicemail thing yet. If I had confidence in palm to fix this it wouldn't be an issue, but I have my doubts as of late, so it could be a killer.

I do like it, just not totally sold yet. This is just my opinion, and if you have any answers to some of my problems, let me know. I would love to fall in love with this device, just need to know if my issues are no big deal or something I should give a lot of thought to.
  2.    #2  
    Wow, that was a long post.

Oh yea, I love the keyboard, don't miss graffiti at all, and I was very good at G1, and hated G2.
    Green light- Yeah the LED is totally stupid. Get LEDoFF or (Yikes) Butler to eliminate it.

I have mine set for only when charging or charged. I don't need it flashing like crazy all the time.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, and that is one crazy avie!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    Green light- Yeah the LED is totally stupid. Get LEDoFF or (Yikes) Butler to eliminate it.

I have mine set for only when charging or charged. I don't need it flashing like crazy all the time.
    That's a good idea as I'm sure the blinking LED drains the battery enough for one to notice. I remember my Motorola v60 had this blinking LED and I noticed a slight increase in battery power after shutting it off.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869

Speaking of software, what apps do I have to have, where is the best place for treo apps?
    search
    1 | 2
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112

The contacts...I hate it! Are there any hacks at all to make this more usable? My criteria is that my Treo is first and foremost a Phone, so it should at least be as easy to use and visually appealing as any free phone on the market. The way the names and Phone numbers show up on seperate lines is a big problem. And the beautiful, black text on the white background, come on Palm, You can start using the color screen now, you've had them in the lineup for about 5 years now...

Actually the name and number being displayed on separate lines serves a purpose. When you scroll, you can either select the name which will open the contact, or the number which will immediately dial. Just saves you a step if you are just looking to dial the person instead of read any other contact info like address, title, etc. In regards to the lack of color: dowload Colorize. It is a program that will allow you to change any of system colors. Spices things up a bit. Now, in regards to the green blinking light: I hate it. Maybe there is a hack somewhere that kills it, but I can't stand it especially if I'm using the phone as an alarm clock and have to cover it or turn it over so the light doesn't drive me crazy.
    I find that believing the universe spontaneously generated, developed self-governing laws, and produced intelligent life all by random, purposeless, material events requires greater faith than I am able to muster.
    Is there anyway to page down in contacts?
    Yeah, a not very usable way: hold down the alternate button while pressing the 5-way down/up.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersleepy
    Is there anyway to page down in contacts?
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    not the one marked Alt, but the dark button to the left.
    I find that believing the universe spontaneously generated, developed self-governing laws, and produced intelligent life all by random, purposeless, material events requires greater faith than I am able to muster.
    Yeah, thanks for the correction.
    Quote Originally Posted by iJITSU
    not the one marked Alt, but the dark button to the left.
    Don't take this wrong, but you really should RTFM. There are a lot of tricks and tips that will let you use your Treo more effeciently. One example: I almost never scroll though contacts. Its much more efficient to start typing characters in the name you are looking for. Typing MJO, for example, will quicly narrow the list to names with a first initial of M and a last name starting with Jo. Three, or at most four, keys will usually narrow the list to just a couple of entries. This is much faster than scrolling page by page-especially for names far down in the alphabet.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Its much more efficient to start typing characters in the name you are looking for. Typing MJO, for example, will quicly narrow the list to names with a first initial of M and a last name starting with Jo. Three, or at most four, keys will usually narrow the list to just a couple of entries. This is much faster than scrolling page by page-especially for names far down in the alphabet.
    Yea but you still have to then arrow down to the number then press send, 2 or three more button presses. Not really efficient in my book. The name should launch the primary number, which I also don't really need to see in the phone app. Remember this is a phone, and I think it should be as efficient or more so than any lesser phone on the market. What I'm really saying is that I hate the new Palm Contacts, and wish I could choose something else for the phone app to use. Just too much wasted space on the screen. It would take the same amount of button clicks to have just a list of names, and if you wanted to see other numbers, you could, say right arrow on the name and bring up the contact, with the numbers at the top of course.

That said...I installed some of the hacks and got rid of all the lights that were bothering me. One step closer to nirvana!
    Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't find the 'primary number' to be particularly meaningful any more. Depending on the time of day, I could be calling a business number, cell number, home number or even a pager. One of my gripes about my past cell phones is that it was too much of a pain to choose someone's alternate #, instead of the primary.

There are a number of other phone apps available. Many people swear by TakePhone, although I didn't care for it.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  16.    #16  
    You say tomato, I say....

I don't have too many multiple phone number contacts, but...I didn't know there were other phone apps, now I have to start looking around again...

Thanks for the input. Last night I browsed and downloaded the apps I wanted, love how you can install them right then and there...excellent.
    I have to say folks I am really disappointed in the performance of the TREO 650. I had a Treo 600 for over a year and loved it. I recently switched to Sprint and got the Treo 650. Terrible. I mean bad! The buttons are not as responsive. There are features missing like:

1) No Hangup for individual calls (after accepting call using call waiting)
    2) No ability to conference callers
    3) Battery is terrible - not as much use as the 600
    4) Buttons not as responsive
    5) Phone locks up frequently and is generally slower (IMHO) than the 600.
    6) New accessories needed just for 650
    7) Lack of Docking station being available as time product was put to market.

In the TREO 600, if I was on a call and a person called me, I could answer it and then when I got done with them, hang JUST THAT CALL up. Can't do that on the 650, the only option is hangup all calls or SWAP back to the old call, so you have to SWAP back to the original conversation and just hope the other person hangs up or else you are getting charged minutes for both calls at the same time. Secondly, I have (and am paying for) the ability to conference callers. In the TREO 600, there was an onscreen button for conferencing callers, not on the 650. There are no options to do that. Thirdly, the battery life is much much worse than the 600. I never ran low on battery power on the 600. But with the 650 I was forced to buy a car charger for the phone just to maintain the same exact usage as the TREO 600. Not good. Fourthly, the buttons are very slow to respond. There are times I have to push the power button 3-4 times just to get it to come on. Fifth, the phone locks up frequently and with no provocation. Just on its own will just lock up then reboot. The only apps on this phone are the default apps and GoodlLink. Sixth, its painful having to go buy all these new accessories for this phone. Second and third iterations of products (if thought out properly in the developmental stage) would not cause customers to go buy completely new accessories for a phone that is only a half-step better than its predecessor. Outside of the dedicated Send/End buttons, the slightly raised keyboard and bluetooth, I can't say I see any real improvements in this phone. Seventh, and lastly, the fact that PalmOne did not have the Docking station ready out the door speaks volumes about how prepared they were for this launch. When the Pocket PC-based phones come with everything conceivable - How palm could have thought this would garner more customers is beyond me.

I said all that to say - I am finally switching to Pocket PC - I am returning the TREO 650 and going with the Sprint 6601. I just can't deal with the lackluster programming, the press to get an incomplete product out on the market and the lack of customer focus on the marketing and delivery of this device. Why should shadowmite (http://shadowmite.com/roms.html) have to create custom ROM's to correct problems that Palm should have caught before the product went out the door. Makes no sense to me. I was a dedicated TREO evangelist until the 650. I rely upon the consistent and proper operations of my device way too much to take any additional chances/risks on this device. I may circle back one day, but for today, the 6601 is my choice.
    Andrej770
    Palm III -> Palm M505 -> Clie PEG-NX70V -> Treo 600 - > Treo 650 - Treo 700p
    The green light blinking indicates the phone side of the Treo 650 is on. If you turn off the phone the light will not blink even if you are using the PDA. It is a useful indicator to see if the phone is on. I'm not sure how much difference it makes to the charge of the battery.

Also, when you first turn on the phone, the light flashes orange until a network connection is established.
    Last edited by emuyshondt; 02/13/2005 at 02:17 PM.
  19.    #19  
    I am not happy with the battery yet, but I just installed the apps that turn off all the lights when on a phone and the keyboard is off now too, unless I want it on. Also, I'll give the battery a few charges to break in, then I'll see. I'm giving this thing a couple weeks, then I'll decide. In the meantime, I am going to try to find some way of correcting all my issues, with apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrej770
    I have to say folks I am really disappointed in the performance of the TREO 650. I had a Treo 600 for over a year and loved it. I recently switched to Sprint and got the Treo 650. Terrible. I mean bad! The buttons are not as responsive. There are features missing like:

1) No Hangup for individual calls (after accepting call using call waiting)
    2) No ability to conference callers
    3) Battery is terrible - not as much use as the 600
    4) Buttons not as responsive
    5) Phone locks up frequently and is generally slower (IMHO) than the 600.
    6) New accessories needed just for 650
    7) Lack of Docking station being available as time product was put to market.

In the TREO 600, if I was on a call and a person called me, I could answer it and then when I got done with them, hang JUST THAT CALL up. Can't do that on the 650, the only option is hangup all calls or SWAP back to the old call, so you have to SWAP back to the original conversation and just hope the other person hangs up or else you are getting charged minutes for both calls at the same time. Secondly, I have (and am paying for) the ability to conference callers. In the TREO 600, there was an onscreen button for conferencing callers, not on the 650. There are no options to do that. Thirdly, the battery life is much much worse than the 600. I never ran low on battery power on the 600. But with the 650 I was forced to buy a car charger for the phone just to maintain the same exact usage as the TREO 600. Not good. Fourthly, the buttons are very slow to respond. There are times I have to push the power button 3-4 times just to get it to come on. Fifth, the phone locks up frequently and with no provocation. Just on its own will just lock up then reboot. The only apps on this phone are the default apps and GoodlLink. Sixth, its painful having to go buy all these new accessories for this phone. Second and third iterations of products (if thought out properly in the developmental stage) would not cause customers to go buy completely new accessories for a phone that is only a half-step better than its predecessor. Outside of the dedicated Send/End buttons, the slightly raised keyboard and bluetooth, I can't say I see any real improvements in this phone. Seventh, and lastly, the fact that PalmOne did not have the Docking station ready out the door speaks volumes about how prepared they were for this launch. When the Pocket PC-based phones come with everything conceivable - How palm could have thought this would garner more customers is beyond me.

I said all that to say - I am finally switching to Pocket PC - I am returning the TREO 650 and going with the Sprint 6601. I just can't deal with the lackluster programming, the press to get an incomplete product out on the market and the lack of customer focus on the marketing and delivery of this device. Why should shadowmite (http://shadowmite.com/roms.html) have to create custom ROM's to correct problems that Palm should have caught before the product went out the door. Makes no sense to me. I was a dedicated TREO evangelist until the 650. I rely upon the consistent and proper operations of my device way too much to take any additional chances/risks on this device. I may circle back one day, but for today, the 6601 is my choice.

I am gonna call bull sh*t on this post. The stuff in bold is obvious. The treo 600 did not have the option to hang up calls in call waiting individually. Both the cdma and gsm version had this issue and it is handled the exact same way on the 650.

There are numerous threads confirming this.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast