1.    #1  
    Now that all carriers ar charging 15c per text sent overseas (something we used to enjoy for free), I a wondering whether anyone has found a way around this. If there is some setting on the phone or something that will allow us to do this for free. My overseas texts are easily costing me over $20 a month right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by lplplpx3
    Now that all carriers ar charging 15c per text sent overseas (something we used to enjoy for free), I a wondering whether anyone has found a way around this. If there is some setting on the phone or something that will allow us to do this for free. My overseas texts are easily costing me over $20 a month right now.
    I am in the same boat as you. Was told about a year ago by Tmo that my international txts were not going to incur any extra surcharges. Well about a month ago, I suddenly get a surcharge of around $16, so I call Tmobile, and they tell me that international txts were never free and that I had been getting away with it for a year.

Curiously, when I checked my bill this month, none of my international text messages are being charged the $.15/each. I am completely baffled - either decide that you're going to charge me or leave me alone...i don't want any surprises.

After about an hour on the phone with CS, I found that in the months that I hadn't been charged, my international txt msgs were ringing up as US phone numbers - basically just the entire sequence of numbers for an international text except with like the last few digits lopped off. For some reason, during the month that I was charged, the entire number was ringing up and hence the $.15/each.

I am currently on the buddy time plan if that makes any difference - its a package they offered about a year and a half ago that includes unlimited text messages and m2m for $10/month. Also, all of my international texts have been to China, just fyi.

I'd be interested if anyone has any insight on this issue as well. Any way to get around it, or anyone know of any plans that include international txts?
  3.    #3  
    Yes I have the additional 500 texts for 2.99. Now how it works is anyone who texts you from overseas just comes out of your allocated bucket but when you send an overseas text thats when the 15c charge is incurred.

On talking to TMobile and being ready to switch to another provider I found out that this was a mandate to all carriers by the FCC or somebody.

Any solutions or workarounds much appreciated.
    mmm... I wonder what cingular is charging per international sms? this is a function I use very much to both japan and thailand... maybe some sort of web-based solution is available..?