Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    dtdionne - Believe me, I understand EXACTLY what you're describing and what you're doing. But it isn't an email app any more than Hotsync is an email app. You are confusing an engine with a car, a technology for a solution.

Marc
  2.    #102  
    mblank, i really dont know what to say, as i do not fully understand your point, and i really want too...what is it that I am missing or that you would like me to understand better?

It sounds like you set out to develop an email app for the palm, (which we are not doing) and ran into many obsticals, which i understand, because i have listened to what you have said and it sounds like it would be a very difficult app to develop...i commend you for effort and success in that.

Nexchange, from an email perspective, provides the user the realtime ability to send and receive email from their device. For example when you receive an email it is bolded because it is unread...using Nexchange you will "receive" this email on your device, and in some cases "receive" it on your device before you receive it in Outlook, which when read, from the device, becomes unbolded in Outlook, right before your eyes.

Now if your point is that this isn't a true email app, then i wholeheartedly agree with you, and to be honest i dont think i have ever stated it was...but if your point is that "...there's NO market for that except, perhaps, as a freeware curiosity..." then we have really missed the mark...i hope isnt the case.

Also could you point me to the "...plenty of apps that can [wirelessly] sync [Microsoft Exchange] email folders"?

And to restate my belief ...Nexchange the most elegant solution, to date, for "Extending the Enterprise" to the handheld.

David

BTW, does hotsync sync email? mine doesnt...
    Last edited by dtdionne; 02/20/2005 at 09:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    dtdionne - If you're simply talking about "syncing" email folders without a real email client attached, then you'll find that there's NO market for that except, perhaps, as a freeware curiosity. (I hope this doesn't come across as mean-spiritied; it is intended to get you thinking...) There are plenty of apps that can sync email folders whose cost is a small fraction of your proposed price, and these add a great deal of email client functionality in the bargain. On the other hand, your calendar, etc. syncing provides a capability that isn't easily available now without a monthly subscription.

Marc
    I've had trouble with our environment because the only part of our exchange server that is exposed is web outlook. Currently, I can send emails via pop _only_ if I use movian (or someother) vpn client. I haven't had any luck with app or VPN stability with any email client I've tried. Even Chatter which can send email, can't receive through imap or sync my folders through VPN.

Convincing the IT dept to invest in server-side software is pointless excercise.

Forwarding my email to fastmail.fm is out of the question because it's a security risk.

However, with the latest release of Nexchange, I was able to sync calendar events and other items without trouble.

I'm eagerly looking forward to a mail version of Next.

Having said all that, what will be the email interface once emails and folders have been sync'ed?

-BJ
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by dtdionne
    Also could you point me to the "...plenty of apps that can [wirelessly] sync [Microsoft Exchange] email folders"?
    GoodLink, Intellisync, Seven, Visto, just to name a few

And to restate my belief ...Nexchange the most elegant solution, to date, for "Extending the Enterprise" to the handheld.
    I commend you for your work and I am very interested, obviously from a competitive point of view, but also from a learning point of view, to get feedback from users once you enable email with Nexchange. "The most elegant solution for extending the enterprise" is a bold statement. I truly do hope your solution backs those words as it competition increases awareness of alternative solutions to BB and it helps all of us.
  5.    #105  
    Ben, nexchange will come with an email client interface and it will solve all of the problems you have mentioned. Initially it will just sync the inbox but future releases will sync subfolders of your inbox...and subfolders of all the other data stores for that matter.

GoodGuy, it is an honor to have you post on this thread...i have read many of your threads and you have done an outstanding job supporting Goodlink, they are very fortunate to have you in their ranks. And yes, the apps you mentioned will wirlessly sync exchange folders...i thought mblank was talking about non-middleware apps with that capablilty.

I completely see your point about backing up our claims and i firmily believe that Nexchange will...it is very important for me to state that a very large portion of that claim of the most elegant... is based on the fact that we requre no middleware or re-routing of sensitive data thru a middleware agent. Nexchange connects directly to the Exchange server via SSL, so our solution does not requre any changes to the data center which has been a show stopper for many...it certainly was for us. We evaluated Extended Systems OneBridge which was a FANTASTIC product, it was just way to expensive. It was like $300 per device and that doesnt include the hidden costs of the middleware server hardware and IT staff to maintain and the time spent by the executive committee and IT staff evaluating it, etc. To be honest, the executive's at my previous company LOVED it but would not even consider implementing it which was such a killer because we spent so much time implementing and deploying it. So here at Nextworks we just wanted to give people an alternative. Btw, Goodlink is also a truly outstanding product.
    So, dtdionne - How long would it take, as an estimate, for you to sync 1000 emails that are 4k each?

Marc
    dtdionne, I've sent you a private message regarding the current Nexchange. Could you please respond?
    Thanks.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  8.    #108  
    mblank, that would be very hard to estimate but i would guess that would take a long time over gsm or cdma...prolly around an hour or so maybe longer but i really couldnt say for sure. It would prolly take under 30 min over bluetooth and under 10 min on wifi.
    What would you estimate? I know my cdma connection speed varies quite a bit.

shneor, checking...
    dtdionne - I will make some calculations too. What about the time necessary to check changes between 1000 messages on the server and Treo?

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by dtdionne
    GoodGuy, it is an honor to have you post on this thread...i have read many of your threads and you have done an outstanding job supporting Goodlink, they are very fortunate to have you in their ranks. And yes, the apps you mentioned will wirlessly sync exchange folders...i thought mblank was talking about non-middleware apps with that capablilty.
    Thank you for the compliment, but I help here because I feel that Treocentral is a very valuable resource and the feedback I get here is invaluable. I tend to think you agree given the time and effort your putting in here for your product.

My mistake regarding folder synchronization. I should have known based on your posts here and reasoning behind your development of your product you knew the marketplace.

I completely see your point about backing up our claims and i firmily believe that Nexchange will...it is very important for me to state that a very large portion of that claim of the most elegant... is based on the fact that we requre no middleware or re-routing of sensitive data thru a middleware agent.
    Very nice concept and I am anxious to see the results.
    Nexchange connects directly to the Exchange server via SSL, so our solution does not requre any changes to the data center which has been a show stopper for many...it certainly was for us. We evaluated Extended Systems OneBridge which was a FANTASTIC product, it was just way to expensive. It was like $300 per device and that doesnt include the hidden costs of the middleware server hardware and IT staff to maintain and the time spent by the executive committee and IT staff evaluating it, etc. To be honest, the executive's at my previous company LOVED it but would not even consider implementing it which was such a killer because we spent so much time implementing and deploying it. So here at Nextworks we just wanted to give people an alternative. Btw, Goodlink is also a truly outstanding product.
    I see your point and hear that same sentiment daily from prospective customers. Just as a means of letting you know from a GoodLink perspective, the implementation and deployment costs and time of GoodLink (can't speak for the others outside of what I have heard from customers and our engineers) are minimal. An hour for the server and then roughly 20 minutes to provision phones. Not trying to push GoodLink over your product, but one of the advantages we have over our competition is the ease of install. The direct connection to Exchange could be an issue with some companies based on the two-way opening in their firewall. I know SSL is fairly secure, but with any inbound hole in the firewall, there are going to be security concerns, even through port 443.

Again, I am thoroughly enjoying watching your product develop and grow through the boards here and I am very sincere when I say I wish you continued success. It is fun watching a business develop before my eyes.
  11.    #111  
    mblank, the sync check is typically very quick...say 5 - 10 a sec. I should also state that our current beta is using a single socket for network operations to aid in troubleshooting. We have developed a network operations communication called HyperSync that will be included in the release version...in fact if speed of the nexchange is currently an issue for anyone, please let me know and i will post the HyperSync version which almost quadruples the effective connection speed and throughput.

GoodGuy, i completely agree with your assessment on the value of treocentral, the feedback is outstanding.
    I cannot get this to sync....I can acccess my corp email via https://webmail.mycompany.com and cannot get it to find the server.

Not sure if it is something I am doing wrong or if I dont have the proper exchangeweb to make this work.

Help.

Thanks - very intriquired by this app.
  13.    #113  
    sockmonkey, goto http://www.nextworks.com/helpdesk , register and create a case. Then click on liveEsupport and we can chat over voip or chat and we will get you up and runnin.
    Wow!

I sure hope that's not how your average user is going to have to install this product

WRT true email client versus syncing email... I don't really care, as long as the user experience is similar to the best of breed email clients (and my other concerns, noted above are met)

Sounds to me like it will be fast and will show "read" mails as read in Outlook. How about attachments? How will it handle these? This is another MAJOR drawback of OMA.
  15.    #115  
    tDot, rest assured, that is not how the avarage user will install Nexchange. I understand your point about email and i am sure you will be very plesently surprised. We will handle email attachments by allowing the user to specify the max size of a downloadable attachment.
    OK - I've sent dtdionne a private message (ignored); I've posted a problem ticket at the Nextchange website (on Monday) - also ignored. What do I need to do to get some help getting Nexchange to work for me?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  17.    #117  
    Shneor, i am so sorry, please accept my humble apology. I will be calling you any moment now.

If there is anyone else that even remotely feels the same way, do not hesitate to contact me. via the support site or my cell phone which is 256-468-6398 or 256-797-3215 or my desk phone which is 256-489-0045.
    Last edited by dtdionne; 02/23/2005 at 04:57 PM.
  18.    #118  
    Shneor, i dont have a phone number for you so please feel free to call me any time. I take calls 24/7 so dont hesitate. If you would prefer that i call you, submit your number into your profile on the support site (https://www.nextworks.com/helpdesk) and i will call you immediatly.

As well, i just saw your PM on treo central and for some reason i am not getting notified of them cause there were MANY more that i have not responded too. So everyone that sent me a PM thru TreoCentral, please accept my apology, i am going thru them now and will respond.
    dtdionne,
    I know you were working on handling of those of us who have OWA interface that usese forms for entry of our Domain and Password.

Any progress on this?

Thanks.
  20.    #120  
    SockMonkey, yeah, we should have this solved in the next 3 or 4 days.

I am in the process of making Global Ticktes on our support site that will serve as a central repository for information and status on the major issues we are working on. So be sure to check that out by going here https://www.nextworks.com/helpdesk
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast