Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    David,

TIA means "Thanks In Advance". So what am I deleting then?

Ron
  2.    #62  
    hehe, thanks ron and thanks for calling, it was nice to meet you.

As we discussed you are essentially deleting "duplicate items" from the devcie that already exsist on both the Exchange Server and the device which will be indexed and resynced to the device on the initial sync with Nexchange.
  3. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtdionne
    Rob, WOW!!! you guys are GREAT posters...our product works as long as your company uses Exchange 2000 or 2003 servers... GO TRY IT!!

It communicates over SSL so all of your data is encrypted and secure.
    I did try it, and it said 'Sync Timed-Out'. As I expected, my company's firewall should not allow external clients to access the exchange server directly from the public internet without an active VPN session. This might work within the firewall, but I just can't see how this would work outside any reasonably secure corporation's firewall...
    No server side software, just an exhange rule for my work account, and a custom .forword file on the linux machine hosting my personal mail, but it is really a hack for now. I've done as much as I can to speed message notification up via sms messages to my phone, and when checking my personal (non exchange) account I have enabled the so called imap push functionality to get faster message processing when already connected. Both tho are not true integrated solutions for my appointments and such, but for email it does the job. As for the charges, part of my plan says I can reccieve so many messages per month, so that could be an issue, but your right in that its fortunate the burden rests on the reciever for me ( phone messaging has never caught on in the states like it has internationally, not sure why).

Quote Originally Posted by Swingstylez
    Digidan,

Outside the US, sender-pays for SMS so there's no way to send an SMS from the desktop without additional software solutions. Except, in Japan at least mobiles can be contacted via email, which is debited to your phone accounted. Here in Sweden, we don't have this luxuary with Telia.

I see you have a good point for US citezens, though. Sounds like your process doesn't require any server-side software, is that true?

-Swinger
    (the musical lifestyle, not the sex)
    dtdionne

That I underastand, but one of the thing that baffles me about many treo apps (although your point about non treo compatability and Swingstylez point about international use are well taken) that they do not take advantage of a potentailly woonderfull feature that palm has done a very good job in providing an api for. There really isn't any "server" changes required, simply a rule created by the "Exchnage rule wizard" or what ever its called to send a specific email when something happens. This would not have to be a requirment, but if made an option it could really raise the question, why do I need goodlink if I have your software ( I know, goodlink has other features too, but....).

Just my two cents.
  6.    #66  
    Rob, CALL ME!!!!! we can get it to work...if you can access Outlook Web Access (OWA) then Nexchange will work. It's most likely the host name.

If the url to access OWA for your company is https://www.yourcompany.com/exchange and your user name is rob and your password is rob then this is what you put in the preferences in Nexchange

Exchange Settings:
    Hostname www.yourcompany.com
    Port doenst matter, its hardcoded to 443 eventhough it says 80

Account Settings:
    Username: rob (not yourdomain/rob)
    Password: rob

Poll rates:
    Dont matter, we have then turned off

As well, if you call i will make you a test account on our system to verify functionality.

So call me at 256-468-6398 and we will get you up an runnin.
  7.    #67  
    Great input digitadan i understand where you are coming from. we just had too many issues with sms, for instance...multipule account changes in a short period of time. This situation had the device constantly connected to exchange for like 45 min and longer (which rendered the device usless for calls because it was connected to the net) cause, every min a new change happend. we found it MUCH MUCH better to do 5min batches for email and 2 hr batches for cal, etc. As well, userfriendlyness deminishes exponentially with each configuration change...ie, add this rule here and this .forward there and on and on. trust me, we have been down all of those paths. I would LOVE to share with you the plans we have for Nexchange 2nd gen but i have to finsh the pantent claims and submit them to our IP attorney. Nexchange 2nd gen is soooo radically different and efficent.
  8. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Rob, CALL ME!!!!! we can get it to work...if you can access Outlook Web Access (OWA) then Nexchange will work. It's most likely the host name.

If the url to access OWA for your company is https://www.yourcompany.com/exchange and your user name is rob and your password is rob then this is what you put in the preferences in Nexchange

Exchange Settings:
    Hostname www.yourcompany.com
    Port doenst matter, its hardcoded to 443 eventhough it says 80

Account Settings:
    Username: rob (not yourdomain/rob)
    Password: rob
    Yes, I think that worked (I had copied the server settings from my Outlook client, which I hadn't expected to work because it required you to be behind the firewall, but now I understand the program is going through OWA). If I was afraid to select delete all contacts, calendar, etc. before syncing, is it going to duplicate every contact and calendar item that I have on both my Treo and on Outlook?
  9.    #69  
    Rob, that's such GREAT NEWS!!! (pun intended), In a nutshell it will syncronize everything on both sides if you do not choose to delete the palm db's. So, if you say, have a me, David Dionne, as a conntact in Exchange and have hotsynced a copy to your device and you do not choose to remove me from the device by deleting contacts, you will end up with a duplicate.

We had a very sizable debate on whether or not to give the user an option or not. I was firmly of the opinon that we shouldnt because it would create more confusion. Our competitors Extended systems etc. do not give you an option. They just say "make sure all of your calendar, contacts, notes and tasks have been hotsynced into outlook before continuing because your device databases are going to be deleted to prevent duplication". So i think we are going to do the same for the release version.

BTW!!! MAKE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR DEVICE WITH EITHER HOTSYNC OR A PROGRAM LIKE BACKUPMAN OR BACKUPBUDDY before loading Nexchange RC 1.1!!!!

Rob, would you goto www.nextworks.com/support , register and open a support case so that we can be sure to track your progress and make sure you are taken care of? Also, do not hesitate to call me. I have only received a few calls from people and was hoping more would...
    dtdionne,

Got problems, tried to run program but it kept shutting down my Treo. Any recommendations?

Thanks
    First off, this sounds like an exciting product..I'm very interested after being a frustrated Treo600/Exchange user for the last year plus.

A couple of feedback points:

1. I wouldn't consider this until the email is working. Give me a free beta with email to test first before I buy. make it 30 day limit or whatever, I just need to know it works for me.

2. You mentioned that you were not going to provide a GUI with your product...that is a MONUMENTAL ERROR IN JUDGEMENT if you don't.

This thing will be a KILLER product and make you a lot of $$ if it does these 4 things;

a) Must access exchange without requiring middleware on the server (like Good, Blackberry).

b) MUST have a well designed GUI like BaseJet. (Take ADVANTAGE of the awesome Treo 650 screen!) If you underestimate the importance of this it will be to your peril.

c) Make sure it can store user name. I use OMA and it asks for my frikin user name everytime, which is a royal pain in my @ss.

d) And this is a big one: Make sure that it doesn't take me 37 clicks to send a frikin email! OMA is the most infuriating piece of software ever written. It needs to submit back to the server after EVERY infuriating piece of info (like TO, SUBJECT, etc, etc. etc.

If you can do all these things I will buy your software GUARANTEED.

Good Luck!
  12.    #72  
    ronbo2000, there is a known issue that we are working on right now with the 650 and the T5. Palm has designed new style PIM DB's for the 650 and T5 that have more fields and are more robust. The old style DB's are still there to provide backward's compatibility. So if an app writes something to the old DB the palm replicates that to the new DB. The prob we have is upon completion of our wizard, if you choose to remove the DBs (which is what we recommend after making sure all of your data on your device has been hotsynced into outlook), only removes and recreates the old db's which causes a conflict with the new style DB's. To resolve this we have have redesigned the wizard to deleting and recreate all 8 PIM db's. we are testing it now. There is a manual workaround in the meantime that i can walk you thru if you wanna call me. what you do is use filez to manually remove then recreate all 8 db's PIM DB's before the initial sync.

Your best bet is to call and we will get you up an running in no time.

tDot, thank you for your input, i am working on a response now.
  13.    #73  
    First off, this sounds like an exciting product..I'm very interested after being a frustrated Treo600/Exchange user for the last year plus.

Thank you, we certainly are excited about it and likewise, that is exactly what led to this product being developed.

A couple of feedback points:

1. I wouldn't consider this until the email is working. Give me a free beta with email to test first before I buy. make it 30 day limit or whatever, I just need to know it works for me.

Response: Deal, I will let everyone know when our Release Candidate 1 for Nexchange Corporate Professional is available. FYI... Im not saying this is an issue for you but I thought it would be worth stating.
    Nexchange Corporate Professional, which includes email is going to sell for $174.99.
    Nexchange Corporate Lite, which is the current RC 1.1 comes with a 15 day trial and sells for $39.99. The release version of Nexchange Corp Lite will sell for $124.99.
    If you purchase Nexchange RC 1.x you will get a free copy of Nexchange Corporate Professional when it is released which means that you save $134.99.

2. You mentioned that you were not going to provide a GUI with your product...that is a MONUMENTAL ERROR IN JUDGEMENT if you don't.

Response: Agreed...we considered not having a gui for about a millisecond, a year ago when we started the design.

This thing will be a KILLER product and make you a lot of $$ if it does these 4 things;

a) Must access exchange without requiring middleware on the server (like Good, Blackberry).

Response: Agreed and that is EXACTLY what our product does RIGHT NOW, and that was the primary design goal. We, at all cost, designed Nexchange to not TOUCH the data center. Nexchange DOES NOT requre a middleware agent or server.

b) MUST have a well designed GUI like BaseJet. (Take ADVANTAGE of the awesome Treo 650 screen!) If you underestimate the importance of this it will be to your peril.

Response: Agreed, in progress...the shipping versions will be stunning especially on the high res versions.

c) Make sure it can store user name. I use OMA and it asks for my frikin user name everytime, which is a royal pain in my @ss.

Response: Agreed, in progress and very easy to accomplish, we just pull the GAL from the builtin Offline Address Book function in Exchange.

d) And this is a big one: Make sure that it doesn't take me 37 clicks to send a frikin email! OMA is the most infuriating piece of software ever written. It needs to submit back to the server after EVERY infuriating piece of info (like TO, SUBJECT, etc, etc. etc.

Response: Agreed, we are going to be opening dialog with the premier palm email app providers, snapper, vista, etc to explore partnership opportunities because the actual palm to exchange email syncronization logic from a programatic/proceedural standpoint is EXTERMELY fast and fanstatic...plus its done we are just trying to hammer out the core functionality of the app now.

If you can do all these things I will buy your software GUARANTEED.

GREAT!!! Thank you!! and im gonna hold you to that

Good Luck!

Again, thank you!!! i will take luck over skill every day of the week. Thank you for your input it certainly sounds like you have a very good understanding of the issues surrounding this and that is refreshing. On a sidenote we are also going to be releasing a personal version that will install a super light weight, unconfigurable exchange-like server on your computer that will host your *.pst file and allow individual users the same functionality without having to be in a corporate environment that has an exchange deployment. Then we are going to release an Enterprise edition of Nexchange that will combine the Professional and Personal versions.
    Last edited by dtdionne; 02/15/2005 at 01:44 PM.
  14.    #74  
    BTW...we are just about to release ver 1.2 which will significantly improve stability and enble the ssl check box and port number.

We have solved a major issue with network stability. Here was the problem...

What’s happening is, the cell network is failing or stalling for a long enough time to trigger a TCP timeout which effectively killed the connection, which is not unusual as the cell network is VERY VERY unreliable. Our problem was that we are or were not handling that gracefully. A graceful way of handling that would be to just “snooze” the app and just relaunch it and let it pick up from where it left off, which is what this new release does. So if the cell network drops the connection, the app will bring you out to the summary screen and display that the sync timed out. Then you can sync again and it will pick backup from where it left off.

Although this works, we consider it a temporary fix. The full fix will handle the network timeout by restablishing a new network connection and continue without exiting to the summary screen...unless of course there was a monumental timeout...aka 2 min or longer.

SO BE SURE TO GO GET Nexchange RC 1.2!!!!
    I have just spent some time with Dave Dionne (dtdionne), the developer, getting his app to work smoothly with my T650. Extraordinary support (how many developers post their phone number here in the forum?), though you might want to consider the decaf there, Dave.

App works basically as advertised. Full sync of Exchange based Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos. Right now, you have to manually sync. Setup was fairly easy, though we did spend some time manually deleting files prior to the first sync. After that, it connected to my Exchange server and reloaded all my entries back on the T650 seamlessly.

As he says, email and automated sync'ing is in the works. I hope that works out. What I have seen so far is VERY encouraging.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmf
    I have just spent some time with Dave Dionne (dtdionne), the developer, getting his app to work smoothly with my T650. Extraordinary support (how many developers post their phone number here in the forum?), though you might want to consider the decaf there, Dave.

App works basically as advertised. Full sync of Exchange based Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos. Right now, you have to manually sync. Setup was fairly easy, though we did spend some time manually deleting files prior to the first sync. After that, it connected to my Exchange server and reloaded all my entries back on the T650 seamlessly.

As he says, email and automated sync'ing is in the works. I hope that works out. What I have seen so far is VERY encouraging.
    Wmf or dtdionne, could you tell me how big the memory footprint is?
  17. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    BTW...we are just about to release ver 1.2 which will significantly improve stability and enble the ssl check box and port number.
    SO BE SURE TO GO GET Nexchange RC 1.2!!!!
    Just install directly over existing RC?
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52
    Wmf or dtdionne, could you tell me how big the memory footprint is?
    I'm sure dtdionne can give it to you exactly, but I make it about 800K with the various DB's. YMMV.
  19.    #79  
    moppet52, nexchange itself is 140k

rob, yeah, just install over it.

wmf, thank you for the kind words and giving us a chance.
  20.    #80  
    fyi, i just posted ver 1.2a which has a much lower RESPONSE_TIMEOUT. which is much better for usability. 1.2 had a 10 min RESPONSE_TIMEOUT that can crash the phone but is much better for debugging. So you may want to get 1.2a but it would prolly be ok to wait for 1.3 unless your cell reception is really bad which will cause the app to hang, in that case a 15 sec RESPONSE_TIMEOUT is much better...

David
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast