Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    digitaldan, GREAT quesitons:

1. It does not support 5.5 (unless there is a patch that enables web-dav) and it does require web-dav...which is automatically enabled on 2000 and 2003. Do you know if there is a patch from Microsoft that enables web-dav on 5.5?

2. It does require a net connection. Right now we dont have the alarms enabled, we just just want to iron out the core functionality. The alarms will allow you to specify a poll rate for each data store individually (email, cal, contacts, notes, and tasks) and the application will automatically sync when it detects a change to a local data store, aka if you add modify or delete a contact, or calendar event, etc.

3. YES, it is still utililzing the native palm DB's so all current PIM front ends work fine. Email is comming the next release which is Nexchange Corporate Professional and we will create an email DB as there isnt a std one on all Plam devices.

Once again... GREAT QUESTIONS... Also, the first 100 people to purchase the beta will have an Exchange account created on our system to test with...if needed.
    Last edited by dtdionne; 02/12/2005 at 07:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtdionne
    to purchase the beta
    Aside from the excessive announcements, I think this is the biggest problem with this product. Lets say I purchase this beta (which I wont do) and the product is not satisfactory or doesnt suit my needs or is a buggy piece of crap, what then is my recourse? Why would anyone give you $40 for something that may or may not work? Do you think we are all stupid?

Sorry thats a harsh question but really, do you spend any time here at all? I think not. If you did you would know that betas are free. I am just amazed that you would realistically expect anyone to PAY for the priviledge of testing software. I mean who goes to the car dealer and plunks down money to test drive?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  3. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Dtdionne, this looks very promising, but unfortunately my company's servers are all behind firewalls, so unless you have a built-in VPN client, I don't think I can use this...

4.    #44  
    Hey woof, not harsh at all and VERY reasonable questions...it has an 30 day money back guarentee.

Also for purchasing the beta, you are entitled to a free upgrade to the Corporate Professional Product which will sell for $174.99 (compared to $250-$400 per unit from Extended Systems, Good, Blackberry, etc, which does not include the hidden costs of the middleware software and server hardware and IT staff to manage it in the data center)

once again...GREAT questions

David Dionne
    CEO

Nextworks
    256-489-0045
    256-468-6398
    david@nextworks.com
    Hey woof, not harsh at all and a VERY reasonable questions...it has an 30 day money back guarentee.

Also for purchaseing the beta, you are entitled to a free upgrade to the Corporate Professional Product which will sell for $174.99 (compaired to $250-$400 per unit from Extended Systems, Good, Blackberry, etc, which does not include the hidden costs of the middleware software and server hardware and IT staff to manage it in the data center)

Once again, very good questions.
    reasonable answers. The upgrade looks like a good deal too.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  6.    #46  
    Also, i signed up here when i first got my treo a year ago...i didnt post much but read tons...i never post cause i firmly believe that my question has been asked and answered in nausium...so i just search.

I did however have to re-register today...i couldnt find my account.
    Last edited by dtdionne; 02/12/2005 at 01:30 PM.
  7.    #47  
    thanks woof
  8.    #48  
    Rob, WOW!!! you guys are GREAT posters...our product works as long as your company uses Exchange 2000 or 2003 servers... GO TRY IT!!

It communicates over SSL so all of your data is encrypted and secure.
    Hi,

Has anyone managed to get this to work?

I can connect to exchange through mergic with the t600's built in mail client but not with this product...

It sounds promising, so hope it works!

I'll send mr.spammer a pm...
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
  10.    #50  
    Swingstylez...CALL ME and i will cal you back so you dont have to pay long distance!!! im here to help and very excited to help.

256-489-0045 or 256-468-6398
    All posting merged. Please do not post repeated messages all over.

Thanks
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 02/12/2005 at 01:51 PM.
    dtdionne,

I am interested but I need to a trial version before I shell out $40.
    Swingstylez...CALL ME and i will cal you back so you dont have to pay long distance!!! im here to help and very excited to help.

256-489-0045 or 256-468-6398
    David and I are working together to resolve this - will keep you posted!

(update)

It appears that my company uses Exchange 5.5. Drat.

On the bright side, I do recommend trying the product as David is very enthusiastic to deliver a quality product.

-Swingstylez
    Last edited by Swingstylez; 02/12/2005 at 02:41 PM.
  14.    #54  
    ronbo2000, it comes with a 15 day trial...so go get it!!
    Palmgear has no trial download on its page. Correction, found it.

I also went to Handango, no such software and also to http://www.nextworks.com and tried the download page, it came back with "The page cannot be found" message.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 02/12/2005 at 02:36 PM.
    Here's my thing,

What is really important to me is realtime updates to events like mail and appointments, as well as having my corporate contacts synced. I am trying to set up a sysem to mimic the goodlink/blackberry system (minus the huge cost). Every time my exchange account recieves a email or apointment it sends a specially crafted sms to my phone which treohelper (excellent app, easy to hack for one self) is confgured to intercept and launch my mail client to sync, all in the background. If you were to have this same capability, ie the application registered to be notifed of special sms messges and react accordingly, this would be a truely killer app.

Also, if we do ever upgrade to say exchange 2003, what is your benefit over Micro$ofts active sync stuff, which the 650 is already can talk to (at least mail and calendar)

digitaldan, GREAT quesitons:

1. It does not support 5.5 (unless there is a patch that enables web-dav) and it does require web-dav...which is automatically enabled on 2000 and 2003. Do you know if there is a patch from Microsoft that enables web-dav on 5.5?

2. It does require a net connection. Right now we dont have the alarms enabled, we just just want to iron out the core functionality. The alarms will allow you to specify a poll rate for each data store individually (email, cal, contacts, notes, and tasks) and the application will automatically sync when it detects a change to a local data store, aka if you add modify or delete a contact, or calendar event, etc.

3. YES, it is still utililzing the native palm DB's so all current PIM front ends work fine. Email is comming the next release which is Nexchange Corporate Professional and we will create an email DB as there isnt a std one on all Plam devices.

Once again... GREAT QUESTIONS... Also, the first 100 people to purchase the beta will have an Exchange account created on our system to test with.
  17.    #57  
    Digitaldan, once again...great comments that will facilitate a great converstion.

I am writing a response that will take a little bit and wanted you to know that i was workin on that...

and here it is...

You have hit on a few very key elements that have guided our development for NexChange. The reason we don't use sms to notify a device of a new item in Exchange is completely based on the fact that we, in no way, want to touch the data center because that is what drives the extreme expense that you have pointed out with Blackberry, Good/Goodlink, Extended Systems, Seven, Intellisync, etc. Our solution essentially removes the need to get your company's executive committee involved as well as require the IT dept to purchase middleware servers to host the middleware software, then hire and train more IT staff to administer the middleware solution. Much like Microsoft’s Active sync application, which you have pointed out as being included with the Treo 650, NexChange uses fully independent and fully customizable polling rates to “ask” the Exchange Server if anything has changed. The default polling rates will be…5 min for email, 10 min for calendar, 4 hrs for contacts, 4 hrs for tasks/to-do’s, and 4 hrs for notes/memos. NexChange also has a manual sync button and it will immediately sync if a Palm DB has changed.

NexChange competes directly with Microsoft’s active sync client. The benefit of our product over Microsoft’s is that it runs on all PalmOS devices 3.5.1 and higher including the new 6.1 Cobalt, not just the 650, and that it includes Tasks and Notes. Active sync is a good product and it was VERY hard on us when we read the announcement that Palm was porting it to the 650…I almost closed the doors here at Nextworks. It was the fact that we are porting NexChange to all Symbian based OS’s as well as the RIM OS that kept us alive. There are close to 200,000,000 symbian based devices that will never be served in existence right now. All of them have a contacts DB and 99% of them have a Calendar DB that most don’t know exists let alone use. We are going to release a symbian version called NexChange Ultra-lite for $19.99 that will enable those devices the luxury of synchronicity with Exchange for their Calendar and Contacts making them MUCH more useful.

So the bottom line with our product, NexChange, was to leave the data center alone at all cost.

David Dionne
    CEO

Nextworks
    256-489-0045
    256-468-6398
    david@nextworks.com
    Last edited by dtdionne; 02/12/2005 at 03:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldan
    Here's my thing,
    Every time my exchange account recieves a email or apointment it sends a specially crafted sms to my phone
    Digidan,

Outside the US, sender-pays for SMS so there's no way to send an SMS from the desktop without additional software solutions. Except, in Japan at least mobiles can be contacted via email, which is debited to your phone accounted. Here in Sweden, we don't have this luxuary with Telia.

I see you have a good point for US citezens, though. Sounds like your process doesn't require any server-side software, is that true?

-Swinger
    Last edited by Swingstylez; 02/14/2005 at 12:02 PM.
    David,

Moved per your request. I've downloaded and installed. It is asking me to delete all my calendar, contacts, etc. to prevent duplication. Why is that?

I don't see where it ask information about synching email. Will it sync emails too?

PS: your website seems to be very sparse in information, most of it is coming soon....

TIA
  20.    #60  
    Hey TIA, ONLY delete them if they already exsist in Exchange...if they dont exsist in Exchange keep them and Nexchange will syncronize all the differences. The key to understanding this is to realize that everything is new to Nexchange before the first sync even if you and i can see with our own eyes that they are duplicates.

Email is going to be included in the next full release of Nexchange called Nexchange Corporate Professional. The version that is available now as Nexchange Release Candidate(RC) 1.1 is the beta for Nexchange Corporate Lite which lacks email because email isnt a standard Palm PIM db.

Yes, our website is sparse at this time, but the Support site is fully functional and located here . I am working on getting full device screenshots and detailed instructions and explanations for the preferences dialog of the application now, which will be located here .

Please, anyone, feel free to call me at work:256-489-0045 or cell:256-468-6398 for immediate assistance ANYTIME!!! Its killing me to know that about 25 people have downloaded our app and I have no way of making sure that they are taken care of and completely satisfied unless they contact me. So dont hesitate.

David
    Last edited by dtdionne; 02/12/2005 at 05:08 PM.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast