1.    #1  
    I have no clue how to create and use ringtones in my 650 -- even though I've read the manual and searched this forum.

Would someone be so kind as to either answer these questions or direct me to where I can find answers.

1. I have songs in iTunes that I'd like to conver to ringtones; they are in mpeg format. Is that the same as MP3? Will mpeg's work?

2. Obviously, I don't want whole songs as ringtones. When you use songs, do you have to edit them to 12 or so seconds, or do they shut off, automatically, when you answer the phone?

3. I have a Mac, a 1 gig card in the 650. Do I drag and drop songs onto the card? Or sync them there with Missing Sync? Does it matter? Is the conversion to ringtone done in the phone or on the Mac?

4. Is this a difficult thing to do? If not,

5. Would you be so kind as to put down a short, step-by-step, from iTunes to ringtone (including putting it where it belongs so it is attached as a ringotne not just a song)?

6. What external software will I need?

Thanks.

sjh
    Why don"t you just get Callfilter and use full MP3's from the SD card as ringtones. It is a lot easier
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    Why don"t you just get Callfilter and use full MP3's from the SD card as ringtones. It is a lot easier
    Because iTunes (and similar offerings) don't give you full MP3's.

Here's a quick answer: a program called missing sync: www.markspace.com. Does more than just sync iTunes

If you don't like that option, here's some other answers:

1. I have songs in iTunes that I'd like to conver to ringtones; they are in mpeg format. Is that the same as MP3? Will mpeg's work?

MPEG's will work but your particular ones are likely protected (if you bought them online). There are some programs that will rip from a protected file...

2. Obviously, I don't want whole songs as ringtones. When you use songs, do you have to edit them to 12 or so seconds, or do they shut off, automatically, when you answer the phone?

Different programs let you select how long to let the call ring. It will stop the ring without playing the whole song.

3. I have a Mac, a 1 gig card in the 650. Do I drag and drop songs onto the card? Or sync them there with Missing Sync? Does it matter? Is the conversion to ringtone done in the phone or on the Mac?

No conversion is necessary if you use a third-party program, it will play the mp3 (or other formats). You can leave them on the card, or drag & drop onto the main memory. But with only ~23 megs usable, you might not want to fill that precious space with a full mp3 (average of 3+ megs)

4. Is this a difficult thing to do? If not,

No

5. Would you be so kind as to put down a short, step-by-step, from iTunes to ringtone (including putting it where it belongs so it is attached as a ringotne not just a song)?

I don't use iTunes. One additional possibility is to use Real Player to transfer songs. I guess the test would be if Real plays your protected iTunes songs.

6. What external software will I need?

A few options: lightwav, ringo, callfilter...there are others.

You may want to browse thru the "software" section of this board. Lots of tips & additional programs
    sorry. I just assumed EVERYONE with a Mac had Missisng Sync.
  5.    #5  
    Following the good advice given here, I started to look at CallFilter.

I found a forum on mytreo that seems to indicate that CallFilter does not run on a 650 -- yet -- and that a new version will be necessary.

Anyone know if it works on the 650?

In addition, I did some research on Lightwav and found that many people (at least those who post and may not be a complete sample) are unhappy with it.

Still not clear on one point: Do I have to convert my mpeg's to mp3's or not?

Thanks for the help.

sjh

PS. I have MissingSync -- not using it now. Want a rock solid system before I introduce a variable. So far, Palm software is working perfectly.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The iTunes format is a form of MP4. I don't know of any Palm software that will play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiefire
    1. I have songs in iTunes that I'd like to conver to ringtones; they are in mpeg format. Is that the same as MP3? Will mpeg's work?sjh
    Those aren't MPEGs in iTunes, they're mp4 files. It's a propritary format that iTunes uses to keep you from sharing your music with more people or devices than iTunes wants you to. If you want to play those tunes on the Treo, you'll first need to convert them to mp3. There are a number of third-party applications that will do this, and most of them aren't free. Do a Google search for "convert mp4 to mp3" and you'll see what I mean.

The ringtones used by the Treos native apps are MIDI files. They are a lot less complex than MP3/MP4/etc. There are a bunch of them available for free on TreoBits, but you'll need another third-party app to use an MP3 file as a ringtone.

Personally, I use a ringtone that sounds like a phone, but that's just me.
    callfilter for the 650 should be out this week!
    Hi Guys!
    You can easily change the format of music downloaded from itunes within the program itself. You need to first go to preferences, and under the import tab - choose mp3. You can also adjust the sampling rate depending on the quality you desire. Now highlight/select the songs you wish to change, and use the import command to convert them. The originals will not be altered, and you will have the songs in both formats. If you burn your mp4 songs to cd (that is, songs you purchased from iTunes store) you can then make as many copies as you want, no restrictions.

After converting to mp3, drag them onto your SD card while it is mounted on your mac with a card reader. You should be good to go.

I use Pocket tunes in conjunction with TreoGuard to play MP3's as ringers. Pocket tunes even has a very cool iTunes skin that mimics the program on the mac! Very cool!!

Hope this helps!

Kurt
    Actually Prairie, you have been getting some misinformation. I'll try to clear it up...

Quote Originally Posted by treo geek
    Because iTunes (and similar offerings) don't give you full MP3's.
    You absolutely CAN get normal run of the mill everyday MP3s from iTunes. Maybe Treo Geek is thinking of when you BUY songs from iTunes (which are MP4/AAC). If you go into Preferences under the iTunes menu and flip over to Importing, you can choose between MP3, AAC, WAV, Apple Lossless, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by treo geek
    MPEG's will work but your particular ones are likely protected (if you bought them online).
    Actually, I think his songs will work just fine with the Treo 650. If it says MPEG audio file under KIND in iTunes, that means it's an MP3. If it's an AAC ripped from a CD, then it's called AAC audio file. And if it's a song purchased through iTunes, then it says Protected AAC audio file.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    The iTunes format is a form of MP4. I don't know of any Palm software that will play it.
    A quick search on Google with "AAC Palm" yielded Kinoma Player 3 EX as a palm client being able to play AACs. Of course, you probably won't be able to play protected songs you bought through iTunes, but you can play AAC songs ripped through iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by copwriter
    Those aren't MPEGs in iTunes, they're mp4 files.
    As I said before, songs labeled MPEG audio file in iTunes ARE MP3s. These were not bought through iTunes but either ripped with iTunes or imported from another programed that ripped them into MP3.
    As to your original question Prairie. I'm not exactly sure how to convert a song into MIDI (or whatever) and make it into a ringtone. I suggest looking/searching in the
    MAC and Treo forum...

GOOD LUCK!!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    You can easily add MIDI ringtones to the 650...

Here is a good link explaining how, plus some MIDI search sites.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...9349)#download

I may post this as a separate thread...
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    But that isn't what is being asked here.

Converting music files (MP3, etc.) to MIDI is not easy, but Intelliscore is the first thing that popped up when I did a Google search. I wonder how well it works.

Edit: Tried it. Not very well, at least for my chosen file.
    Last edited by holmes4; 02/13/2005 at 08:21 PM.