Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    guys listen, I used to work for AT&T (up until dec). I'm telling you, I personally know what is available and what isn't available to end users. I'm talking specifically via ATTWS, you CAN get insurance for your phone. If I didnt have insurance or better yet, if my friends didnt have insurance on their treos why is it that one was totally replaced with a payment of a few bucks as a deductable? ATTWS and Cingular are not totally combined yet. Their systems are at least 2 years out from being totally combined and the old ATTWS put to rest.
    Well, first you said CINGULAR. You originally said "I have insurance on my 650 with cingular b2b", now you said "I'm talking specifically via ATTWS. I have ATT".

So I'm confused.

We are on the ATT State of NJ FAN. My wife works for the State. We have an ATT 650. 3 calls and they won't insure it. They wouldn't even insure my Audiovox SMT5600 ($199) last October because it was a "data-centric device" and they said "they don't insure data-centric devices."

So I don't know what to tell you. I'm not saying you don't have it. I'm saying I can't get it and no one who I have called at the ATT B2B number (3x plus my initial purchase) can tell me how either.

Quote Originally Posted by dado96
    guys listen, I used to work for AT&T (up until dec). I'm telling you, I personally know what is available and what isn't available to end users. I'm talking specifically via ATTWS, you CAN get insurance for your phone. If I didnt have insurance or better yet, if my friends didnt have insurance on their treos why is it that one was totally replaced with a payment of a few bucks as a deductable? ATTWS and Cingular are not totally combined yet. Their systems are at least 2 years out from being totally combined and the old ATTWS put to rest.
    I honestly don't know what to call them any more cingular, attws, its all the same evil. I worked for AT&T Network Disaster Recovery. I'm going to make some calls tomorrow to my old group and see what the deal is. I'm positive that this should be a no brainer. I'll post again tomorrow.
    well looks like it won't be settled until someone act. breaks their phone and submits a successful claim...

i called up today and insured 2 phones w/o knowing beforehand that they prohibited certain models - both of which are on the list of phones banned by cingular according to this page
    http://www.cingular.com/customer_ser...hone_insurance

however, it would be worthy of small claims court if they choose not to honor the coverage that they signed me up for

i also read over the legal doc from CNA and since it doesn't mention specific phones that they will cover (only that they will cover up to $1500 for a replacement), i dont see why they won't honor an agreement if you do somehow manage to get yourself signed up...

the doc is here
    http://www.cingular.com/download/pho...erage_form.pdf
    Well, just as I suspected. Cingular cancelled my Lockline insurance TODAY when they found out I had a PDA phone. They said Lockline would not have paid, or replaced my PPC phone if something were to happen to it. They offered me the insurance for my cheap phone, and I told them where to shove it.

If I don't find cheap insurance I'm going back to Sprint.

BTW, I know it's blasted all over Cingular's web site that T650 and SX66 are not covered, but I thought I try, anyway.
    I would think you would be under the terms of Cingular's rules and not CNA if it came to court. CNA does cover these phones for other carriers so their general terms wouldn't exclude them.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidk
    well looks like it won't be settled until someone act. breaks their phone and submits a successful claim...

i called up today and insured 2 phones w/o knowing beforehand that they prohibited certain models - both of which are on the list of phones banned by cingular according to this page
    http://www.cingular.com/customer_ser...hone_insurance

however, it would be worthy of small claims court if they choose not to honor the coverage that they signed me up for

i also read over the legal doc from CNA and since it doesn't mention specific phones that they will cover (only that they will cover up to $1500 for a replacement), i dont see why they won't honor an agreement if you do somehow manage to get yourself signed up...

the doc is here
    http://www.cingular.com/download/pho...erage_form.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Well, just as I suspected. Cingular cancelled my Lockline insurance TODAY when they found out I had a PDA phone. They said Lockline would not have paid, or replaced my PPC phone if something were to happen to it. They offered me the insurance for my cheap phone, and I told them where to shove it.

If I don't find cheap insurance I'm going back to Sprint.

BTW, I know it's blasted all over Cingular's web site that T650 and SX66 are not covered, but I thought I try, anyway.
    tonyh,

how did they cancel your insurance? did they just give you a call or did you see it cancelled on your bill?

more importantly, did they refund you for the premiums you had paid up to this point?
    It turns out my insurance for $3.99 is still on, but.............Lockline says I can't get an equivalent replacement if something happens. Huh?

I called cingular, and they said: "you gotta call Lockline to find out why they don't cover this phone, and others like the T650 and Moto Razr."

I called Lockline. They said "It's Cingular that doesn't want these expensive phones covered." They added "please call Cingular and have them cancel the insurance because if you lose or damage your SX66 we will not send you an equivalent replacement. You gotta serttle for anything we send you in this case."

Soooooooooooo, it's the corporate rats at Cingular who are the culprits, and not Lockline, because Lockline insures similar phones for Sprint customers for $5/month.

Carry on with your online petition that I doubt Cingular people read or care about.
    I was able to add the phone insurance via Cingular's "My Account" section of their web site. Go to My Features and click on the "Available Features" tab. $3.99 a month with a $50 deductible.

Now lets see if it stays on.
    It may stay on, but you won't collect if anything happens since Cingular specifically excludes it both on their website and in the store brochures: http://www.cingular.com/customer_ser...hone_insurance

All they would have to do is refund your insurance payment. (SORRY BUT THE CUT AND PASTE GOT MANGLED)

Some devices are not eligible for wireless phone insurance. The following phones and PDAs do not qualify for coverage:
    • <LI class=black>Motorola
      • <LI class=secondLevel>A009 <LI class=secondLevel>A388 <LI class=secondLevel>MPX220 <LI class=secondLevel>StarTAC <LI class=secondLevel>V3 RAZR
      • V60i
      <LI class=black>Nokia
      • <LI class=secondLevel>7610
      • 9290 Communicator
      <LI class=black>PalmOne
      • <LI class=secondLevel>ACE <LI class=secondLevel>Treo 180 <LI class=secondLevel>Treo 270 <LI class=secondLevel>Treo 600 <LI class=secondLevel>Treo 650
      • Visor
      <LI class=black>RIM
      • <LI class=secondLevel>6210 <LI class=secondLevel>6280 <LI class=secondLevel>7280
      <LI class=black>Siemens
      • SX66
      <LI class=black>Sony Ericsson
      • P800
      • P900

Quote Originally Posted by Smoko
    I was able to add the phone insurance via Cingular's "My Account" section of their web site. Go to My Features and click on the "Available Features" tab. $3.99 a month with a $50 deductible.

Now lets see if it stays on.
    Last edited by MisterEd; 02/17/2005 at 09:41 PM.
    I called Cingular tonight to change up my plan, I got my phone on the 11th of this month. I asked for the insurance deal for 3.99 and the girl said that was fine and added it. I asked her a second time if the Treo was covered and she said it was and I asked here if the info was online and she said the info was not online for the Treo and she is mailing the info to me.
    Unless it changed as of today (which would be good news) you've been given incorrect information. If you read the information here: http://www.cingular.com/customer_ser...hone_insurance it's quite obvious she's wrong.

The CNA agreement posted here: http://www.cingular.com/download/pho...erage_form.pdf also states (edited):

VII
    B. To be eligible for coverage:
    2. the “Covered Property” must be designated by us as eligible for coverage under this "Coverage Certificate"

Quote Originally Posted by cheyenne
    I called Cingular tonight to change up my plan, I got my phone on the 11th of this month. I asked for the insurance deal for 3.99 and the girl said that was fine and added it. I asked her a second time if the Treo was covered and she said it was and I asked here if the info was online and she said the info was not online for the Treo and she is mailing the info to me.
    Nothing changed. I said that Lockline told me to ask Cingular to cancel the insurance. They flat out said they will not replace any PDA phone under Cingular plan. So, even if you can enroll, it means nothing. If you lose your Treo650 you may get whatever they throw at you because the policy does not cover it.
    Does anyone know if Palmone is planning to offer insurance for the 650/600s? They own the phones, so why would they not want to make some extra money by insuring them. Just a wild thought. I called the number provided on Lockline's webpage, and was directed to an automated menu system to set up insurance for ATTWS. I didn't go through with it because I was not sure if I would be able to file a claim and get the 650 replaced. A friend of mine has a claim in right now for his Sprint 650, I will wait to see how that works out. Anyone tried to send in a claim for an ATT/Cingular/unlocked 650? Sorry about the run-on sentences, it's late and I should be in bed.
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by thxac3
    Does anyone know if Palmone is planning to offer insurance for the 650/600s? They own the phones, so why would they not want to make some extra money by insuring them. Just a wild thought. I called the number provided on Lockline's webpage, and was directed to an automated menu system to set up insurance for ATTWS. I didn't go through with it because I was not sure if I would be able to file a claim and get the 650 replaced. A friend of mine has a claim in right now for his Sprint 650, I will wait to see how that works out. Anyone tried to send in a claim for an ATT/Cingular/unlocked 650? Sorry about the run-on sentences, it's late and I should be in bed.
    I highly doubt that Palm One will offer it again. They did originally with 180 and stopped it half way through the first year. But that was Handspring too, so maybe, nahhh.
    Your friend's Sprint claim should be no problem because SPRINT chooses to cover the 650. It's NOT LOCKLINE who refuses to insure the 650 (and RaZr and other expensive phones) for Cing/Att it Cing/ATT telling Lockline they don't want them covered. Why you ask? Because like with any insurance the more claim dollars that is paid the higher the overall rates TO CINGULAR. By adding the 650 (and any of the expensive phones that aren't currently covered) Cingular's policy costs would go up. Cingular needs to have 2 tiers of rates, one for UNDER $xx.xx and one for OVER $xx.xx. Why should the person insuring a cheapie phone pay the same as someone insuring a $600 phone (just as auto insurance rates are determined by the TYPE of car you are driving). Ultimately that is what is going to happen (or they could raise everyone's rates which is wrong but easier to administer).

Quote Originally Posted by thxac3
    Yes, it is Cingular who asked Lockline not to insure the T650 and other PDA phones.

Sprint pays the premium and demands all their phones be covered. Lockline obliges.

Cingular wants to pay half the premium, Lockiline says no, Cingular says "Screw my customers. Forget the insurance on high end phones."

I would not mind paying $5~$6 monthly premium to cover my PPC phone, instead of the general $3.99 that Cingular charges for low end phones. Such idiots. If they charge $5 across the board like Sprint then they can easily cover the high end phones.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12