Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Marc,

I know you maintain a similar feature on your forums page at your website. But, for those that frequent TC, I thought a list of any minor asthetic or other issues might be useful to have in one place. For those interested, here's my list:

1. When I tap the Folder title in the Message view and navigate through local folders with 5-way, the selected appears green. If I try to tape one with stylus, no green color? It generally selelcts the folder I was tapping, but green highlight would be a good visual confirmation.

2. Signature box that appears in new or reply emails... I know it says that this will actually appears as your "Signature" text from the prefs once it is received by the recipient. Instead, have Chatter insert the actual text of our signature. The visual confirmation is appreciated.

3. Add a "Lookup" icon directly from the new message screen instead of having to open a window (which appears to be for really long email addresses) and then tap "Lookup".

4. Add a "Forward" icon button at the bottom of the Message screen. Perhaps similar to reply and reply all icon, but arrow goes the other way.

5. Allow option for user to have title of attachments visible in Message View without selecting attachments icon. This will be a more reasonable use of screen space once small/tiny font support is added.

6. When I selected "Document" as the type of file to attach to an email and was taken to DocsToGo, a message "searching for supported files" came up and none of my documents appeared because they are all on the card (I assume). Allow attaching of documents residing on SD card.

7. Increase the size of the black box around "New" message box to allow 2 rows of white pixels above it just like there is below it. Or, just shift the word "New" down one pixel. Very nitpicky, I know ;-) But hey, if you're gonna smooth things out, why not do it ALL!

8. Add ability to view HTML in messages. The formatting is much more visually appealing when available!

9. I just tried v1.0.1 and the am/pm indicator at the top of the mailbox view screen appears to overlap with the battery indicator.

10. Allow helper applications (for file attachments) to be selected in the Preferences section of Chatter. That way the user doesn't have to pick an app to open files each time... ie; select jpegwatchlite or splashphoto from prefs as default for image files of any kind... when an image file attachment is selected, the app automatically launches and loads the file... when you click "done", you can select to save the file to RAM/SD or delete it. The same for any documents that are attached, prefs setup to have DocsToGo, etc be the default so it automatically opens when you select the attachment for loading/viewing.

11. When you select the paper clip icon to attach files to new messages, you are taken to another empty screen with a paper clip icon, which needs to be pressed again to start attaching files. If no files are currently attached (ie; no reason to see an attachments window), simply take the user to the "Select Application" screen to begin attaching files. If there are currently attachments, allow the user to stop at the attachments screen to review them, then tap another paper clip if you want to add more files.

12. When attaching files in the "Select Application" screen, the functions of left and right push are reversed. Pushing right moves cursor left and pushing left moves cursor right. Reverse these to allow cursor movement to correspond with nav pad movement.

13. Enhance "Sleep" function to allow different Chatter sleep time schedule for every day of the week.

14. In the time display at top of screen, the character that is supposed to be a colon between hour and minutes is an exclamation. Change to a colon... 12!34 --> 12:34.

15. User-defined "QSync" times for each day of the week. Essentially a customizable schedule for any configuration of days.

Edited: added requests from 98GSR.

16. While composing a message, if you are sending to several recipients (5-ish or more in the To: field) and you save the message to Drafts, the address field will be truncated and some of the addresses on the end will be lost. When an email is sent, the To: field is ok - it only happens when saving the message locally.

17. The above also happens in the Treo.Sent folder - the to: field will be truncated after the message was sent - even though the actual message and all recipients made it out ok.

18. The Copy/Paste commands from the keyboard do not seem to work while in the To:/CC:/BCC: lookup window "To: (Use comma to seperate) ". Hitting the menu bar and then selecting Copy or Paste with the stylus works, but not when hitting menu then C or menu then P (just C or P are typed on the screen).

19. The alerts list is not updated when a new alert is added to the Treo. Even after shutting down chatter the list is not updating. A soft reset to the Treo will update the alerts list in Chatter. I'm not sure if this is a PalmOS problem or what.

Please add to the list!
    Last edited by talkin73; 02/15/2005 at 06:53 PM.
    2. Signature box that appears in new or reply emails... I know it says that this will actually appears as your "Signature" text from the prefs once it is received by the recipient. Instead, have Chatter insert the actual text of our signature. The visual confirmation is appreciated.

Agreed. This feature is so annoying that my habit is using ClipPro to insert the sig myself. Cumbersome, yes, but for business communications, I need to be sure it is going out as intended, so I want that visual confirmation.
    The problem with the signature, as I understand it, is that Chatter allows you to change the sending mailbox (using the pulldown in the bottom-right of the draft screen) right up until you hit "send" -- and since the sig can be set on a mailbox-by-mailbox basis, there's really no way know which signature you're going to use until you actually send the message. That's why Chatter uses a [--Signature--] placeholder.... when you send the email, it gets replaced by the corresponding signature from the sending mailbox. Make sense?
    Last edited by jberman; 02/13/2005 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    Thanks for that list, talkin'. I really appreciate your taking the time to put that together.

And jberman is right about the signature; it's a placeholder because it can be changed up until the last moment. I wouldn't argue that the current way of doing things is "best", but I haven't gotten around to finding a better one yet...

Marc
    jberman,

Thanks for your explanation of what's happening in the background. Given that benefit, I have no problem continuing with my personal work-around. Greater good and all that.
  6.    #6  
    Marc, no problem. I imagine it can be a pain monitoring all the feedback in all the threads that get started. I may be adding to the chaos but was hoping this thread might generate focused response on the area of enhancements and fixes.

About the signature... that does make sense and seems more like a feature than a limitation. Perhaps an enhancement for the future would be to auto-insert the signature of whichever mailbox is currently selected. If you change it right before send, the signature would automatically change. This is in keeping with the idea of visual feedback/confirmation for the user.
  7.    #7  
    Bump... I edited my first post and added a few to the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    About the signature... Perhaps an enhancement for the future would be to auto-insert the signature of whichever mailbox is currently selected. If you change it right before send, the signature would automatically change.
    Hmmm... I wonder how that could be implemented... it would no doubt require a little legerdemain.

14. In the time display at top of screen, the character that is supposed to be a colon between hour and minutes is an exclamation. Change to a colon... 12!34 --> 12:34.
    This means you have logging turned on. You should go into the console (in the Pref menu) and type "log" (no quotes) to turn off logging, then enter the console command "clearlog" ..... quick, before your Treo runs out of memory!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman
    Hmmm... I wonder how that could be implemented... it would no doubt require a little legerdemain.

This means you have logging turned on. You should go into the console (in the Pref menu) and type "log" (no quotes) to turn off logging, then enter the console command "clearlog" ..... quick, before your Treo runs out of memory!
    Oops! I didn't see that in the manual anywhere Yes, a review of my free memory shows a log in excess of 1MB. Yowzah! Thanks for the tip.

Perhaps I need to change the title of this thread to "simple things I just couldn't figure out" Well, hopefully some of the issues mentioned will be beneficial enhancements...
    Oops! I didn't see that in the manual anywhere Yes, a review of my free memory shows a log in excess of 1MB. Yowzah! Thanks for the tip.
    Watch this one. I had regular problems leaving logging on overnight where my Treo would go into a reset loop because I did not have enough free memory. The log file had grown to exceed 4MB, leaving less than 100k free!
    Here's my list if you want to add it to yours:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=72596
    marc, how about making the "move deleted items to...folder" work ONLY when actually deleting a message. right now, if I move a message to a different folder the same message gets copied to my trash folder. not really necessary as a precaution against accidental deletions.
    -- berto
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by 98GSR
    Here's my list if you want to add it to yours:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=72596
    Done. Mods, please consider making this a sticky as an official "modification requests" thread. Thanks.
    I'll add one I've mentioned before and feel is VERY critical: right now when a message comes in or if you've deleted one using "d", the highlighted position stays in the same position on the screen - but it SHOULD stay on the highlighted message. I've accidentally selected the wrong message after deleting one or an incoming message bumping the intended message. I must have deleted (using "d") over 20 mails accidentally as a result of this behaviour.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    I'll add one I've mentioned before and feel is VERY critical: right now when a message comes in or if you've deleted one using "d", the highlighted position stays in the same position on the screen - but it SHOULD stay on the highlighted message. I've accidentally selected the wrong message after deleting one or an incoming message bumping the intended message. I must have deleted (using "d") over 20 mails accidentally as a result of this behaviour.
    I'm trying to understand this better... when I'm in message view and tap "d" on a message, it goes grey (indicating about to be deleted) then disappears. The cursor remains in the same position... effectively selecting the message below it which has moved up one on the screen to take the place of the deleted message. This seems like intuitive behavior. Is something different happening for you?
  16.    #16  
    Another request, as I think Marc is reading most of these threads... The movement of the nav pad on the Edit MaiBox -> Delivery screen is somewhat non-intuitive to me. I discovered today that moving left/right is actually easier and more reliable in moving the cursor. But, it would be nice if up/down actually did those movements. For example, if you are in the "Body Structure" box to the right of the "OK", you have to tap right to get to the "OK" instead of left which is the relative position of the button. Not a huge issue, but I tend to think of navigating up and down the page or side to side based on how it appears visually. Generally, that screen won't get used too much, but the other 2 screens seem well integrated with nav pad function by comparison.
  17.    #17  
    Currently, Sleep times supercedes QSync in Chatter. I think it should be the other way around. The way it is currently, if Chatter is "sleeping", the only way to quickly get your mail is to go to prefs, turn off sleep, close, select QSync, get mail, open prefs, turn on sleep, close. To my way of thinking, the purpose of QSync is to allow you to get mail quickly at times when you wouldn't ordinarily have anticipated.

Ex: You have QSync set to every 180 minutes, but someone just called and said they sent you something OR it's in the evening and you have Chatter set to be asleep... in both cases, a simple QSync would be an easy solution. But, having to mess with Sleep prefs seems excessive. I guess I just can't think of a time that I would need QSync to be disabled while Chatter is asleep...???

Is this an implementation issue (ie; can't be done)? Anybody else have thoughts on this?
    I'm trying to understand this better... when I'm in message view and tap "d" on a message, it goes grey (indicating about to be deleted) then disappears. The cursor remains in the same position... effectively selecting the message below it which has moved up one on the screen to take the place of the deleted message. This seems like intuitive behavior. Is something different happening for you?
    If you select "d", the message turns grey. What happens after that though is if you scroll to a specific message which you intend to select or delete (using d), when the message you just deleted actually gets cleared from the screen - your highlighted message is no longer the one you had initially moved to - it moves down one (the highlighted position is the same location on the screen). The flip side is if you have highlighted in preparation of selecting a message, and a message comes in, your highlighted message moves up one (again staying in the same location on the screen).

This is SO annoying because sometimes it takes 2secs to clear from the screen, sometimes much longer, so either you wait for it to clear, or you "take a chance". I've deleted at least 20 emails accidentally because either it cleared just a split second before I hit "d" on the intended message or a message comes in an bounces the order just a split second before I hit "d". Keep in mind I get >100 emails a day, sometimes closer to 200...
    airjoe - I'll look at that. I get 100+ emails a day (as you can imagine), but it hasn't been a problem for me at all; I wonder how we're working differently... Nonetheless, I'll try to fix this.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    airjoe - I'll look at that. I get 100+ emails a day (as you can imagine), but it hasn't been a problem for me at all; I wonder how we're working differently... Nonetheless, I'll try to fix this.

Marc
    Thanks Marc, I know I've mentioned it repeatedly to you (sorry). I'm not sure how it couldn't affect someone if they are about to select an email and another comes in just before they select - the wrong email will be selected. It happens to me 1-2 times a day. I use the d button to delete emails a lot, especially if I'm at my desk and using my PC for mail...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast