1.    #1  
    I'm about to get my samsung i500 replaced with a refurbished 650. The rep (sprint pcs) who I'm dealing with tells me that according to the warehouse I'd only be getting the phone with one battery , no stylus, and that's pretty much it. I am wondering if it's worth the exchange? Thanks in advance for any input.
    I replaced my i500 with a Treo 650, and I'm very happy. I paid $650 (incl. tax) less an as-yet-unrealized $150 rebate, though. If you're getting the Treo, refurbished or not (how old could it be?) as a straight swap, I'd say you have a great deal. You could spend $200 on accessories and still be ahead of the game.
  3.    #3  
    Well here's the deal I'm being offered. I can get my i500 replaced with a brand new 650 for $200, or I can get a refurb for free. I searched around and figured I'd have to shed out a little over a $100 to get a cradle/charger, an extra battery (unlike i500 it seems like a new 650 won't be coming with one), and a headset. So I'm leaning towards the refurb (650s are quite recent so I doubt it's gonna be very old) as we speak. This way I can even invest in perhaps a better headset (i.e. wireless), or more memory for mp3s. Does Treo have Ezl text input like i500?
    Thank you for the help.
    I would take the refurb. Will you have a warranty on it?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    its all about the warranty or insurance..new = 1 yr. refurb = 6 months
    if you have the insurance than i suspect its not as big an issue
    They were gonna give me a refurb replace the 650 I made them give me a new unit. But to let you know the refurb comes with everything. NO MISSING PARTS. Also every exchange i had made(all 4 of them) they kept the extra chargers and such. They should have some in the back. I would try another sprint store. I think they are screwing you. thats just my $0.02
    My "return" ( I guess its not a refurb ) is the best unit I've had so far (out of 4 Treos).
    Quote Originally Posted by raptura
    Well here's the deal I'm being offered. I can get my i500 replaced with a brand new 650 for $200, or I can get a refurb for free. I searched around and figured I'd have to shed out a little over a $100 to get a cradle/charger, an extra battery (unlike i500 it seems like a new 650 won't be coming with one), and a headset. So I'm leaning towards the refurb (650s are quite recent so I doubt it's gonna be very old) as we speak. This way I can even invest in perhaps a better headset (i.e. wireless), or more memory for mp3s. Does Treo have Ezl text input like i500?
    Thank you for the help.
    I'm not sure what "Ezl text input" is. The Treo has no Grafitti input. There may be some third-party applications where you can add it, but I haven't seen any of them mentioned in the forums here. Text input is either via the keyboard or by tapping on the onscreen virtual keyboard. I was a fairly adept Grafitti user, having carried a Palm or some variant around with me since 1997 or so (my first one actually said "PalmPilot" on it), and I can enter text faster with the Treo keyboard, one-handed, than I could with Grafitti.

The refurb unit is likely to have been tested more thoroughly than a new one coming off of the assembly line. The Treos have only been out for a few weeks, so it's just not possible to get one that has been used very much. As long as they will give it a warranty, I'd go for the refurb.

As for accessories, I think you're looking at the following purchases, with the accompanying caveats:

1. Bluetooth headset (you can get a Scala 500 for about $35)
    2. Carrying case (the Treo package includes no case whatsoever)
    3. SD card. There's none included. eCost has a special today for a 1GB card for $66 after mail-in rebate. You might as well get the biggest one you can.
    4. Car charger - if you drive a lot and need that capability.
    5. USB sync/charger cable. The Treo comes with a wall charger and an USB sync cable that work independently. I'm not too sure why they didn't just incorporate the charge/sync functions into one cable. If you get the charge/sync cable, you' won't be tied to a wall outlet and you can charge and sync the Treo from your laptop while traveling (a big deal for me). With the addition of Shadowmite's ROM modification or 3rd party SW like PDANet, you can also use the Treo as a wireless modem for your laptop (also a big deal for me).
    6. Combo headphones/headset: you can't use Bluetooth to listen to MP3s. You can use a standard set of stereo headphones, but you'll need a 2.5mm adapter, as the Treo's headphone jack is not a standard size. If you want to be able to answer the phone easily while listening to MP3s or audiobooks, you'll want a combo headset. TreoCentral has them for about $40. I listen to audiobooks while I'm walking for exercise, and I like to be able to answer the phone if it rings without having to scramble to disconnect things.

My calculations say that you'll spend about $200 +/- if you bought all of these things, plus shipping and taxes. $200 for a fully outfitted Treo? I can't see how you can go wrong.

Besides, assuming that they don't physically take your i500, you can sell it on eBay. I sold mine this last week for $230 with the accessories I had purchased for it.
  9.    #9  
    [QUOTE=copwriter]I'm not sure what "Ezl text input" is. The Treo has no Grafitti input. There may be some third-party applications where you can add it, but I haven't seen any of them mentioned in the forums here. Text input is either via the keyboard or by tapping on the onscreen virtual keyboard. I was a fairly adept Grafitti user, having carried a Palm or some variant around with me since 1997 or so (my first one actually said "PalmPilot" on it), and I can enter text faster with the Treo keyboard, one-handed, than I could with Grafitti.

The refurb unit is likely to have been tested more thoroughly than a new one coming off of the assembly line. The Treos have only been out for a few weeks, so it's just not possible to get one that has been used very much. As long as they will give it a warranty, I'd go for the refurb.

As for accessories, I think you're looking at the following purchases, with the accompanying caveats:

1. Bluetooth headset (you can get a Scala 500 for about $35)
    2. Car.....

Sorry I meant Ezi (easy) text on i500, something I preferred over the Grafitti input. But with the keyboard on the 650, I'm not gonna miss the Ezi text entry option.
    As far I know, the refurbs come with the manufacturer's warranty. But I'm not that concerned about that since I've always had the equipment replacement plan on all my smartphones.
    Thanks for the info on the combo headset. I did not know bluetooth didn't have that capability. That saves me from doing more research on headsets.
    As far as my i500, it's going back to Sprint and they're paying me something like $240-50. I am assuming that's how much a refurbished 650 would cost; hence the even trade.