Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I scoured the forums and it seems that my only way to fix this is to return the device to the Sprint store. Before I do, I want to ask if there is any other way. Here is my problem...

I lost sound from the internal speaker on my Treo 650 after I plugged in my headphones to listen to music. The first time it happened I got sound back after a couple of days but it's been over a week and I still can't get any sound from the internal speaker when playing music or games. I saw suggestions in other threads saying to jiggle the headphone plug, but I've tried that and it hasn't worked.

I can still get sound on games and music with headphones. I am using a 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm plug from the PalmOne store to use my headphones. Thanks in advance.
    Check ringer switch is on. Then check system volume; I've had it randomly change from what's indicated. After that, it's likely a hardware error.

Tom
    I used to have this problem with my 600, but haven't encountered it yet on my 650. Here's what I did to resolve it: go to RadioShack and buy/ask to use one of their 3/32" stereo adapters (adapter only-not a headset). Plug it into the phone, and your speaker should come back on. I think.
    I had the same problem. I had to return to the sprint store to fix. the new phone works great.
    Funny thing....
    I had the same problem, my Trio works fine as handset, but no ringtones, game tones from solitaire, no music from real player, FROM SPEAKER.
    I mainly use the hybrid stereo headset ( the "original" one from here at TreoCentral with the button for answering calls), and ALL sounds, rings and music work fine. So I did what I always do when the Treo 650 doesn't cooperate, I scoured the Treo Central forums for an answer while on hold to sprint for 38 minutes. After not finding much help here, and doing the reset tango with Sprint tech support, I was ready to go to the Sprint store for a exchange when I found a suggestion in a message here to "blow into the speaker jack". While I don't think I could blow hard enough to dislodge anything, I do have a can of compressed "air" for cleaning the keyboard, so I tried that.
    I started up an MP3 which should have been playing through the speaker, and squirted air into the headphone jack.
    Result... nothing.
    Squirted air into the area around speaker on-off switch while moving it back and forth.
    Result... nothing.
    Squirted air into the actual speaker on the back of the phone (not too close).
    Result... MUSIC!

Compressed air blown directly at the speaker with the nozzle about 3 inches away fixed the problem!. Pretty weird solution. Was there lint or a metal shard shorting the speaker? I don't know, although the speaker does seem excessively magnetic compared to other small speakers I have seen. Be careful you don't blast the speaker to pieces if you try this.
    Your mileage may vary.
    I had the same problem. I thought my SoundRec had stopped working. What was really happening is that playback thru the speaker (on the back of the phone) would not work. Tried Realplayer it to was silent, but the phone would ring! I tried the air spray in the jack and it worked! Jacks like that have a switch (normally closed) which opens when you insert a jack into it. I suspect that this is actually connected to some sort of input port to allow software to query the status (plugged in or not). If this switch sticks open then the software routines that check it will report that. This would account for the fact that the ringtones will still play (even using the Sound prefs) but the other programs which use the sound output will not.

I think this is a mechanical problem and, as such, is likely to recur. I will probably return the phone when it happens again.

Hunter
    I have the same issue. I think the headset jack is shorting the external speaker. I use a wired headset a lot, so I'm constantly plugging and unplugging a headset.

Funny thing is, my ringers and alerts are still audible....but I can't play music or hear system sounds (clicking when pressing buttons, etc) thru the external speaker.

I have found that jiggling the plug when inserted will sometimes help. Also, yanking it out rapidly seems to work too. Try it while playing an MP3...as the audio is playing thru the headset, yank the cord out and see if the audio plays thru the external speaker.

Bad design, IMO. I'll be getting a replacement next week.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Also, yanking it out rapidly seems to work too.
    I just experienced this problem for the second time this morning. Yanking out my Radio Shack adapter fixed the problem. Thanks.
    I had a similar problem where my speaker stopped functioning after I had pulled out the mini headset to regular headphone jack converter (TreoCentral variety). Yanking the plug didn't work, but interestingly enough plugging both the sync cable (first) and the headphone converter (second) at the same time did. There wasn't enough room for both and I had to push the headphone converter to get it plugged in. But I think the added pressure loosened whatever had been stuck.

Good luck!
    Hello fellow owners of mute Treo 650s. My above post about blowing air into the speaker only provided a temporary fix. I returned the Treo 650 to a Sprint store, and they ordered a replacement. I picked it up yesterday, and so far it is fine. (I did not get the whole box of stuff with it, so I am now out a screen protector).
    This problem seems to me to be a hardware design fault of their headset jack and speaker. I guess we just return them when they go bad until PalmOne decides to manufacture better equipment. Be sure to get the Sprint replacement plan.
    Yeah I have this problem too intermittently. Really annoying. plugging and unplugging the earset sometimes works and sometimes not work to restore the speaker output for Ptunes and speakerphone. Strange thing is that alarm sounds still work which lead me to believe it is not a harware problem with the ear phone connector on the treo but rather software issues with external device detection.
    i never used the headphone with my treo600 at all. and still:

i couldn't get any sound out of the speakers when i was calling someone.
    i made a HR, nothing. then i tried to switch the on-off-modus and: wow, it works again. but for howlong?

i wonder if i should return the phone now (no sound when phoning through speakers isn't normal) to amazon (and wait for the treo 650 to be released in germany where obviously the same thing can happen) or if i should give it (treo 600 at home) another chance.

i already wrote the mail to amazon.
  13.    #13  
    Blowing on the speaker and in the headphone jack hole while the sound was off has gotten my sound back temporarily. I know I should just return the darn thing but I am lazy. Gonna hope that this solves it.
    The contact in the attached pic MUST be closed when the adapter jack is removed.
    The spring strength of these is very weak.
    Therefore ANY dirt/dust will prevent contact.

Getting your Treo opened ?
    another entire set of pictures.
    And only for the micro-mechanically inclined.

Feel free to e-mail me if you really want to try this.
    I've done it to three of them now. And they ALL have got the same 'catch' when trying to get them apart.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillacman
    The contact in the attached pic MUST be closed when the adapter jack is removed.
    The spring strength of these is very weak.
    Therefore ANY dirt/dust will prevent contact.

Getting your Treo opened ?
    another entire set of pictures.
    And only for the micro-mechanically inclined.

Feel free to e-mail me if you really want to try this.
    I've done it to three of them now. And they ALL have got the same 'catch' when trying to get them apart.
    Caddyman,

Nice pic, but I am not sure it is my problem ...

Maybe there are two different problem scenarios in this thread....

For me, the problem is with Realplayer and Soundrec and whatever media player the 650 which do not play through the speaker anymore. I know for sure Relaplayer did at one time play through the speaker even though the volume was very low. But the phone app definitely works.

Also, as someone else mentioned, the alarm seems to work as does the ringer .

I can pull my headphone in and out during a call and the speaker option comes and goes from the dissplay and the speker is turned on and off. I think this is evidence the contact is opening and closing.

I wonder if the problem I am having is a reult of loading soundrec?

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    I have the same issue. I think the headset jack is shorting the external speaker. I use a wired headset a lot, so I'm constantly plugging and unplugging a headset.

Funny thing is, my ringers and alerts are still audible....but I can't play music or hear system sounds (clicking when pressing buttons, etc) thru the external speaker.

I have found that jiggling the plug when inserted will sometimes help. Also, yanking it out rapidly seems to work too. Try it while playing an MP3...as the audio is playing thru the headset, yank the cord out and see if the audio plays thru the external speaker.

Bad design, IMO. I'll be getting a replacement next week.
    I have the exact same problem as the above post. It is because I use the headphone jack all the time and now it seems to have come "loose". I can get it to work but jiggling the connector around. I have always treated my Treo like it is Nitro-Glycerine ready to go off at any time.

In order for Sprint to fix it, do I have to have their insurance?

Also, I wonder if this will just happen again with a new Treo. I use the headphone jack everyday and unplug it at least four times a day.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I exchanged my first treo for this problem back in the middle of January, and my third treo just started doing this today!!!! It is not quite 2 months old, and its already died again! This is BS! I am tired of taking this thing back to the sprint store!!!
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    My jack finally broke. I took it back on Friday for an examination and I'm waiting for a replacement. Really disappointing.
    Last edited by aldamon; 03/22/2005 at 09:22 PM.
    The air blast worked for me this time. Anybody had lasting success with this, or am I just delaying the inevitible?
    BC
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I think delaying, unless you can live with the jack only working some of the time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast