Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

    Man, it's been a long time since I've used a Palm OS (5 years ago) and was wondering if someone could tell me how to set HotSync to sync my T650 with Apple's Address Book application? Many thanks.
  2. #2  
    I know you have to get the iSync conduit from Apple.

    I don't have mine yet, so I haven't gotten the software. I'm sure someone here has the link for you.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
  3. #3  
    You can grab the conduit from http://www.apple.com/isync/download. Just look on the right side of the page.
  4.    #4  
    Ah, I didn't know I had to download a conduit - thought iSync would auto-detect HotSync. Thanks, fellas.

    Hopefully, I won't have to post back b/c I'll get it to work.
  5. #5  
    One other note is that you'll have to disable the Contacts and Address consuits in order to use HotSync. It means that your Palm Desktop software won't be synced with the Treo, but in my opinion it's worth it to be able to keep the Apple address book. Only problem is the categories don't sync when using Apple's address book.

    It is very similar with iCal. If you use iCal with iSync, you have to disable the Calendar and ToDo conduits in HotSync.

    This is my first post so I have to say thank you to TreoCentral and Shadowmite for allowing me to post from the airport with Bluetooth DUN.
  6. #6  
    When syncing the 650 with my powerbook, at first i used the hotsync software that came on the P1 cd along with the palm conduit from Apple. It worked, but would occasionally lock up transferring contacts so I got a copy of Missing Sync. It works great. Haven't had any problems since.
  7. #7  
    I use missing sync on my powerbook, and love syncing wirelessly using bluetooth. I find I like ical much more than regular palm desktop's calendar as well.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah, I think I'm just gonna get MissingSync...I used that with my BlackBerry and it worked perfectly. Thanks for all of the replies.
  9. #9  
    I use missing sync with the T600 - soon to be 650. I HATE though the categories are not synching... I wish they would fix this....

    Mike
  10. #10  
    Even if you use Missing Sync, you have to download the iSync conduit. If you are only interested in synching with iCal and AddressBook, Missing Sync doesn't add any functionality (though it does for other functions).

    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    Yeah, I think I'm just gonna get MissingSync...I used that with my BlackBerry and it worked perfectly. Thanks for all of the replies.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Even if you use Missing Sync, you have to download the iSync conduit. If you are only interested in synching with iCal and AddressBook, Missing Sync doesn't add any functionality (though it does for other functions).
    Very good to know b/c all I want to do is sync with AddressBook so I don't have to enter all of my contacts manually into the Treo. I'll just download the iSync conduit and if that works, I'll leave it at that. If I need something more, I'll buy Missing Sync. Again, thanks for the continued replies.
  12. #12  
    Someone in a previous thread a few days ago stated that the photos in the address book would transfer to the treo and then be used for caller id. I just got my treo 650 yesterday, did my frst sync using iSync, bu no photos came across. Does anyone know if this actually works at all or if there's some trick to making it happen. I tried searching for that post but couldn't find it.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by L.A.User
    Someone in a previous thread a few days ago stated that the photos in the address book would transfer to the treo and then be used for caller id. I just got my treo 650 yesterday, did my frst sync using iSync, bu no photos came across. Does anyone know if this actually works at all or if there's some trick to making it happen. I tried searching for that post but couldn't find it.


    that would be news to me. apple doesn't update the isync page but so often, but it would really help if people would just read it. what syncs with certain devices and phones is pretty well spelled out.

    http://www.apple.com/isync/devices.html
  14. #14  
    No, absolutely not. If you look at the Apple iSync webpage you will see that photos are only synched to Symbian OS devices, no others.

    Things you don't get from iSync:
    - Photos not transferred (either direction)
    - Address only transferred is they are the "home" address. If marked in AddressBook as "work" address THEY WILL NOT BE TRANSFERRED. You will have to change them in AddressBook to make they sync.
    - No categories. The groups in AddressBook are not categories (since one address can be in multiple groups unlike on the Treo). This also applies to iCal.

    Having said this I still use it. You can set photos and categories on the Treo and they remain after synching. Also keep in mind that lots of the new features in the Treo are Treo specific (such as photos). The iSync palm conduit is a generic conduit that has been around for long time and doesn't take advantage (and likely won't) of the new Treo specific features. For setting photos, I take thumbnails from the Mac (I read somewhere that the photos on the Treo are 144x144 native size) and synch them to an SD card under a PhotoIDs category (the Palm software creates a ~/Pictures/palmOne Photos directory that it synchs photos up with). Then it's easier to add the photos when you edit the contact on the Treo.

    Quote Originally Posted by L.A.User
    Someone in a previous thread a few days ago stated that the photos in the address book would transfer to the treo and then be used for caller id. I just got my treo 650 yesterday, did my frst sync using iSync, bu no photos came across. Does anyone know if this actually works at all or if there's some trick to making it happen. I tried searching for that post but couldn't find it.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  15. #15  
    Thanks bcaslis for the info and the tips. Thanks atnight for the web page link. No thanks for the attitude.
    Bcaslis, I looked into the heads up on the addressbook issue and it seems that it is unpredictable. At least one work address transfered over to my treo, altough it did not have a "work" heading in the treo. Actually no heading was listed at all. I noticed that several addresses listed as "home" in address book now say "work" in my treo 650. I guess that the conduit is pretty buggy. I wonder if any of the hackers would take a crack at creating a new up to date one. I'd be willing to pay into a paypal account for that.

    Most of my info is originally from a Treo 180. That is where address book pulled 90% of it's info from. I think I might try deleting my current contacts on my 650 and beaming them from my 180, so that I can get the correct categorization.
  16. #16  
    No, it's 100% predictable. Any address transferred through iSync into the Treo will show as "work". But it will only transfer if it was "home" in the AddressBook. I don't know of any way to get no title for the address. All mine are either work, home, or other (in the AddressBook). Any address that came into the Treo other than iSync might or might not have a title. But if it came through iSync, it will show as "work".

    I've been using iSync with a Palm device since it first came out. It's very solid, but it does have some deficiencies.

    Quote Originally Posted by L.A.User
    Thanks bcaslis for the info and the tips. Thanks atnight for the web page link. No thanks for the attitude.
    Bcaslis, I looked into the heads up on the addressbook issue and it seems that it is unpredictable. At least one work address transfered over to my treo, altough it did not have a "work" heading in the treo. Actually no heading was listed at all. I noticed that several addresses listed as "home" in address book now say "work" in my treo 650. I guess that the conduit is pretty buggy. I wonder if any of the hackers would take a crack at creating a new up to date one. I'd be willing to pay into a paypal account for that.

    Most of my info is originally from a Treo 180. That is where address book pulled 90% of it's info from. I think I might try deleting my current contacts on my 650 and beaming them from my 180, so that I can get the correct categorization.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    No, it's 100% predictable. Any address transferred through iSync into the Treo will show as "work". But it will only transfer if it was "home" in the AddressBook. I don't know of any way to get no title for the address. All mine are either work, home, or other (in the AddressBook). Any address that came into the Treo other than iSync might or might not have a title. But if it came through iSync, it will show as "work".

    I've been using iSync with a Palm device since it first came out. It's very solid, but it does have some deficiencies.
    I assume these address book issues aren't solved my "The Missing Sync" or does anyone know if it does a better job of mapping things between the 650 and Apple's address book. Mostly I'm very happy. I bluetooth sync with my Powerbook and all is well. I also sync with my Thinkpad and my desktop pc at work and I'm not getting duplicates or anything, but my one minor complaint is weird mappings. Recently it took a work address and put it in my Apple Address Book as Home and my Apple Address lost the home address altogether. So would the "The Missing Sync" help me with this?
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers

Posting Permissions