1. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    The whole situation with the Cingular data plans, and indeed the way PalmOne has handled the whole GSM launch, has made me pretty angry. Here I was, waiting for months for the GSM version of the 650, and it has finally been launched. And so I think "OK - my contract's up with TMobile, and the voice and data combo with Cingular costs about the same, so I may as well give Cingular a try", and I put in my order the first day I can (and I get a developer discount, because I've been a part of the development program for 5 years or so).

And then I find out that even though the 650's been launched, most devices aren't actually shipping for 2 weeks. So I think "OK, I've waited a few months anyway, a few weeks won't matter." And I wait a few days.

And then I find out that Cingular's getting rid of the $20 data plan, and that if I need unlimited internet access from my phone I'll need to pay for the $25 a month data plan, and if I also need some text messages because Cingular charges for even incoming ones, then that'll cost more too. And it looks like even though PalmOne and others are - even right now - selling the phone with the $20 data plan, Cingular never intended that plan to be used with the 650 (yes some people are doing it, but who can be sure that they won't cut that off somehow), and never offered it outright to people purchasing the 650 on their site, adn think that it's strange. Sure, it could be a miscommunication, but it seems like a pretty bad one.

And I also see that the price that Cingular is offering the 650 for is (after rebate) the same as the special price I got with the developer discount. And I see that even though PalmOne mentions a 1 year agreement with Cingular (in the page that discusses the different plans), Cingular does not seem to offer 1 year contracts, which leads me to believe that people purchasing the 650 through PalmOne may be stuck with a 2 year contract that they did not anticipate.

And I also see that though the memory issue has not been fixed, people's orders for the free sd card are being cancelled. A 128K card isn't that great - everyone will probably end up getting another anyway - but if they've very publicly offered them to ease the pain of their users who are running out of memory, then they should at least deliver on them.

I believe that if I had gone with my original order, then I would have ended up with either a (very expensive) pay per use plan or a more expensive than anticipated unlimited plan, and I would not have found out about until either my no penalty cancellation period was up if I was unlucky, or until after I would have ported my old number if I was lucky. And Palm has also raised the price of the unlocked 650 and cut off the developer discount, so I'd have to pay almost twice as much for an unlocked phone as I did for the Cingular one to end up with a phone that I can use if I want to keep a $20 data plan with TMobile.

I've been an ardent Palm supporter for many years, because their devices just worked even if they were somewhat limited, and because Palm treated its customers well, but this makes me wonder if I want to stick with Palm at all, rather than one of the alternatives. As I've said, this may all be a miscommunication between PalmOne and Cingular, but even if it is this sort of screwup is not acceptable to customers The only thing that will make PalmOne ensure that this does not happen again is if they see that it hurts their bottom line, that people stop buying thier products.

The point is that if the phones had actually been available, and if the plans online at PalmOne were actually the ones that Cingular offered, then it would have been OK - I would have just ordered the unlocked one on day 1 rather than the Cingular. But I should not have to put up with not even knowing if I was going to end up with a plan that I wouldn't keep (and deal with having to port my number back to TMobile afterwards or some other hassles), and that PalmOne should be providing clear communication to it's customers about what's going on.
    Last edited by gw1; 02/11/2005 at 01:53 PM.
    Wow that's a difficult read. Try using paragraphs next time.
    Good points, I feel I'm in the same boat- TMO contract expired, 180 user (it still works, just barely) and I'm dying for a GSM T650. However, I can't feel justified in buying from Cingular under the guise of very vague contracts. I got three different answers from three different sources on their $19.99 Mediaworks plan (unlimited on P1, 3MB on Cingular, and not even possible to even buy it with a T650 at the Cingular store). To me, that's confusion beyond reasonable doubt and who's to say that Cingular won't screw all the planholders down the road?

When I was with AT&T it took 4 attempts (once each month when I got my bill) to get their billing issues fixed- no fault of mine, the salesdroid Manager screwed up my initial signup and continually kept screwing up trying to fix it until she finally got fired. Each time, it took time and effort on my part. Downside is that customer support over the phone wouldn't do anything, I had to go back to the store. I would expect to see the same crappy service again based on the track record, and I'm not interested in repeating that process.

I'm stuck to either get an unlocked one (now raised $100 in price, thanks P1! Not!) and pay thru the nose or just wait until TMO has their release. I surely hope TMO has their **** in a group if or when they do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gateslinger
    Good points, I feel I'm in the same boat- TMO contract expired, 180 user (it still works, just barely) and I'm dying for a GSM T650. However, I can't feel justified in buying from Cingular under the guise of very vague contracts. I got three different answers from three different sources on their $19.99 Mediaworks plan (unlimited on P1, 3MB on Cingular, and not even possible to even buy it with a T650 at the Cingular store). To me, that's confusion beyond reasonable doubt and who's to say that Cingular won't screw all the planholders down the road?

When I was with AT&T it took 4 attempts (once each month when I got my bill) to get their billing issues fixed- no fault of mine, the salesdroid Manager screwed up my initial signup and continually kept screwing up trying to fix it until she finally got fired. Each time, it took time and effort on my part. Downside is that customer support over the phone wouldn't do anything, I had to go back to the store. I would expect to see the same crappy service again based on the track record, and I'm not interested in repeating that process.

I'm stuck to either get an unlocked one (now raised $100 in price, thanks P1! Not!) and pay thru the nose or just wait until TMO has their release. I surely hope TMO has their **** in a group if or when they do it.
    I'm also currently with tmobile. I'm pretty much stuck with them because of the lack of competitive plans out there in comparison to what I have with them currently. I have the preferred 39.99 1000 min plan with unlimited nights/weekends. I also have the 4.99 tzones option for smtp/pop access, and the 2.99 option for 300 text messages.I'm going to try and set up a proxy server to access the all other ports under this plan, and if unsuccessful i'm going to just bite the bullet and sign up for their unlimited 19.99 data plan. I purchased my an unlocked treo from palmone for 599, but I had just sold my treo 600 on ebay for 320, so it wasn't too much of a sting to my wallet. Now i just need to get rid of the MPX220 that I have (HORRIBLE phone btw)