1.    #1  
    Bad reception on other end with Sprint Treo 650, is going to force me in to having a LONG discussion with sprint and palm. This is totally unacceptable for them to release a phone in this manner. I am a business consultant and I cannot have such poor quality technology. Since my job depends on keeping the client happy, a tinny or poor quality sound on their end will be VERY BAD.

I cannot believe sprint and palm could concieve of selling a phone with this problem?

..... So my question then goes to, if I install this patch

#1 will it toast the phone? or just place a inproper image on it? That can later be fixed at the Sprint store?

#2 are there any special considerations I need to address before installing the patch? Is this a clean wipe of the system? can I just backup the system, install the new patch, then resync with all my data in tact ?

#3 Should I just go to the sprint store itself and ask them to issue me a new phone?

#4 is there another patch that I should be looking at? that is more stable then just the voice patch?

This issue is critical to my job, that is why I am asking these questions that might have been stated before. I need to clearly understand a plan of action. (And I will definatly write a letter of complaint to sprint demanding some kind of resolution or refund if there isnt a solution)

-Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by soldier_bob
    Bad reception on other end with Sprint Treo 650, is going to force me in to having a LONG discussion with sprint and palm. This is totally unacceptable for them to release a phone in this manner. I am a business consultant and I cannot have such poor quality technology. Since my job depends on keeping the client happy, a tinny or poor quality sound on their end will be VERY BAD.

I cannot believe sprint and palm could concieve of selling a phone with this problem?

..... So my question then goes to, if I install this patch

#1 will it toast the phone? or just place a inproper image on it? That can later be fixed at the Sprint store?

#2 are there any special considerations I need to address before installing the patch? Is this a clean wipe of the system? can I just backup the system, install the new patch, then resync with all my data in tact ?

#3 Should I just go to the sprint store itself and ask them to issue me a new phone?

#4 is there another patch that I should be looking at? that is more stable then just the voice patch?

This issue is critical to my job, that is why I am asking these questions that might have been stated before. I need to clearly understand a plan of action. (And I will definatly write a letter of complaint to sprint demanding some kind of resolution or refund if there isnt a solution)

-Ben
    Hey Ben,

In response to your questions:

1) The Shadowmite ROM will not fry your phone if done correctly. Even though I've had the phone since December, I only attempted the ROM flash a few nights ago and it went very smoothly.

2) The memory flash will entail a subsequent hard reset which will wipeout everything you've installed on your phone since you got it: new apps, contacts, calendar, etc. In other words, your phone will look like it did when you first turned it on. I recommend downloading BackUpBuddy and doing a full backup on your SD card (as well as installing the BUB app on the card itself). The restoration is quick and complete.

3) You could... but from reading around these and other forums for the last three months, it seems to be hit or miss on whether that makes a difference. I installed the ROM and the quality is a good deal better according to people on the other end.

4) In installed the #3 patch and the phone has been working with no problems (outside a very occasional soft reset).

In general, the Sprint store personnel are usually useless. The best they can do is simply get you a replacement. If the quality on your phone is that bad, I suggest you try a replacement before flashing one of Shadowmite's ROMs. You might get lucky and get a phone with no issue. Personally, I just enjoy tinkering with my phone and only in extreme cases would I bother with the Sprint folks (i.e. defective keys/speakers/screen).

Hope this helps guide your decision...

-M
  3.    #3  
    Treotacular,

Yes it does. I just got back from the Sprint store and have a new Treo. I called up customer service and they said I sound ok on my phone. So I am hoping I have a good one. The people at the sprint store were basically like its policy to "void the warrentee" if one attempts rom updates. But I could always do so if I have the warentee $5/mo, which I do, and have it replaced that way. So I opted to have them look at the phone and issue me a new one.

I think it really comes down to time more then anything else.

-SB
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Does anyone (you there, Shadowmite?) really know what the "sound fix" rom does?
    It's obvious that there are some Sprint 650's that are unaffected by this sound problem. These units have the exact same software versions that the problematic ones do, so that leads me to believe that it's a hardware problem. So again, what exactly does Shadowmite's rom do?? It just doesn't make any sense that a flawed rom is to blame for poor outgoing audio - unless all Sprint 650's were affected.
  5.    #5  
    I have been wondering about this one myself.... either they are all flawed... or perhaps there is some way to corrupt the hardware??? I have been wondering if the ear bud or the coverters from cell->head phone jacks are to blame... I just got a new phone and its fine.

But then again, there could be something in the original batch (which I got) and the ones being sold now.....
    i got one a couple weeks ago and i must say i didn't have any sound problems. I installed the patch anyways lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Does anyone (you there, Shadowmite?) really know what the "sound fix" rom does?
    It's obvious that there are some Sprint 650's that are unaffected by this sound problem. These units have the exact same software versions that the problematic ones do, so that leads me to believe that it's a hardware problem. So again, what exactly does Shadowmite's rom do?? It just doesn't make any sense that a flawed rom is to blame for poor outgoing audio - unless all Sprint 650's were affected.
    I think it is the code because it seems worse while in a noisy area and the volume of the phone also seems to effect it too. I think it's code for mic and they might have just not tested it enough before release. When on speaker phone it's not as bad and while on a "crappy" connection, I can switch to my Jabra head set and the person on the other end says that I go from sounding like I am on a CB to a normal phone call.It might be the gain and or noice cancel/DSP?

I am just thinking outloud on this and really have no idea what I am talking about, I just know enough to be dangerous...LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by ImportsCRX
    i got one a couple weeks ago and i must say i didn't have any sound problems. I installed the patch anyways lol

You installed the Roaming Patch or the Sound Quality ROM re-flash?
    I'm so utterly frustrated with the sound quality. We have five 650s at my office, and all of them have terrible sound quality. I recently just put shadowmite's patch on all of them, and while the sound quality is better (especially in loud/seminoisy areas), the voice quality overall is still miles from any other phone. I find myself getting depressed when talking to my mother from my 650 to her $20 three year old Nokia block, since even something like that has much, much better voice.

In all honesty, I find myself talking a lot louder and slower with the 650 then any previous phone, since people on the other end are always saying "huh? you just broke up, i can't hear you.". Treo-to-treo is even more of a hassle then treo-to-landline. It's like the voice is being sent through an 80s synthesizer. (And all 5 of them sound like this.. it can't possibly be an isolated hardware problem)

To sum up this post: I'm really happy with the PDA part of the phone, but the 650 is the worst phone phone i've ever owned, or probably will own.
    Is there a possibility that it could be just a bad choice of microphone Palm is installing on these phones? I've swapped microphones on other phones before and there are some microphones that do sound better than other, particularly Nokias. I would try it on this phone but I heard they put a tamper seal inside which will void the Warranty if tampered with.
    my sad solution...since the shadowmite patch didn't improve anything (for me) is to get a second phone that "shares" minutes at no additional cost...i use the sanyo m700 to talk (everyone is so happy) and the treo for non talking stuff...my sprint store couldn't replicate the bad "other end" problems. I'm out of 14 warranty so I'm stuck with this pathetic period of time where I have to carry two phones...i think there are a lot of us trapped with neither sprint or p1 acknowledging anything other than its in our heads...when I mentioned its documented on this site as a serious problem. they laughed and said they always complain on the web. whatever...WE ARE STUCK...AND PALM HAPPILY DOESNT CARE...like the guy above I'm in business and this phone is a JOKE...but I LOVE its nonphone functions...letters don't help, calls don't help WE ARE TRAPPED
    Randy