Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Hello. I realize I can't dump all of my tunes to the Treo (do have a 1gb card on its way but still not enough storage). I would, however, like to put some of the songs onto the Treo. I'm sure the installed Realplayer won't handle my AAC files. Is there anything out there that will?
    Export AACs as MP3s and then move files to SD card.
    kinoma will play aac files. Not the secure aac's purchased from the itunes store but any fromyour library that may have been converted to aac.

kinoma.com
    I'm going to say it won't be able to play the iTunes store files. DRM and all that.

It would be REALLY nice for Apple to lisence their DRM schema to Palm for use in their handhelds. Apparantly, they're in bed with Motorola though.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    isn't that what I said?
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    isn't that what I said?
    Yup. 'cept I gave him a reason why.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    Just buy Missing Sync and then you can drag and drop within iTunes into your Treo seamlessly!

VERY cool
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    what they're saying, cschmelz, is that you can't play DRM'd AAC files from the iTunes store directly; you have to import/export them to play.

btw, i'd like to take this opportunity to breathe a bit of relief, after being on so many different boards throughout these years, this has got to be the most adult, civilized, helpful, and responsive board I've been on in, like, forever. Cheers!

*snif*

golly
    Here's a way to put protected AAC files on your 650 so you can play them on Real Player:
    1. Create a CD with the songs you want to put on your 650. Now they will be on a CD in AIFF format.
    2. Convert the AIFF CD songs to MP3 using a converter program. I use Sound Converter available at http://www.dekorte.com/software/osx/SoundConverter
    3. Download the MP3 files to the SD card on your 650 using your favorite sync software - I use HotSync that came with the 650 Palm Desktop.

Once they are on your SD card, Real Player knows them.

Copyright info: I am not an IP lawyer, but *** long as you don't give the MP3 files to any one you are probably OK to bypass the Apple AAC protection so that you can use them on your 650.
    I'm pretty sure you can convert AIFF fiels to MP3 files within iTunes. Just set import prefs to MP3, select song and go to convert to MP3 menu item
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    I'm pretty sure you can convert AIFF fiels to MP3 files within iTunes. Just set import prefs to MP3, select song and go to convert to MP3 menu item
    Been looking for that all morning. Bless you, bless you, bless you!
    Quote Originally Posted by cschmelz
    Just buy Missing Sync and then you can drag and drop within iTunes into your Treo seamlessly!

VERY cool
    Do I have to have a SD card to do this? I ordered one, but it hasn't arrived yet. I bought Missing Sync and can't get iTunes nor iPhoto integration. How do I get it to work??

Thanks
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    You can't convert AIFF to MP3 using iTunes if the AIFF files originated from protected AAC and those are still in your iTunes lists. iTunes like the Shadow knows!
    Quote Originally Posted by markdj
    You can't convert AIFF to MP3 using iTunes if the AIFF files originated from protected AAC and those are still in your iTunes lists. iTunes like the Shadow knows!
    I gave you bad info. You CAN do this. You have to pop the CD out and quit iTunes so that it loses the connection between the protected AAC and the CD. Then re-insert and re-execute iTunes.
    Here's a way to put protected AAC files on your 650 so you can play them on Real Player:
    1. Create a CD with the songs you want to put on your 650. Now they will be on a CD in AIFF format.
    2. Convert the AIFF CD songs to MP3 using a converter program. I use Sound Converter available at http://www.dekorte.com/software/osx/SoundConverter
    3. Download the MP3 files to the SD card on your 650 using your favorite sync software - I use HotSync that came with the 650 Palm Desktop.

Once they are on your SD card, Real Player knows them.

Copyright info: I am not an IP lawyer, but *** long as you don't give the MP3 files to any one you are probably OK to bypass the Apple AAC protection so that you can use them on your 650.
    that's WAY too much trouble. Just download LAME select the AAC file and the LAME script will make an unprotected MP3 copy.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    that's WAY too much trouble. Just download LAME select the AAC file and the LAME script will make an unprotected MP3 copy.
    I tried that, but the files don't play. Itunes and RealPlayer act like they're playing them, but nothing happens. What's going on?

here's what you can do:
    Open Toast and,

1. select the "Audio" tab on the main interface.
    2. select and drag from either iTunes, or the finder the songs you would like to convert into the empty space in the Toast interface.
    3. instead of clicking the "Burn" button, look to the bottom left and click the "export" button (which is to the right of the add+ remove- buttons...).
    4. choose a location where you would like to keep the exported files. Keep in mind, theses will be large .aiff files and are only used temporarily. I recommend creating a temporary folder on say, the desktop, and call it "tmp".

Wait for Toast to finish writing the the exported tracks and:

5. Go back to iTunes, select the import settings you want to use from the "importing" section of the preferences.
    6. This step can be done a few different ways but, i like to create a "tmp" or "import" playlist and drag from the finder the exported .aiff files.
    Note: you may want to uncheck the "copy to iTunes music folder when adding to library" button in the "Advanced" preference pane in the iTunes prefs.
    7. Select all the songs from your you want to convery and select "Convert Selection to Mp3(or whatever format you choose)" from the "Advanted" toolbar menu.

Sit. back and wait for the conversions to finish and:

8. Go into your iTunes music library and find newly created files (prolly in the same folder they game from ie: ArtistName>Album..) and sync them onto your mobile device.
    9. After all the files are onto your mobile device, i recommend cleaning up the temporary files: the temporary location you used for the conversions and the converted files from your iTunes music library.
    10. No step 10 .. just wanted to end with an even set... >=]

You can also replace the DRM protected files if you like, but keep in mind that all the artwork is removed and the new files are of lesser quality than the originals (though it really is not noticable but it ) since you have gone through and exported and re-encoded which which naturally creates a more lossy file.

hope this helps

-dw
    I tried that, but the files don't play. Itunes and RealPlayer act like they're playing them, but nothing happens. What's going on?
    I don't think LAME has been updated since the last version of iTunes. I guess Apple break's the LAME code some how. So back to the hard way until update.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast