Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I just got my 650 yesterday. After having a Nokia 6120 for the last several years it is a huge upgrade for me. One thing though that I got used to with the other phone.......

I have two off those circular magnets grouped top to bottom on my dashboard (I have an Olds Aurora with limited dash space.... I also have an XM SkyFi2 radio mounted to what looks like a cellular telephone arm mounted to the passenger side of the console which curves around to just the right of the floor mounted shifter). The magnets worked great with my old phone because I had one of the oversized Li-ion battery packs that gave me a longtime between charges and was highly attractive to the magnets which held it firm on the dashboard and allowed me to see it light up when it rang, even when I had the radio loud.

My problem is that the Treo 650 is NOT being attracted to the magnets. I was thinking of getting some of those thin metal strips that look like a stick of chewing gum and adhering it to the back, but I didn't know if the weight of the phone would cause it to let go (and since I hear horror stories about cracked screens I don't want to risk breaking the phone since they don't insure the phone).

I see that there is a new case coming out ...

http://store.treocentral.com/content.../4-23--182.htm

made out of Aircraft aluminum that might work, but if memory serves aluminum doesn't attract to magnets well either. My other solution is to get this case and try to come up with some other method of securing it to dashboard.

I haven't seen any cradles that would adhere to the dash (like some of the old handset cradles that would click the phone into place), plus my XM radio is already there to the right of my shifter so it would be difficult.

Anyone have any suggestions to deal with my problem? The wireless bluetooth headset I got removes the tangled cord problem I used to have, but I don't want the phone launching from a cupholder or the passenger seat every time I have to hit the brakes unexpectedly.
    I don't know, but a Treo 650 and magnets? Sounds dangerous...

This might be a slightly expensive solution to your problem, but it's what I currently have. Buy an 04-05 Acura TL
    What about high strength Velcro rather than magnets? Same job - no electiocal/magentic damage possibility.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csunracer
    This might be a slightly expensive solution to your problem, but it's what I currently have. Buy an 04-05 Acura TL
    Is there a free upgrade available for my Hyundai?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steelers1
    What about high strength Velcro rather than magnets? Same job - no electiocal/magentic damage possibility.
    Hmmm... Hadn't though about Velcro, that could work.

My old phone wasn't vulnerable to magnetic fields (It still works, except a recent trip to New Orleans showed me that I had to upgrade since my old phone wouldn't work down there.... evidently everyone was forced to migrate to a SIM enabled phone as my old generation of phone isn't supported there anymore.... I decided to do a 180 and get a Smartphone and the consensus seemed to be that the 650 got it right more often than any of teh alternatives)

How do you all use your 650 when driving? Keep it in a cupholder, your pocket, the passenger seat, ehat?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csunracer
    OK, I'll bite...... Why does my problem go away in an Acura?
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Bluetooth integration I'm guessing.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Ah. Just wondering.......
    I purchased the Seidio G2500... includes a windshiled suction cup mount as well as a vent mount plus the mount to slide the treo into. seem to work real nice and has a built-in speaker,
    Does the Seidio car cradle have enough "clearance" to accomodate a Treo in a silicone skin case?
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650