Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Hi. What's the difference between VersaMail and XPressMail? I'm setting up my new 650 and don't want to get headed down the wrong path. I just want to access the emails I normally retrieve on my laptop.
  2. rg1
    XPressMail is Cingular's email service. It makes your phone "like" a blackberry. It can handle multiple accounts and can push your email to you. It requires an XpressMail data plan (i think).

VersaMail is a regular mail client on your Treo. You can setup multiple accounts and have it check at regular intervals just like a typical desktop client.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Thanks!
    I was also checking out the differences between the two.
    I went to cingular website for the info about and demo but never they mention how much extra it cost.
    Here's a difference I'm grappling with:

versamail
    jpg attachments: yes
    pdf attachements: no

xpressmail
    jpg attachments: no
    pdf (text) attachments: yes

I really need to be able to handle both. Any suggestions? How about Snapper?

Also, anyone know how to save an attachment from versamail to my SD card? E.g., I can open and view a jpg, but am not finding how to save it. Thanks.
  6. rg1
    Didn't your Treo650 CD come w/ a program for PDFs? Assuming so, once installed Versamail should be able to open PDF attachments.
    The Palm OS version of Adobe Acrobat can only view pdf files that have been run through its desktop translator then synced onto the Treo. No native pdf support at all. There seem to be a couple of programs that can view text-only pdfs, but nothing seems to be able to handle graphics in pdfs in Palm OS.

Quote Originally Posted by rg1
    Didn't your Treo650 CD come w/ a program for PDFs? Assuming so, once installed Versamail should be able to open PDF attachments.
    I just started using XPress Mail with my $20 Media Works package (the old Media Works with unlimited data.) I think all they mean when they say you need to have an Xpress mail data plan first, is that you have a data plan. But the registration process didn't require me to make any changes to my existing data plan and as far as I can tell I'm not getting charged anything extra. All I did was register and before I did, the web page said to have a data plan and call them if you're not sure if you have one. The prices the list appear to be related to the data plan, not the service. I guess I'll find out for sure when I get my next bill, but if you're not sure you can always call the business connect number and ask them.

Xpress mail is pretty cool. It gets me full through-the-firewall access to exchange email and calendar, though the calendar is limited, the mail is decent.
    Personal edition works much like an IM program. You run it on your desktop PC and it creates an outbound connection to the XPress mail server. You connect to the XPress mail server from your Treo and Viola.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G