Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am interested in downloading the new Java environment that Palm posted this week. However, at almost 4 MBs, I don't know whether it is worth it. Can anyone provide any instruction on whether it is worth the space (e.g. what programs do you run with it, etc). Thanks.
    Previously on my Treo 600 I ran the Java for two programs; ReqWireless Webviewer and WorldCam Viewer. When I upgraded to the Treo 650 I installed the Treo 600 version of Java to run them both on my new Treo 650.

However, I soon found that with Blazer's improvements on the Treo 650 I no longer wanted to use ReqWireless WebViewer. Further, I decided that with the only program on my Treo using it being the WorldCam Viewer, I could do with out that and the Java.

Deleting all three saved a boatload of memory on an already constrained device. I don't miss any of them at all. Not one bit.
    If that is true Matty, I appreciate your post a lot. Can anyone confirm this?
    As a Java developer all I can say is OF COURSE JAVA IS WORTH IT! But in reality don't bother unless there are Java programs you want to run. If those programs are of value then having Java is of value.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Java is great...but i mean the only reason i need java is for javascript...buuttt blazer i believe already has that enbedded in it...and well i dont own any .jar/.jad files/programs, so i wont install it...java is great...but the native .prc is perfect for me, and the blazer has javascript already
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    Java is great...but i mean the only reason i need java is for javascript...buuttt blazer i believe already has that enbedded in it...and well i dont own any .jar/.jad files/programs, so i wont install it...java is great...but the native .prc is perfect for me, and the blazer has javascript already
    For the record Java and Javascript ARE NOT THE SAME THING. They're completely different and entirely unrelated languages. Java was invented by Sun Microsystems and meant to be used as an language for embedded systems originally. Javascript was invented by Netscape (remember Netscape), was originally called Livescript and is a script language interrupted at runtime by HTTP browers. Livescript was renamed at the last minute because of the emerging popularity of Java Applets at the time in website development. (Applets are embedded Java programs and you would need Java on your treo to use a site with an Applet although a. I don't know if Blazer supports Applets and b. Applets are increasingly rare on websites and should not be confused with Javascript.)

Okay I'm sure no one cared but I thought I'd tell everyone anyway.
    son of a dang it...i did it again...boobookins...i knew that...and well i forgot..thanks for reminding me
    Boobookins, you got the history exactly right! Javascript is typically what's required for certain security-protected sites -- like web-based Outlook -- to work correctly on the Treo.

Bill, former Javangelist for Sun
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    I realized after my post that I'm pretty sure I was wrong about one thing. The Java that installs on the Treo I believe is J2ME (Java Micro Edition) and Applets use J2SE (Java Stanard Edition) so I doubt there would be any way of using sites that have embedded Applets.

I'm glad to hear that Blazer supports Javascript.
    so to use WebViewer, what do we need to install? that stuff on palmone's site is so confusing...
    I have Java on my Treo 650 and for me at this point is useless and am thinking about deleting it. There arent much java programs I can install on this phone that are really useful to me, besides Mobitv which for now is not compatible with this phone. But until then I would much rather use that 3mb + that Java uses for other apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    I realized after my post that I'm pretty sure I was wrong about one thing. The Java that installs on the Treo I believe is J2ME (Java Micro Edition) and Applets use J2SE (Java Stanard Edition) so I doubt there would be any way of using sites that have embedded Applets.

I'm glad to hear that Blazer supports Javascript.
    That's correct, J2ME does not support J2SE apps, nor does it integrate with Blazer to allow applets. I'm a Java developer too (although I haven't done anything with J2ME). But the memory is just too precious on the Treo 650, unless something remarkably compelling comes along.
    ...ohhh, something is on the horizon...
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    want to PM me a hint??
    you already know...the thread about Beta Testing for a virtual memory tool, currently only for the T600...int he future for the T650....from the people that brought you JackFlash and JackSprat

The author quoted me " my T600 memory went from 33 % free to 95 % free"

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Oh, c'mon....Tell us! Tell us! Is it a fix from PalmOne? Is it a TREO 655 with proper amount of memory? Did somebody write a "Fantastic Voyage" program that shrinks everything? (Well, hopefully not everything...) Oh, the suspense!
    you already know...the thread about Beta Testing for a virtual memory tool, currently only for the T600...int he future for the T650....from the people that brought you JackFlash and JackSprat

So there are plans for a 650 version????

Sorry, you posted before I could finish my childish plea!

Isn't that relatively similar to PowerRun and that stuff...just "moving" the memory over to an SD card? Will programs run directly from the card (like on PPC's ) or do they have to be imported back into RAM?
    that was reported by another poster, I can see it happening, but some confllicts have to be ironed out with the NVFS of T650

that was reported by another poster, I can see it happening, but some confllicts have to be ironed out with the NVFS of T650
    ohhhhhhh
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast