1.    #1  
    Here is my delema. I am new to Palm, so this may be a simple fix I have no idea. Yesterday my IT guy at work installed Good Link on my 650 GSM so I can get my email at work on my 650. When he did it though he did a hard resest because he was having trouble getting it to instal. Now I have a new Hotsync username, and I want to get most of what was on my tro for the old username switch over to this one. Does that make sense? Can someone tell me how to do it?

Thank you.
    Treo 650 GSM
    I don't know of an easy (as in one step) way, but it's not all that difficult to do it the old fashioned way. Assuming that you use the generic Palm contacts/calendar/memo/to-do apps for your basic functions, go to your old Palm Desktop setup and export your data to the new user name. HotSync (in fact, it's best to sync after every change/installation step, just to insure against conflicts and not knowing which app caused the problem). Then browse to your Palm folder that holds your old user files. On my Windows machine, that folder is C:\Program Files\Palm\UserNameAbbreviation\Backup (substitute a version of your user name for the UserNameAbbreviation - it shouldn't be hard to identify). Move those files into the Palm Installer in logical groups (the files for most apps have similar names, like AudibleFonts.PDB, AudibleSettings.PDB, AudibleSharedLib.PDB) and install them by HotSyncing. This might take a while, but when you're done, you'll have all of your stuff from the old installtion on the new one.

One caution: some apps have their registration codes tied to your user name. Bejeweled is one of these, as I recall. Thus, if you had Bejeweled running on your old installtion with the user name HelperMonkey, it might not recognize the registration if your new user name was HelperMonkey1. Most of the software vendors I have dealt with are good about giving you a new registration code so long as you ask nicely and the new user name is obviously a variant of the old one. This is to insure against multiple installations under the same purchase.

Hope this helps.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by copwriter
    I don't know of an easy (as in one step) way, but it's not all that difficult to do it the old fashioned way. Assuming that you use the generic Palm contacts/calendar/memo/to-do apps for your basic functions, go to your old Palm Desktop setup and export your data to the new user name. HotSync (in fact, it's best to sync after every change/installation step, just to insure against conflicts and not knowing which app caused the problem). Then browse to your Palm folder that holds your old user files. On my Windows machine, that folder is C:\Program Files\Palm\UserNameAbbreviation\Backup (substitute a version of your user name for the UserNameAbbreviation - it shouldn't be hard to identify). Move those files into the Palm Installer in logical groups (the files for most apps have similar names, like AudibleFonts.PDB, AudibleSettings.PDB, AudibleSharedLib.PDB) and install them by HotSyncing. This might take a while, but when you're done, you'll have all of your stuff from the old installtion on the new one.

One caution: some apps have their registration codes tied to your user name. Bejeweled is one of these, as I recall. Thus, if you had Bejeweled running on your old installtion with the user name HelperMonkey, it might not recognize the registration if your new user name was HelperMonkey1. Most of the software vendors I have dealt with are good about giving you a new registration code so long as you ask nicely and the new user name is obviously a variant of the old one. This is to insure against multiple installations under the same purchase.

Hope this helps.
    Ok, so should I just go to the backup folder and reinstall everything? Or do I need to do something else to get my favorites buttons back, my contacts etc.?

I don't know exactly what you mean when you said " go to your old Palm Desktop setup and export your data to the new user name." Could you try and explain it again?

Thanks for the help though. I think you have me started on the right path now.
    Treo 650 GSM
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Helpermonkey - Did you get this resolved? I have a very similar issue. I had a 600 and got a new 650. My wife had a T5. She will use the 600.

I installed the T600 desktop software to her PC. My 600 has a user id of myname. Do I need to hard reset the Palm and hotsync with hername on the desktop?
  5.    #5  
    Well I am still trying to reslve it. I would suggest you just backup your data and hard reset the device and then give it her username when you hotsync it again. From my personal experience that has worked fine for me on the 650.

Hope this helps.

If anyone can help me that would be great.

My new question is: does anyone know where my calendar and Memos data is stored? I got much of my data from my other profile into my new one, but those are still blank.
    Treo 650 GSM