Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i'm debating in between the unlocked and locked version from Cingular, and I would really appreciate if somebody could play around with their phones, and let us know if it's better than the Cingular version or not. It looks like Cingular started giving out unlocking codes, so we might be able to unlock it, so I wanna find out if there are any other advantages of the unlocked version from Palm
    Thank you so much guys and have fun playing with your phone, but don't neglect your wifes or gf )
    Unless you are planning on sticking someone else's SIM in your phone (like the often quoted Europe travelers), the difference between a Cingular locked and Cingular unlocked is POINTLESS. What distinguishes a generic (palmOne) unlocked from a Cingular unlocked is that the palmOne does NOT have the Cingular software installed in ROM. Unlocking a Cingular phone will not change the software it has in it.

Now, I think that the Cingular-specific software is also pointless, and you can configure a generic unlocked to work with Cingular just fine. A generic unlocked will also have Bluetooth Dial up Networking (DUN) enabled, although Shadowmite's hack for the Cingular locked works fine.

Oh, and you pay a couple hundred extra $$$ for the priviledge of having a generic unlock.

So, if you are a SIM-swapping world traveler that hates contracts, the premium payed for a generic unlocked phone is worth it to you. If you are like the rest of us, a Cingular locked will work just fine.

My $.02.
    Unless you think you possibly may want to switch to T-Mobile ZBoater is right. In fact, I just tried the PDANet utility and with that you don't even need DUN.
  4.    #4  
    so you think that the ROM that is installed on them are the same? Same software, same apps?
    I was wondering if the unlocked one has less issues, such as sound problems etc..
    I got a new contract anyway with Cingular, so it doesn't matter for me, I won't be switching for a while.
    I bought a Cingular branded 650 and I'm very pleased with it. The improved screen and bluetooth are well worth the price of upgrading.

Of course personally 1) I don't need DUN 2) I travel overseas rarely and when I do I prefer to use my Cingular phone number 3) and since I live in a very rural part of "Cingular Country" I really have no viable alternative to Cingular.
  6.    #6  
    so, if I get the unlock code for Cingular 650, is DUN going to be enabled then?
    Quote Originally Posted by horatiub
    so you think that the ROM that is installed on them are the same? Same software, same apps?
    I was wondering if the unlocked one has less issues, such as sound problems etc..
    I got a new contract anyway with Cingular, so it doesn't matter for me, I won't be switching for a while.
    The core OS and phone app is the same. The difference is that bluetooth DUN is disabled in the Cingular version, and it comes with something called XpressMail in ROM (a Cingular branded mail solution). And, of course, the Cingular logos when you turn the phone on and off. Oh, yes, and Cingular ringtones.

Anything else I'm missing? Its all pretty useless stuff.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    No.
    No. You will need Shadowmites bluetoothmgr.prc which will enable it, or use PDANet. If you use Shadowmites prc file, remember to copy it using FileZ or some other file utility. Hotsyncing the file does not work. Once you copy it, do a soft reset and voila!!! Bluetooth DUN enable.

P.S. Thanks Shadowmite!
  10.    #10  
    sounds good, I guess I'm just gonna have to cancel my unlocked one. It has been shipped out already, so it should be here by Monday. I guess it's not worth it the extra $200. For some reason, I thought that the palm one version has different apps, and it doesn't add up useless software such as Real Player and others.

but I'm still wondering how the unlocked ones function. By Monday, I'm sure lots of people will post their experience here.
    I've got a Cingular branded 650 and i love it. No complaints at all.
  12.    #12  
    i'm still wondering if anybody else had a chance to see both phones, Cingular and unlocked GSM. Shadowmite, what do you think? unlocked or cingular? should it make a diference? other than DUN enabled. I was wondering if the unlocked one has a sound problem
    Last edited by horatiub; 02/12/2005 at 04:26 AM.
  13.    #13  
    so? has anybody had both phones? no testing yet?
    I've had the unlocked GSM since this past Thursday and love it. I haven't tried a Cingular version but I can say I've had no complaints - it rocks!

I got the unlocked version b/c I'm on T-Mobile and am in a contract (b/c I upgraded to the BlackBerry 7100t)...and, I don't want to wait for T-Mobile to release it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Kolio:

When my Treo gets here on Monday I will be using T-mobile and shelving my BB 7100t. Did your Treo work on your present T-mobile plan? Did you have to call T-mobile or change your plan at all? Anything else I need to know to make a smooth transition? Thanks!

schulzmc
    horatiub,

I can't say anything because I don't have one. Great logic!

It's like telling a immigrant, who is learning English, he/she can not speak to other English speaking Americans because they have not acquired the language yet.

You have to have a child before you have an opinion about parenting with people who have them. You have own a car before you have an opinion about it with others who have one. You have to contract HIV before you can say anything about it. You have to commit suicide before you can share your opinion.

Of course, I get it. You were reading some of the other threads and too many people who did not have 650s were offering their opinions and comments. It bothered you because they did not know what they were talking about, so you thought you'd "control" who speaks.

Give some thought to your "process" -- it's selfish. Even when people don't know what they are talking about - they should not be excluded from the dialogue. That's how people learn.
    Last edited by specimen38; 02/12/2005 at 07:19 AM.
  17.    #17  
    that's a long post for so early in the morning)) Ok, I won't exclude from the dialogue on this post)

just that life is based on decisions, and sometimes the peers might have the answer to your question, so that is the reason why I posted it with that title
    From this post, it sounds like you don't have a 650. Does that mean you should not post, or only you. For this early in the morning, you are up reading this stuff.
    i'm debating in between the unlocked and locked version from Cingular, and I would really appreciate if somebody could play around with their phones, and let us know if it's better than the Cingular version or not. It looks like Cingular started giving out unlocking codes, so we might be able to unlock it, so I wanna find out if there are any other advantages of the unlocked version from Palm
    Thank you so much guys and have fun playing with your phone, but don't neglect your wifes or gf )
  19.    #19  
    actually, I had a Sprint one, and now I'm receving my unlocked 650 on Monday.
    I'm still at work, so I got nothing to do other than reading some forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by schulzmc
    Kolio:

When my Treo gets here on Monday I will be using T-mobile and shelving my BB 7100t. Did your Treo work on your present T-mobile plan? Did you have to call T-mobile or change your plan at all? Anything else I need to know to make a smooth transition? Thanks!

schulzmc
    I had the "BlackBerry Minutes and More" plan (which I wished they had a similar one for Treos) and had to add "T-Mobile Internet" unlimited data plan to get data access on it. The BlackBerry data plan/access won't work through the Treo. So, I ended up calling 611 and had them switch me to a regular voice plan + Tmobile Internet. The CSR will tell you it could take up to 48 hours for the changes to take affect but it works pretty much immediately. After you add the data plan, all you have to do is do the following on your Treo: Prefs --> Network --> Select "T-Mobile Internet" from the drop down list --> Click "Connect."

ONE CAVEAT: if you switch to a regular voice plan, BE CAREFUL. The 1000 minute plans are PROMOTIONAL plans and if you switch to one of those (or any other promotional plan) they will lock you into another 1 year contract. So, make sure you ask the CSR which plans WILL NOT put you in a 1 year contract (assuming you care about this).

The last 2 things on my plate to configure on my Treo are:
    1.) Figure out how to get access to the T-Zones site (I like the CNN articles, etc.)
    2.) Figure out how to configure VersaMail to function exactly like the 7100t's mail program - i.e., retrieving ONLY newly received emails and to automatically check every 15mins (I don't want to go the auto-retrieval via the SMS route).

If you figure out the 2 above before me, let me know!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast