Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    At least in my ZIP (07036) Cingular.Com is now using the new price structure that has been discussed here.

HOWEVER, previously (actually as of yesterday) the 650 was not allowed on a Family shared minutes plan, as of now it is but I'm sure that can change minute to minute.

Also, there is a $24.99 Unlimited Mediaworks plan (data only, no SMS) listed under the available options for the 650. So what happened to the "PDA PLAN"?

As expected rates have gone up. Now you need a $69.99 plan for a $9.99 shared line (was $59.99 plan).

For those on ATT, Cingular is allowing you to migrate your $59 w/$9.99 shared plan until MAY '05. You don't have to take the $69 plan to get the $9.99 shared price.
    Last edited by MisterEd; 02/11/2005 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Spelling :)
    The former $19.99 MEdia Works is now called MEdia Net 8MB
    The new unlimited plan is called MEdia Net unlimited - $24.99. This works if you add the Treo650 to your shopping cart. It will not show if you shop plans without adding a GPRS capable phone to your shopping cart.

Under data plan tab there are several DATA CONNECT plans ranging from $29.99 to $79.99

Leave it to Cingular to confuse the hell out of its customers.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I bought mine at a Cingular Store (an agent, not a company store) and they were able to sign me up for the $19.99 MediaNet plan. 1500 Messages and unlimited internet. They said that this deal was expiring Sunday. Now we'll see if I have a problem.

They tried to give me the $50 rebate coupon, but I see that it is the much maligned "PDA Unlimited Connect" required option coupon.
    I called Cingular and asked for the MediaNet plan which they said was not available for my Treo, and then I asked for the unlimited PDA plan and they said that was $79 per month. I did not buy my phone through the page, as I took advantage of the unlocked purchase via Palmone.
  5.    #5  
    Correct, but the new unlimited plan has no sms or mms. Just data which is just how the ATT unlimited mMode plan works (except incoming SMS/MMS is free on ATT but not on Cingular). The data connect plans have always been there. Whoever does there website is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    The new unlimited plan is called MEdia Net unlimited - $24.99.
    Under data plan tab there are several DATA CONNECT plans ranging from $29.99 to $79.99

Leave it to Cingular to confuse the hell out of its customers.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Still begs, are we all grandfathered, then?
    I was assured by an in-store CSR that yes, we are. I know from dealing with him for months that he's been "in the know". In fact, he told me a week ago that the new MediaNet $20 plan would be 8MB, not 3MB as widely reported. Guess what? It is. Bottom line: I have a great deal of confidence in his word.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Still begs, are we all grandfathered, then?
    It looks like we are. I went to check my minutes on Cingular's website and it said I used 1 text message out of the 1500 included with Media Works ($19.99/month).
    Hey, here's some more Cingular confusion for you. My wife, with a Treo 600, decided she wanted more email. So, I called Cingular and for $3.99/month, they gave us unlimited data usage with the actual time taken out of her voiceminutes. Since she uses only about 1/2 her monthly minutes and has about 6000 minutes banked in her rollover, this seems like a good deal.
  10.    #10  
    They have given you "CSD" (Circuit Switched Data) .... basically it's an actual dialup modem connection (using the phone as a dialup modem) through your ISP or work at about 14k as opposed to a connection at 120k via GPRS/Edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob5583
    Hey, here's some more Cingular confusion for you. My wife, with a Treo 600, decided she wanted more email. So, I called Cingular and for $3.99/month, they gave us unlimited data usage with the actual time taken out of her voiceminutes. Since she uses only about 1/2 her monthly minutes and has about 6000 minutes banked in her rollover, this seems like a good deal.
    The unlimited MediaNet option for $25 is nice, as long as you don't need to use VPN connections from your Treo, as that will not work with that plan. In fact...a colleague of mine went from that to the $39.99 PDA Unlimited plan...still no VPN, still a NATted IP address. They finally put him on the $79.99 unlimited DATA CONNECT plan (for a lower price), and now his VPN works. Cingular still needs to work a bit on competitive pricing against Sprint. Even Verizon has better rates than this.
    ok so what is the difference with the unlimited media net plan for $25. i've got the $39.99 unlimited pda plan plus then i had to add an extra $7.99 or something per month for my sms messages. i was very mad when i saw the $39.99 plan did not include sms. but now i am wondering why i'm paying almost $50/month when i could get the media net plan for $25. confused?
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd

HOWEVER, previously (actually as of yesterday) the 650 was not allowed on a Family shared minutes plan, as of now it is but I'm sure that can change minute to minute.

As expected rates have gone up. Now you need a $69.99 plan for a $9.99 shared line (was $59.99 plan).
    I dropped my ATT account and started new Cingular account on the day the 650 "hit the streets". Plan is same deal / same price at $59.99 a month and I have 3 extra lines on it with the family plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanguynn
    ok so what is the difference with the unlimited media net plan for $25. i've got the $39.99 unlimited pda plan plus then i had to add an extra $7.99 or something per month for my sms messages. i was very mad when i saw the $39.99 plan did not include sms. but now i am wondering why i'm paying almost $50/month when i could get the media net plan for $25. confused?
    When I went into the store I was told you cannot add the $25 plan to a Treo. Fortunately, I had built a shopping cart with the Treo650, the voice plan I wanted, the $25 Media Unlimited plan, and the $5 add-on for 200 SMS per month. The rep had to talk to 2 other people before he agreed to just add it to the account. He told me that if the internet connection didn't work, I'd have to come back in and they could "adjust the account" to the higher priced PDA plan...

It's working just fine.
    Here is my experience with cingular salesmen, cingular website, cingular customer service reps over the last week.
    I have cingular T650 with no contract for $384 new, $44.99 PDA connect plan (unlimited surf, no SMS MMS, PDA CONNECT only plan available), no voice plan purchased at brick + mortar cingular store 7 days ago.
    The data connect plans are for notebook PCMCIA cards (cost more because notebook is ultimate browser). The PDA connect plans for all PDA devices because they can surf much more than cell phone with microbrowser. The media net plans (formerly wireless internet express WIX) and packages (media works/basic/professional) are for microbrowers (non-PDA cell phone) because cingular knows you can only surf so much. BUT the media net plan appears to give exactly the same speed and access as the PDA connect plan (VPN not tested).
    Today, I called and asked rep to cancel my PDA connect plan, start a voice plan, and add media works (19.99$) even though it ended 02/11/05 and the rep did, no problem (1500 SMS, 200? MMS, unlimited internet).
    NOTE: The media net plans are NOT plans but FEATURES that are added/removed from a voice plan.
    There are different plans (different cost) for devices that have little/medium/alot (cellphone/PDA/notebook) of surf capability.
    The store, website, reps offer different features as others have shown. None of the reps have a clue about these issues and offend give false answers (not knowingly) out of ignorance (media net - only go to limited sites - WRONG, not EDGE - WRONG, won't work on T650 - WRONG, slower speed - WRONG) .
    It is my thinking that cingular will get its act together within 1-2 months and the plan will be DEVICE based (pay more for more surf capability). I also think that prior to that, whatever plan you get, they will honor until you make major changes to your plan.
    I have surfed with PDA connect for 6 days and media net for 1 day and see no difference.
    Hope this helps.
    I did what Kastegir did. I went in with my unlocked 650s and a shopping cart with a family plan and the Media unlimited plan for me (8mb for my wife since she doesn't use the data that much). The rep just did my account exactly the way I had my shopping cart. The Cingular web site did not even make the PDA plan available.

A few feet away from me some guy was in complaining that he wanted unlimited data for his 650. His rep said only the PDA plan for $44 would work and wouldn't give him anything else.

I wanted to say something, but I figured I was more likely to end up having my rep change his mind than the other rep changing his.
  17.    #17  
    Errr, Media Works is not unlimited internet any longer. It definately still exists but it's only 8mb/month. I'd keep checking your bill very carefully if I were you.
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name
    Here is my experience with cingular salesmen, cingular website, cingular customer service reps over the last week.
    I have cingular T650 with no contract for $384 new, $44.99 PDA connect plan (unlimited surf, no SMS MMS, PDA CONNECT only plan available), no voice plan purchased at brick + mortar cingular store 7 days ago.
    The data connect plans are for notebook PCMCIA cards (cost more because notebook is ultimate browser). The PDA connect plans for all PDA devices because they can surf much more than cell phone with microbrowser. The media net plans (formerly wireless internet express WIX) and packages (media works/basic/professional) are for microbrowers (non-PDA cell phone) because cingular knows you can only surf so much. BUT the media net plan appears to give exactly the same speed and access as the PDA connect plan (VPN not tested).
    Today, I called and asked rep to cancel my PDA connect plan, start a voice plan, and add media works (19.99$) even though it ended 02/11/05 and the rep did, no problem (1500 SMS, 200? MMS, unlimited internet).
    NOTE: The media net plans are NOT plans but FEATURES that are added/removed from a voice plan.
    There are different plans (different cost) for devices that have little/medium/alot (cellphone/PDA/notebook) of surf capability.
    The store, website, reps offer different features as others have shown. None of the reps have a clue about these issues and offend give false answers (not knowingly) out of ignorance (media net - only go to limited sites - WRONG, not EDGE - WRONG, won't work on T650 - WRONG, slower speed - WRONG) .
    It is my thinking that cingular will get its act together within 1-2 months and the plan will be DEVICE based (pay more for more surf capability). I also think that prior to that, whatever plan you get, they will honor until you make major changes to your plan.
    I have surfed with PDA connect for 6 days and media net for 1 day and see no difference.
    Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Errr, Media Works is not unlimited internet any longer. It definately still exists but it's only 8mb/month. I'd keep checking your bill very carefully if I were you.
    Media Net Unlimited is $24.99/month, and that replaces the Unlimited Media Works, which was $19.99.

Here are your options for data services if you try to buy a 650 on the Cingular web site:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks for the tip, but I was able to get the old media net unlimited plan ($19.99) with a bucket of SMS + MMS even though the plan ended on 02/11/05. I confirmed this plan was on my account prior to posting that message.
  20.    #20  
    You posted: "Today, I called and asked rep to cancel my PDA connect plan, start a voice plan, and add media works (19.99$) even though it ended 02/11/05 and the rep did, no problem (1500 SMS, 200? MMS, unlimited internet)."

I'm not questioning that the plan is on your account. I have no doubt it is. What I am questioning is if you THINK you are getting UNLIMITED INTERNET in that package. Maybe you are and maybe you're not. If you look at the selections below (just taken of Cingular's site 5 minutes ago):

http://img94.exs.cx/img94/4980/picture00016ja.jpg

There is still a $19.99 MEDIA WORKS. It's still available today, it never ended on 2/11. The difference now is the $19.99 package USED TO include UNLIMITED INTERNET (whatever it was called then). Now it no longer does, it's only 3mb data plus UNLIMITED MMS and 1000 SMS. If that is what you got and if you are expecting UNLIMITED INTERNET you might be in for a big surprise. If you're not expecting unlimited internet then you have no problem. The UNLIMITED INTERNET package is now $24.99 (Media Net Unlimited) but includes NO MMS or SMS. Most of the reps don't have a clue as to what someone is asking for and could have given you what you asked for but not what you expected. It's happened before. The chances they did you a favor and also included UNLIMITED INTERNET, SMS, and MMS for $19.99 IMHO is quite slim unless there was some special reason. Lot's of others have asked and have not got it. Hey, maybe you just got lucky, but just keep an eye just in case or ask the rep exactly what your media works (19.99$) includes. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name
    Thanks for the tip, but I was able to get the old media net unlimited plan ($19.99) with a bucket of SMS + MMS even though the plan ended on 02/11/05. I confirmed this plan was on my account prior to posting that message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast