1.    #1  
    I'd like to modify the voice mail number to add pauses and my PIN. On this phone you can't (on a previosuly owned SMT5600 you could). It's obviously pulled off the sim and put into #1 speed dial. The easiest way would be to find an SMT5600 and do it there then put the sim back in the 650, but I can't find one.
    I'm not sure about the GSM 650, but on my Sprint I added pauses and my pin simply by selection "more" from the Edit Favorites screen for the voicemail speed dial, adding commas and my pin, and then selecting "dial digits automatically." No hacking necessary.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Using "Dial Digits automatically" at least on the GSM 600 and 650 puts a pause anyway, without commas.
    Yay! At least now I dont feel stupid for going through the same thing all day long. I finally figured out that if you turn off the phone and then boot it back up, after about 5-10 seconds if you go to your phone screen, scroll over to the voicemail button, and Menu --> Edit Favorites Button it will let you edit the number to whatever you want. But you shouldnt need to use a pin anyhow, because when you a. call from your cell number or b. dial the assigned voicemail number from cingular it will automatically log you in.

Hope that helps...
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ny
    Yay! At least now I dont feel stupid for going through the same thing all day long. I finally figured out that if you turn off the phone and then boot it back up, after about 5-10 seconds if you go to your phone screen, scroll over to the voicemail button, and Menu --> Edit Favorites Button it will let you edit the number to whatever you want. But you shouldnt need to use a pin anyhow, because when you a. call from your cell number or b. dial the assigned voicemail number from cingular it will automatically log you in.

Hope that helps...
    No, not in many years. Cingualar requires a pin, even from the handset it is called in on.

Also in response to someone's earlier post. The voicemail number is not on the sim, it is pushed through the network.
  6.    #6  
    Dohhhhhhhhhh !!! Dat done dood it! Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I'm not sure about the GSM 650, but on my Sprint I added pauses and my pin simply by selection "more" from the Edit Favorites screen for the voicemail speed dial, adding commas and my pin, and then selecting "dial digits automatically." No hacking necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    No, not in many years. Cingualar requires a pin, even from the handset it is called in on.
    odd... i still don't have to enter a pin (and it isn't saved with the number, either) when i call in on my samsung handset to cingular's voicemail. maybe a holdover on an old account type or something?

-ae
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
  8.    #8  
    I don't think that's correct because when I got a previous phone it had a different number (which worked but it wasn't my own number). I was able to change it to what I wanted. What's interesting was I programmed the pauses in on my SMT5600. When I put the SIM into a Nokia 6620 the pauses were still there (except the SMT used "P" for Pause so it didn't pause), then when I put the SIM in the 650 the pauses were STILL there (once again as a "P" so they didn't work). I put the sim back in the 6620 where I was able to remove the "P"'s but it wouldn't allow a comma. From all those moves it seemed pretty certain the information IS stored on the SIM because it followed the SIM from phone to phone even when the pause key was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Also in response to someone's earlier post. The voicemail number is not on the sim, it is pushed through the network.
  9.    #9  
    That's pretty scary because if someone calls your number and gets sent to voicemail they could retrieve your voicemails by hitting *.
    Quote Originally Posted by aethyric
    odd... i still don't have to enter a pin (and it isn't saved with the number, either) when i call in on my samsung handset to cingular's voicemail. maybe a holdover on an old account type or something?

-ae
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    That's pretty scary because if someone calls your number and gets sent to voicemail they could retrieve your voicemails by hitting *.
    no - calls made from a landline/other phone ask for a pin when you hit *. calls made to voicemail from my cingular phone/line drop straight into the voicemail menus without asking for a pin. isn't this the way it's supposed to work? did i mis-read something in the thread?

-ae
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
  11.    #11  
    Well, I'm on the ATT side of Cingular and I have to enter a PIN even from my cellphone. Was the same over my many years on Verizon. I can't speak for Cingular Orange.
    no - calls made from a landline/other phone ask for a pin when you hit *. calls made to voicemail from my cingular phone/line drop straight into the voicemail menus without asking for a pin. isn't this the way it's supposed to work? did i mis-read something in the thread?

-ae

-ae
    Yes that is the way it is supposed to work.. It reads your caller id and send you to that voicemail box, and lets you in.
    I moved from Huntsville, Alabama to Austin, Texas. Same handset. In Huntsville a call to voice mail from the phone went straight into voicemail w/o asking for a PIN. In Austin, ya gotta enter the PIN every time. Same plan, handset, and company.
    This voicemail security works on caller-id authentication. If for whatever reason your caller-id doesn't go through or doesn't match (roaming, international), you will be prompted for a password. The flip side, if you forge the caller-id information you can get into other people's voicemail. These sites are out there on the 'Net'. Read this securityfocus article from Oct.

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/9822
  15.    #15  
    Everyone here in NJ needs to enter a PIN. It's probably works different by location.
    Quote Originally Posted by sabbota
    This voicemail security works on caller-id authentication. If for whatever reason your caller-id doesn't go through or doesn't match (roaming, international), you will be prompted for a password. The flip side, if you forge the caller-id information you can get into other people's voicemail. These sites are out there on the 'Net'. Read this securityfocus article from Oct.

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/9822
    Years ago it was explained to my by Cingular Orange that they switched it, at least here on the West Coast, so taht if someone found your handset, they could not get into your voicemail.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    How does it know if someone found your handset? My voicemail does not require authentication in Oregon. However, my Blue phone worked exactly opposite

Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    How does it know if someone found your handset? My voicemail does not require authentication in Oregon. However, my Blue phone worked exactly opposite

Sorry, I meant that it used to be that we didn't have to enter a password to retrieve email from the handset.

Cingular changed it here at least in So Cal. If you call into voicemail from your handset, you must (or speed dial must) enter a password.

Meaning if someone else picked up your handset, they would not be able to access your voicemail, unless you have your password encoded into a speed dial favorite.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 02/14/2005 at 10:54 AM.
    When you are in the Sprint voicemail system, and go to administrative options you can turn off the password/PIN request. The next time you call from your phone, you will automatically begin playback of messages. Even easier than using the dial extra digits/favorites option!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtGuy
    When you are in the Sprint voicemail system, and go to administrative options you can turn off the password/PIN request. The next time you call from your phone, you will automatically begin playback of messages. Even easier than using the dial extra digits/favorites option!
    I was just about to recommend this. Our Sprint Samsung 8100 work phone has that set so any of us who has the phone do not have to dial in the password. I wouldnt want this on my Treo though so I have it disabled.