Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. I finally broke down and switched from AT&T to cingular and got a 650. So far i love the phone despite a couple of random resets. My biggest concern regarding this phone is the lack of support by lockline.

i don't have the kind of $$$ to just buy a new 650 if something happens to it. I was told by someone at the cingular store that insurance for the 650 will be available at some point, but i think it's been definitively shown that the retail store folk are generally clueless.

I guess my best option is just to wait until stores like best buy or compusa start carrying the GSM 650, so i can get an extended warranty. I did a search previously, and was also wondering about independent insurance. Has anyone purchased an independent policy or made a claim?

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I'm with ya!
    I've waited on the GSM 650 just so I can buy one under some type of extended coverage. So far, I'm waiting on Best Buy to carry the 650 so I can buy thier PSP (as much as I hate Best Buy Service, it's better than nothing).
    Hmmm, I wonder why Palm doesn't cover Treo's under it's own extended plan?
    I think that might say something about the expected failure rate. . .
    Absolutely no question I wouldn't own a Treo without insurance. The screen is extremely easy to break. I cracked on dropping from my pocket and another was in my pocket and bumped into a corner counter. Lockline insurance with Sprint saved me both times.
    Is there any reason why you can't insure the phone with State Farm Insurance (or any other insurance agency)?

I was given a $40/year insurance quote for my phone. I was wondering....is there something that Lockline insures you for that State Farm wouldn't? If it's the same, it's a slightly cheaper alternative to Lockline, plus, you can keep all your insurance in the same place.
    Lockline (name has now changed) covers for stupidity. I don't know if State Farm does. i.e. dropping into river, leaving it on a plane, dropping it, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorea
    Is there any reason why you can't insure the phone with State Farm Insurance (or any other insurance agency)?

I was given a $40/year insurance quote for my phone. I was wondering....is there something that Lockline insures you for that State Farm wouldn't? If it's the same, it's a slightly cheaper alternative to Lockline, plus, you can keep all your insurance in the same place.
    Lockline insures you for whatever happens to the phone, even if it is the users fault. In the one case that I needed to replace my phone, they sent it the next day and never asked me to send back the defective one. Has anyone ever asked Lockline if we (Treo users) could buy insurance directly from them?
    Had my 600 for a year, no insurance, no worries. I'd get it if I could, but I can't be with out my treo, especially now that I've had the 650 for a week!
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Lockline (name has now changed) covers for stupidity. I don't know if State Farm does. i.e. dropping into river, leaving it on a plane, dropping it, etc.
    Best bet is to call your insurer.... I have my SLR digicam and lenses on my Allstate homeowners policy and I actually verified with two different agents "so if i drop my camera into the toilet, it's covered?" and got yes answers.
  9.    #9  
    I am on my girlfriend's account, and she is going to call her homeowner's insurance company tomorrow. I hope it works out, because i would REALLY hate to have take my 650 back.
    good luck on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Best bet is to call your insurer.... I have my SLR digicam and lenses on my Allstate homeowners policy and I actually verified with two different agents "so if i drop my camera into the toilet, it's covered?" and got yes answers.
    Although not a solution to your issue, invest in a good case to protect your investment.
    1 | 2
    ... I have my SLR digicam and lenses on my Allstate homeowners policy and I actually verified with two different agents "so if i drop my camera into the toilet, it's covered?" and got yes answers.

What in the world are you taking pictures of???
    My one negative to Cingular is this point. But it worked our better for me. I thought of homeowners here but if you deductable is $500 or better, there is no point.

I called USAA my home owners insurer, I first asked them about Cell phones and they said it was covered under my regular policy ($500 deduct). But and they had a seperate policy that would cover both my Treo's (as PDA's) and all my computers: two desktops and 2 laptops $8,000 worth of coverage for $26 a year, and no deductable and no exclusions (water, drop, lost, or theft). So this worked out better for me.

I never had covered any of my previous Treos or Visorphone.
    Getting insurance on cingular is a piece of cake. Two things you can do...have a friend there who puts it on your contract wink wink style. Or buy a phone insure it...return it get the Treo...once insurance is on your bill they have to honor it. My CSR said were not supposed to do this but if you were to pay for insurance they can't deny a new Treo should something happen. So I pay an extra 4 bones a month...the piece of mind is worth it. It can be done, either pull the swap or level with them. But you can do it!

Evan
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEvan23
    Getting insurance on cingular is a piece of cake. Two things you can do...have a friend there who puts it on your contract wink wink style. Or buy a phone insure it...return it get the Treo...once insurance is on your bill they have to honor it. My CSR said were not supposed to do this but if you were to pay for insurance they can't deny a new Treo should something happen. So I pay an extra 4 bones a month...the piece of mind is worth it. It can be done, either pull the swap or level with them. But you can do it!

Evan

Have you ever tried to see if they will honor your claim when you tell them you have a treo 650? I have a feeling they do not carry the 650, so they are not going to be able to send you one if something happens.
    When reviewing my bill a CSR called me and said that since it was in my contract it had to be honored. They were going to take it off since the razr and smartphones are not covered however, they could not once it was in there (thanks to my friendly in store rep).
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEvan23
    When reviewing my bill a CSR called me and said that since it was in my contract it had to be honored. They were going to take it off since the razr and smartphones are not covered however, they could not once it was in there (thanks to my friendly in store rep).

ATTWS took off the insurance from my account when I bought the Treo 600 last year. I guess the good new is that I can always fall back on the 600 if anything happens. I am thinking about calling Palmone to see if I can upgrade my 600 to the 650. I'm on my 4th 600, so maybe they will let me upgrade for all the trouble. (just wishful thinking) Does anyone know if palmone will upgrade me?
    Whatever you do: GET INSURANCE
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I doubt you'll have coverage for the 650 since smartphones (PDA Phones) are specifically disclaimed in thier policy.
    Insurance companies are sticklers for tight policies and I don't see them changing that stance, especially if you pulled a bait and switch to have the coverage added.

At worst, they could be liable for collecting fees and providing no coverage, so they might have to refund the fees collected. But they would not have to cover the phone since it's stated as an exclusion in the policy.
    I have Allstate as well. I have had my homeowners with them since 1970. In 2003 I made my first ever claim (around $2000 for water damage from a broken pipe). My insurance went up almost $140/year beccause of that. Suddenly after a clean 33 years I became a higher risk (according to them). I had my wife's jewely and my Nikon's insured with them as well. I immediatedly removed them and bought an independent "inland marine" policy. Really pissed me off. What are they charging you for the floater on the camera (what $$ value is it)? I also wonder if they would cover a cellphone (or if so, if it would be cost effective)..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast