Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've sent most of this to Marc, but thought it would be helpful to get feedback from forum members. I'm on a Sprint T650 using v1.0 (can't locate 1.0.1 to try ;-):

1. When ChatterEmail loses data connection with Vision, it will never be able to reacquire the connection. It simply tries and tries, but it never works. All other manual attempts to connect to Vision are unsuccessful as well. A soft reset consistently resolves the problem. Occurs more than once daily.

2. BackupMan and CardBackup automated backup options that I have set for overnight are blocked if I enable "Hours" and turn off CE during that same time. When CE re-enables based on "Hours" setting, BackupMan will then perform it's backup. CardBackup will not.

3. Handheld freezes when trying to "Load More" then open an email larger than 64k (I think Marc is aware of this...).

4. On one occasion, loss of Vision connection also caused screen to stop responding to stylus input. On screen buttons and navigation around the screen continued to work. But, soft reset was required for stylus input to be recognized in any program.

Anyone with these issues and suggestions for fixes? Thanks!
    I've never seen #1.

On #2, I have no idea. Chatter has no control of these things.

On #3, actually anything over 32k will probably cause a reset. I found this yesterday, and haven't posted a revision yet. The short-term fix will be to limit message size to 32k.

I've never seen #4.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    I've never seen #1.

On #2, I have no idea. Chatter has no control of these things.

On #3, actually anything over 32k will probably cause a reset. I found this yesterday, and haven't posted a revision yet. The short-term fix will be to limit message size to 32k.

I've never seen #4.

Marc
    Marc, the issues with backup software seem odd. But, I can tell you there are backups every day they were assigned until this AM and last night was my first attempt enabling the "Hours" option. Also, as I mentioned in an email, I happened to turn on my Treo around the exact time the "Hours" were schedule to re-enable Chatter (7am) and immediately after enabling, BackupMan started it's backup... which had been scheduled for 5 hours earlier. Very strange coincidence to me.

The stylus input issue is mentioned in another post in this thread so others have reported it.
    I have seen number three, alot.

I even went as far as to get a packet trace using bluetooth reverse dun...

I see lots of retranmissions... lots of unreassembled packets.
    Yes, #3 is a REAL problem; I will address it in the next release.

And can someone point me to the stylus issue? I don't remember it, but it's hard to keep up with all the forums and posts...

Marc
    I use a 600 on Sprint so it may not be comparable but here is my experience:

1. The latest versions connect up almost seamlessly compared to earlier versions, so my experience is basically the opposite of yours.

2. I have used backupman with CE since it started and have had no conflicts that I can identify. There have been very occasional (rare) failures of Backupman to observe its schedule, but it does not appear to be CE related, at least as far as I can observe.

3. I don't have any problem with Load More, though I do have attachment problems occasionally.

4. This is related to 1. I just don't have connection problems.
    I've had problem #1 repeatedly as well. I've found that it doesn't quite take a soft reset to make things work again, just power-cycling the radio (ie turn phone off then back on again). I also find that it just keeps trying to reconnect until it's manually cancelled, regardless of the "max network failures" setting.

While I haven't tested very throroughly, I also believe that while the phone is in this continuos loop I'm unable to receive calls. I haven't tried calling myself when in this state, but I have gotten voicemail without the phone ever ringing.

Greg
    I seem to have the connection problems when phone loses data connection chatter cannot seem to re-connect have to turn off phone then turn it back on to connect with my dqta
    Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by biggreg
    I've had problem #1 repeatedly as well. I've found that it doesn't quite take a soft reset to make things work again, just power-cycling the radio (ie turn phone off then back on again). I also find that it just keeps trying to reconnect until it's manually cancelled, regardless of the "max network failures" setting.

While I haven't tested very throroughly, I also believe that while the phone is in this continuos loop I'm unable to receive calls. I haven't tried calling myself when in this state, but I have gotten voicemail without the phone ever ringing.

Greg
    This is exactly what I've experienced, as well (i.e., power cycling the radio solves the problem), though there does not seem to be any common denominator as to when or why it occurs. I have also had the problem with BackupMan. It does not happen every time -- more like every other night (I also have sleep hours enabled in Chatter). As to losing stylus input, I've never seen this, though I don't use the stylus that often. A more significant problem for me -- and one that goes away if I delete Chatter -- is that the phone frequently will not respond to the red button to turn the screen on. This seems to happen most when going in or out of service areas or when switching from roaming to Sprint Vision. Sometimes I have to wait 5 minutes or more for the phone to "wake up" or do a soft reset. Strange stuff. If I weren't so addicted to Chatter, I wouldn't put up with this stuff. In general, my Treo is far more stable without Chatter than with it. However, it's such a wonderful program that I refuse to give it up, especially when Marc continues to work so hard to kill bugs and improve it. Marc, keep up the great work!!
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiscarmack
    This seems to happen most when going in or out of service areas or when switching from roaming to Sprint Vision. Sometimes I have to wait 5 minutes or more for the phone to "wake up" or do a soft reset.
    This is what I'm seeing on my Cingular T650. My Treo doesn't roam, but I get lockups when signal strength is low.
    The only time that I have seen BackupMan fail to observe the defined schedule is when there is an alert on the screen. Chatter's alert killer solves that problem and I have not had BackupMan fail a backup since. Could it be that during the sleep hours, the alert killer isn't active, and an onscreen alert forces BackupMan to wait until it is dismissed?
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    2. BackupMan and CardBackup automated backup options that I have set for overnight are blocked if I enable "Hours" and turn off CE during that same time. When CE re-enables based on "Hours" setting, BackupMan will then perform it's backup. CardBackup will not.
    I find this very interesting. I use Botzam, which had been flawlessly backing things up about 1:00 each night. A little while ago it suddenly stopped working. I would wake the phone up in the morning, go into Chatter and the scheduled Botzam backup would suddenly begin. I don't know what Chatter version this co-incided with - as it never occurred to me that it could be related. I upgraded Botzam, but never got around to contacting their developers to see what was up. My Chatter goes to sleep each night at 12:30, and Botzam is scheduled to backup at 1:00 am. The issue began on my Sprint 600, and has continued on my Cingular 650. I have no idea if any of this is related, but it seems very interesting that you're also having issues with Chatter and a backup package.

Dunc
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    I find this very interesting. I use Botzam, which had been flawlessly backing things up about 1:00 each night. A little while ago it suddenly stopped working. I would wake the phone up in the morning, go into Chatter and the scheduled Botzam backup would suddenly begin. I don't know what Chatter version this co-incided with - as it never occurred to me that it could be related. I upgraded Botzam, but never got around to contacting their developers to see what was up. My Chatter goes to sleep each night at 12:30, and Botzam is scheduled to backup at 1:00 am. The issue began on my Sprint 600, and has continued on my Cingular 650. I have no idea if any of this is related, but it seems very interesting that you're also having issues with Chatter and a backup package.

Dunc
    Well, I feel vindicated Though, it would have been a lot easier if it was just a problem for me... then I can hunt around for the solution myself.

Marc, I hope this feedback from multiple users is impetus for us to consider the impact of Chatter on backup software.
  14.    #14  

Greg
    Thanks for sharing this. It didn't dawn on me to try power cycling the phone modem first, but I'll try this if it happens again. It's just frustrating to have to tend to this issue multiple times daily. I haven't had a day go by, since installing Chatter, that this hasn't happened at least twice. Just for giggles, I disabled, soft reset, then deleted almost every app I use that effects the system in any way. I'm trying to eliminate other causes and hope to narrow it down a bit. At least if it's an interaction between Chatter and something else, I some options. If it's just Chatter, I have to live with it.
  15.    #15  

Greg
    Just tried this and it works for me as well. Thanks again for the suggestion.
    Just a folowup -- after having the problem with the radio locking up repeatedly with a few beta versions, I deleted all the chatter files and the problem went away. When I saw 1.0 was released I decided to try again, but the same problem came back. Since then (for the last day or two) I've left chatter installed but put my one and only folder in "offline" mode and have not seen any lockups. Putting the folder temporarily online does still work to retreive mail.

This obviously disables one of chatter's most valuable features.

Greg
    biggreg - What carrier are you using? And are you using SSL?

Marc
    1. When ChatterEmail loses data connection with Vision, it will never be able to reacquire the connection. It simply tries and tries, but it never works. All other manual attempts to connect to Vision are unsuccessful as well. A soft reset consistently resolves the problem. Occurs more than once daily.
    I had that problem with an older version, after he put in the timers, that stopped... The problem I have now is that after 14 hours or so, it'll start resetting at EXACTLY 10 minutes forever, until I too do a soft reset. I mentioned this to Marc and am trying to collect enough logs.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tuctboh
    I had that problem with an older version, after he put in the timers, that stopped... The problem I have now is that after 14 hours or so, it'll start resetting at EXACTLY 10 minutes forever, until I too do a soft reset. I mentioned this to Marc and am trying to collect enough logs.
    tuctboh, I've searched everywhere and can't figure out how to get a "log"... can you explain how I do this?
  20.    #20  
    Well, I feel vindicated Though, it would have been a lot easier if it was just a problem for me... then I can hunt around for the solution myself.

Marc, I hope this feedback from multiple users is impetus for us to consider the impact of Chatter on backup software.
    Marc, after I was able to locate the v1.0.1 and install last night, I tried "Sleep" hours again. This time, both BackupMan and CardBackup worked without incident despite Chatter being "asleep". This was a change from v1.0 to v1.0.1.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast