Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    tuctboh, I've searched everywhere and can't figure out how to get a "log"... can you explain how I do this?
    Go to the console and type log. To turn it off do the same. To send to marc go to the console and type bug. Make sure to click the attach log.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by tuctboh
    Go to the console and type log. To turn it off do the same. To send to marc go to the console and type bug. Make sure to click the attach log.
    Thanks for the info. Do most people keep logging on all the time and do we know if it in any way drains additional battery? Then, if you have an issue, just type in "bug" and attach log and it gets sent to Marc with all the logging info? Or, do you start logging after you had a problem occur, then try to reproduce it so it appears in the log? Thanks for any additional guidance on how to best use this.
    Marc,

I'm on SrintPCS in the western burbs of Chicago, and yes, I'm using SSL.

Greg
    biggreg - Can you try without SSL as a test and see if it improves your stability issues?

Marc
    Marc,

I'll have to try setting up with another server since my work email server only allows connections from outside via ssl. I'll let you know what I find.

Greg
    Marc,

I setup a non-SSL account with fastmail.fm and CE has been working flawlessly for about 24 hours. The lockup problem appears to be related either to SSL in general or to my mail server in particular. I'll enable SSL with fastmail and post a followup.

Greg
    Well, I haven't tried Chatter w/o SSL (per se) but I do have some info to report. I ran Chatter 1.0 all weekend in classic mode and only used it for IM - and my 650 did not lock up once. Also, I did not set Chatter to go to sleep and lo and behold... Botzam backed up when it was supposed to!

Dunc
    So here's the scoop on SSL...

Palm doesn't support SSL "in the background" (i.e. after you leave an app); it normally crashes instantly. I found a workaround a few months ago that seemed to work very well; it appears, though, that it does eventually lead to either resets or lockups (I haven't seen lockups before, but resets yes).

My guess is that the only stable solution is to go back to the old "No SSL in the background" way of doing things, at least as an option. In this case, though, you'd need to be IN Chatter in order to receive new mail.

Thoughts?

Marc
    I'd take the occasional lock up and reset over the inability to receive messages while being in other applications (I've got one account for which I can't turn off SSL; two for which I don't use SSL). I haven't found the resets and lockups to be onerous.

As a halfway step, is there at least a way to force the Treo always to be "in" Chatter when I hit the power off button (or when the screen turns off). This way, if I'm an ***** and forget to switch back to Chatter, I won't miss e-mails for however long the screen is off.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottharris
    I'd take the occasional lock up and reset over the inability to receive messages while being in other applications...
    A reset I can deal with as I have everything set to power backup, logon, etc. But the lock ups are hell. I don't know how much longer the back of my Treo 650 will hold up - I've take it off so many damn times!

Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    So here's the scoop on SSL...

Palm doesn't support SSL "in the background" (i.e. after you leave an app); it normally crashes instantly. I found a workaround a few months ago that seemed to work very well; it appears, though, that it does eventually lead to either resets or lockups (I haven't seen lockups before, but resets yes).

My guess is that the only stable solution is to go back to the old "No SSL in the background" way of doing things, at least as an option. In this case, though, you'd need to be IN Chatter in order to receive new mail.

Thoughts?

Marc
    Thoughts? This sucks! Without SSL in the background what's the point of IDLE? I can't imagine why Palm wouldn't see this as important functionality. What business user is going to use an appliance that can't fetch mail using SSL? Without background SSL there certainly will never be a forthcoming Blackberry Treo client.
    biggreg - Can you try without SSL as a test and see if it improves your stability issues?

Marc
    I have been seeing this problem (or something like it) on a Treo 600/Sprint/SSL, and I have seen it with Chatter in the foreground. When I request a Qsync in the foreground every so often it hangs trying to initiate the Qsync (so the bottom right of the Treo reads "Qsync" with the not yet connected graphic). I haven't been able to correlate when this happens to anything else. A soft reset always clears it, but I haven't tried just turning the radio off and on.
    Can you log this for me, Mike? Are you sure it wouldn't clear itself after a minute or two (it waits before a reconnect attempt)? And when you say "hang", do you mean that the Treo is unresponsive?

Marc
    Marc

What is the deal on the above question? Does logging decrease battery life?
    Can you log this for me, Mike? Are you sure it wouldn't clear itself after a minute or two (it waits before a reconnect attempt)? And when you say "hang", do you mean that the Treo is unresponsive?

Marc
    Yes, I should be able to get a log. I certainly *thought* I was waiting a long time, but I suppose I can time it out to 5 (or whatever you think is right) minutes.

When I say "hang," I mean nothing on the Treo responds for me except the reset button. Any other buttons presses (to move to another app, for instance) do nothing.

--Mike

Thoughts?
    I used to be a rabid Snappermail fan, and a Verichat user. But I desperately needed an IMAP solution. I found Chatter and it was everything that I wanted - the mantra "it doesn't matter how you communicate with someone (ICQ, AIM, eMail, etc) it's all in one place" was wonderful! IDLE was the icing on the cake - it made not having HTML rendering, attachment support, and SD storage non-issues.

But now things have changed. Chatter no longer offers IM (to new users) and IDLE is gone (with SSL). Wouldn't I be better off returning to Snappermail (or something as full featured) as I have to set up email to poll now anyways? What now distinguishes Chatter from all the other email apps out there?

Dunc
    For what it's worth, version 1.01 works fine with SSL & IDLE here on my GSM 600 running against a UW-IMAP(S) server.
    Dunc - Did you try without SSL to confirm that's the problem?

Marc
    Marc,

Another followup. After 24 hours of no problems using CE without SSL on fastmail.fm, I'm now about 17 hours into using fastmail.fm with SSL enabled with no problems and IDLE working prefectly.

My work email box (where I was having lockups) is a Redhat Enterprise Linux 3 system running UW Imap. From what I've been able to gather, fastmail.fm uses Cyrus IMAP. Since I am also the administrator of the email server I'm looking into switching to (or at least trying) Cyrus IMAP, but it looks like there are some issues in how mailboxes are stores that make it non-trivial.

I hope this is a useful data point. I'm glad it's looking so far like SSL in itself may not be the problem.

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by biggreg
    Marc,

Another followup. After 24 hours of no problems using CE without SSL on fastmail.fm, I'm now about 17 hours into using fastmail.fm with SSL enabled with no problems and IDLE working prefectly.

My work email box (where I was having lockups) is a Redhat Enterprise Linux 3 system running UW Imap. From what I've been able to gather, fastmail.fm uses Cyrus IMAP. Since I am also the administrator of the email server I'm looking into switching to (or at least trying) Cyrus IMAP, but it looks like there are some issues in how mailboxes are stores that make it non-trivial.

I hope this is a useful data point. I'm glad it's looking so far like SSL in itself may not be the problem.

Greg

I'm running against the Redhat provided UW-IMAP here without problem. I don't think that is the problem either.
    Dunc - Did you try without SSL to confirm that's the problem?
    It appears that the problem is related to SSL. I tried it over the weekend without SSL and didn't notice any hang ups.

What is the deal with SSL, Marc? Have you changed the routine that you use, or are there distinct differences between the 600 and the 650 that are causing the problem?

Dunc
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast