1.    #1  
    i figured until the powers that be in the world of treo hacking are able to come up with an alternative [which if i'm not mistake shouldn't be too long now] that in the meantime i'd write up this rough guide to getting your cingular branded treo 650's unlocked by none other than cingular wireless customer service.

first and formost, you must tell the cingular csr that the reason you need the subsidy unlock code is because you are travelling overseas either for business, or an ill family member, etc. anything along those lines. just be creative. and yes, one would be hard pressed not to think, "but wait a minute, by saying that it's for overseas travel, i'm basically admitting to them that i intend to use another provider's sim card!" which is precisely the idea. see, they already know that's what you really want to use the unlock code for. the name of this game is to know your stuff, without insulting the their intelligence

now, there are some minimum criteria that needs to be met prior to them even considering your request for the subsidy code, and they come in two variations:

------
    the first is from my own experience--
    • applicant must be a long-time customer with active service (preferably no less than two years)
    • applicant must be in good standing in terms of making payments on time
    • applicant must have the "international roaming" feature added to the account (don't worry, it's actually free)
    • applicant must be on an internationally-capable handset (which the 650 of course is)
    ------
    the second is from junglegeorge45--
    • you must have an account in good standing with cingular
    • your account must be three months or older
    • you must call customer service and specifically request they provide the unlock code and sequence
    ------
    now as to which one is more accurate or not doesn't concern me. just know that while he is still in the process of "receiving" his unlock code via phone or email, mine was given to me right over the phone. he is 100% right about the last part, though. you must absolutely specifically ask for the "subsidy unlock code". again, part of the knowing your stuff game.

now...if your account doesn't fall into either of those above standings, then you're gonna have one heckuva road ahead of you. the trick to it all though, is that you must be persistent. i myself was literally on the phone with tech support, customer support, dealer support, you name it, for a whole two days! and still they only budged just a few hours ago.

if after two days of begging and pleading and re-routing and you've finally had your last fit, THEN you can revert to the contingency: bluff that you want to cancel out your service. it's what finally grabbed the rep's attention and what got her to give me the unlock code. it was an act of pure desperation, but i'm happy to say that it worked.

if at that point, however, the representative proceeds to route you to the service cancellation dept., while it's still ringing, hang up and try it again. then use the added excuse that you were abruptly disconnected! again, i cannot stress enough how much persistence plays a roll into getting your phone unlocked. stick with it long enough and you too may have your precious runnning on the carrier of your choosing.

good luck and godspeed.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Well, I was as persistent as could be. Because my account on this phone is still new (last week) an exception was made based on my past account with Cingular. According to them I should have it unlocked in a day or two. They will contact me.

Btw, they do hook up with the manufacturer's data base to get the unlock code. There is no number at the manufacturer that you can call to get it done. Only the carrier can do this via EDI, not the customer. Don't waste your time calling Motorola or PalmOne if they try to give you a number to call.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Well, I was as persistent as could be. Because my account on this phone is still new (last week) an exception was made based on my past account with Cingular. According to them I should have it unlocked in a day or two. They will contact me.

Btw, they do hook up with the manufacturer's data base to get the unlock code. There is no number at the manufacturer that you can call to get it done. Only the carrier can do this via EDI, not the customer. Don't waste your time calling Motorola or PalmOne if they try to give you a number to call.

TonyH, I remember in an earlier post you stated you returned your 650 because it had problems. Did you get another 650 by any chance? If so, how did you get it so quickly, and is it the unlocked GSM?
    No, actually I didn't get a T650 replacement. I'm now using a PPC6601 with Sprint, but waiting for my Cingular's SX66 to arrive next week.

But out here in California, I've been to several corporate stores that had T650 in stock. They do move them pretty fast, though
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    No, actually I didn't get a T650 replacement. I'm now using a PPC6601 with Sprint, but waiting for my Cingular's SX66 to arrive next week.

But out here in California, I've been to several corporate stores that had T650 in stock. They do move them pretty fast, though
    Tony, your post says that you got the phone UNLOCKED by cingular! If you got rid of it how could you have gotten it unlocked????
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!