Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since Datebook+ is really just a stripped down version of Datebk3, can Visor users buy Datebk4 at the upgrade price?

------------------
    Raphael
    I'd be surprised if there was, as the full version of Datebk3 wasn't available at a discount.

BTW, Datebk4 is gonna get $25 of my hard-earned bucks. It is a powerful and useful app.

tyler

[This message has been edited by tyler (edited 05-05-2000).]
    You think Steuart is getting a full fare for Datebook+ from Handspring for each Visor sale?

New Visor users haven't _really_ paid the full price of the original Datebk3 like many of us. So nothing personal... but I don't see why a Visor-only upgrade should be considered.

I actually was a bit disappointed to find out that Datebk3 users were indeed going to have to pay an upgrade fee... I just wanted a Datebk3/4/# with beaming capability (which was originally a potential add for version 2.2 according to an old email).

I understand that he added a WHOLE BUNCH but I really didn't need another 170K worth of stuff.

HOWEVER, after reading his small discourse on wildlife (specifically gorilla) conservation/preservation... I'm not going to balk at the $10. It's a worthy cause and I admire his passion for it.

I would encourage every Datebk3 user who can spare the RAM to upgrade. Mr. Dewar has continued developing an excellent enhancement for the Palm platform. I say let $10/person add up for him. Long live Shareware!
    Last edited by Chazzz; 02/08/2016 at 10:34 PM.
    The upgrade WILL be free for those who can wait until June for the automated update function.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by dequardo:
    The upgrade WILL be free for those who can wait until June for the automated update function.
    What exactly do you mean by that?

------------------
    Raphael
    Ah ha!... Talk about the old RTFM moment...

In my browsing, I skipped past the end of the paragraph...

The auto-update system (if it works) will allow registered Datebk3 users to upgrade for free -- it won't have to involve Mr. Dewar at all in the process... As he said:
    "the philosophy here is that if it doesn't cost me anything to give you an upgrade, then I won't charge you anything for it either"...

I think I won't wait for the free deal though. "mid-June" is an ok due-date.. But I figure that if I wait, Dewar will be late by a month (and I'll have to reinstall the prg, or deal with nag messages (maybe not?)). BUT if I pay the $10 now... I'll just be hassle free forever.
    Last edited by Chazzz; 02/08/2016 at 10:34 PM.
    Hey all,

I did email the support line asking about an upgrade to the datebook 4 for visor owners.

I don't have the reply with me at the moment but I got two separate replies, one from palmgear and the other one from the makers of datebook. Both saying that I would have to buy datebook 4 at full price. But if it is as powerful as it sounds it may still be worth it.

My only concern is it's size. =)

Vital
  8. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Chazzz:
    I just wanted a Datebk3/4/# with beaming capability (which was originally a potential add for version 2.2 according to an old email).
    Actually, all I want is the functionality of the visor's Datebk+ plus beaming and timezone support (a must for frequent business travellers)...is Web page does mention that he may provide a 'lightweight' version of datebk3/4 with only the most 'popular' features, so I guess I'll have to wait and see...
    Originally posted by Rob:
    Actually, all I want is the functionality of the visor's Datebk+ plus beaming and timezone support
    I have downloaded (and actually already registered) Datebk4, and believe me, it has so many features I didn't know what I wanted until I saw what I could have. While Datebk4 will fill the bill on beaming (you can even beam entire categories, thus sharing schedules with your spouse or coworkers) and timezones, saving customized views and the category and icon features are amazing! I highly recommend giving Datebk4 a try.

tyler
    Originally posted by tyler:
    I have downloaded (and actually already registered) Datebk4, and believe me, it has so many features I didn't know what I wanted until I saw what I could have.
    My question is: with all of these extra features, will there be a problem synchronizing with Outlook? (Can Outlook keep up?)

It shouldn't be a problem syncing with Outlook. A co-worker of mine is doing that fine running outlook2000 on an NT machine.

On another note: i've found the Datebk4 has allowed me to remove a few other programs i had been using. I was a BIG fan of HotDate and no longer need it with Datebk4's custom view capability. And linking memo's to date entries and phone numbers allowed me to get rid of (what was the name of it...???) LinkPak?

it's a great program...
    Hey DateBk4 users, I am using and it is great!! but I am having problems with the floating Events. They wont advance to the next day, is anyone experiencing the same problem. Or does anyone have an idea as to why it is not advancing.

When they don't advance, if I go to the previous day and ...
    -select the Floating event
    -go to details
    -don't change anything
    -then press ok
    it finally advances it to the next day.
    What is up with that?

Plus I get Fatal Exceptions ever once and a while. Don't get me wrong, it is great software but it has its quirks.
    I had just installed FontHack123 so I could use custom fonts on my Visor.

Alas, the hack caused Datebook+ to crash, forcing a reset. This happens even if Datebook+ is not given a font by FontHack123, the hack's mere presence is fatal.

I was about to resign myself to being stuck with the standard fonts when I recalled mention of Datebk4. It seem to have plenty of marvelous features. I wondered if it would work with Fonthack.

It does!!!

I'm sold!
    EE_Fun,

I've read elsewhere that the solution to your problem is to delete the file Datebk4DB. Next time you run Datebk4 the file is automatically recreated, but all of your preferences (i.e. saved views, etc.) will be lost and need to be rebuilt. This should solve you problem.

tyler

P.S. I recommend the program Zarf Catalog (a.k.a. z'catalog) to "get to" the DB file. As with most apps, you can find it at Palmgear (http://www.palmgear.com)
    tyler,

You were right, although I go an email from the tech support before I got your post. They told me what you just said. It worked and I am happy, although the program cashes sometimes. I guess every progam has its bugs.

Thanks
    Been using BateBK4 for a couple of weeks now. Great program. I had problems at first but they went away when I installed the stub program (available from pimlico's site) that masks DateBK+. Try http://www.egroups.com/messages/pimlicodatebk check out some of the messages. There is a lot of traffic with this group.

John
    EE_Fun,

I suppose a bug or two seems understandable for such a large and complex app. I understand that the first maintenace release will be out in the next week or so, so most (or all?) known issues to this point will theoretically go away. The author of the "datebks," CESD, is excellent at supporting his software if Datebk3 is any indication. I doubt we'll have anything to worry about as far as bugs being a plagueing issue.

tyler

[This message has been edited by tyler (edited 05-23-2000).]
    I have a question regarding installing the trial version of Datebk4 and then removing it... perhaps someone who has tried this could help me here.

Datebk4 makes some changes in the way it handles completed floating events, such that reverting to a previous version (3.0t or earlier) will move all floating events marked as completed to "today". CESD released version 3.0u to ensure backward compatibility for those wanting to revert to version 3.

However: What happens if I remove Datebk4 and revert to Datebook+? Does anyone know if this will move all my completed floating events to "today" as well, and what I can do to avoid that?

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

Originally posted by Kevin Culp:
    I have a question regarding installing the trial version of Datebk4 and then removing it... perhaps someone who has tried this could help me here.

However: What happens if I remove Datebk4 and revert to Datebook+? Does anyone know if this will move all my completed floating events to "today" as well, and what I can do to avoid that?
    Kevin,

I just uninstalled Datebk4 (finally decided that there was WAY more than i needed and i found myself feeling like all i wanted was 'a dip in the pool' and feeling like i was 'swimming in the ocean') However, it DOES put all your floating events to 'today' and i found the best way to handle this.

BEFORE uninstalling Datebk4, sync your visor.

Delete Datebk4, Datebkstub and Datebk4DB.

If you want, start Datebk+ and you'll see everything listed 'today'...it's a little scarey to see how much is crammed on that day!

Then, on your computer, in your Hotsync program, change the Datebook settings to 'Desktop overwrites Handheld'.

Do another sync, and all your appointments will go to their proper days. The other option is to use your visor and just delete all those appointments, however, i needed to keep many of them for historical reference.

This solves the problem neatly.

Hope the maker of Datebk's comes up with that rumoured 'slimmed down' datebk4. I like the linking and catagories but all those views and stuff just overcrowded the application for my needs. I looked at Datebk3 and it has most of the things i like, except linking. So i guess we'll just wait and see.

In the meantime, I find that a nice small program called 'Hotdate' does a VERY good job of setting up a today/tomorrow/this week view of datebook entries and todo's. Check it out.
    Anybody using memo+ and Todo+ while using datebook4? Any problems with it?

------------------
    Rose's are Red
    My Visor is Blue....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast