Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Like many Treo GSM users, I spent many frustrating hours trying to find a way to unlock my phone, and after going through hell, the best way to do so, is simply have PERSISTENCE.

I must have called Cingular a dozen times yesterday and today until finally they gave it to me. As other users have stated, it all depends on the customer service rep and how helpful they want to be. You'll get all sorts of excuses like they are already unlocked, they don't have the unlock code, and you have to be a customer for 90 days (when I heard that last one, I said, OK, I'll just pay you for three months of service upfront, but they still said no). Furthermore, don't believe the crap that Palm One has the unlock codes; Cingular definitely had mine, and I bet they have yours.

Also, there are a couple tech support numbers for Cingular which most customer service reps don't want you to have. Those are: (866) 287-6131 and (866) 801-2600.

So, I would just call one of those numbers, tell them you are going out of the country and need the subsidy unlock code. After A TON of persistence, it finally paid off for me.

Just in case, here's what you hit to unlock the phone:

Unlock code: *#*# + 9-digit unlock code+ # + hit "dial."

One thing I was hoping someone can help me with is, is there a way to store all of your Contacts from Microsoft Outlook onto your SIM card automatically? I am running low on memory and would rather have my phone numbers on my SIM card, not only to save memory, but also in case I move my SIM card to another phone.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE.
    thanks, i'm on it!!!
    Treoseur
    So once you unlock it with this code you can take the same phone pop in a sim card from another service provider and you are good to go?
  4.    #4  
    That's exactly right. I tried using a Vodafone SIM card from the United Kingdom and it worked like a charm. I'm going to try a T-Mobile card later tonight, but I'm pretty confident it will work.
    hehe just got my 650 unlocked with the subsidy unlocked from tech support at (866) 287-6131. used the old "i'm cancelling my service" schpiel :P thanks everyone! gonna go play with my phone for a lil. i'll post back with updates.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  6. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Will this work for Cingular branded phones ordered/bought from PalmOne, or only for those purchased directly from Cingular?
    no, it'll work fine so long as you're a cingular customer and it's a cingular branded device. doesn't matter where you purchased it.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    I ordered my 650 as a "Cingular (Formerly AT&T Wireless)" equipment upgrade. It came with an AT&T SIM, but I didn't use it -- put my previous AT&T SIM in instead...

When I went to the Cingular store, they wanted me to upgrade to a Cingular plan, but I figured out I was getting a better deal on AT&T. Just for fun, I tried the sales rep's Cingular SIM in my 650, and it wouldn't take it.

So presumably if they want me to take a Cingular rate plan, they get to un-lock it for me... Meantime, is there another number I should call to get somebody cluefull that could give me the code? :-)

Or has anybody found any sites that charge $5 for the unlock code? There are a plethora of sites like that out there with Nokia unlock codes.......
    I tried that tact and got shot down. I have an ATT 650 and wrote to Cingular telling them I wanted to migrate my 4 lines but didn't want to throw away a new $500 phone. They told me to stick with ATT.
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainman
    I ordered my 650 as a "Cingular (Formerly AT&T Wireless)" equipment upgrade. It came with an AT&T SIM, but I didn't use it -- put my previous AT&T SIM in instead...

When I went to the Cingular store, they wanted me to upgrade to a Cingular plan, but I figured out I was getting a better deal on AT&T. Just for fun, I tried the sales rep's Cingular SIM in my 650, and it wouldn't take it.

So presumably if they want me to take a Cingular rate plan, they get to un-lock it for me... Meantime, is there another number I should call to get somebody cluefull that could give me the code? :-)

Or has anybody found any sites that charge $5 for the unlock code? There are a plethora of sites like that out there with Nokia unlock codes.......
    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    hehe just got my 650 unlocked with the subsidy unlocked from tech support at (866) 287-6131. used the old "i'm cancelling my service" schpiel :P thanks everyone! gonna go play with my phone for a lil. i'll post back with updates.
    My own suggestion about cancellation didn't work as well for me. LOL. They insist on submitting a written request and will contact me in 24 hours via email or phone. That's because my account is new.

Well, I guess that's not as bad as having to pay someone on eBay $40 to unlock your phone and hope he's not a crook.
  11. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    If you have had an account for long enough (I've been with Cingular for over 2 years) and the phone you are trying to unlock isn't one you got for a lower price with a contract, they will give you the code but the csr I talked to wanted confirmation of the purchase date by having me fax the receipt to him. I may try again later to see if I can get a rep who doesn't ask for the receipt, but they may be doing this now to ensure you are not only a customer for over 90 days, but also have had the phone for 90 days (although the latter restriction doesn't really have any good justification...)
    For what it's worth, I tried calling AT&T's GSM dept at 1-866-293-4634 and asking for "Data Support"... They said "it is the policy of both AT&T and Cingular to never release subsidy codes under any circumstances". I told them they had in the past, and he said they've never done that...

Maybe I'll try calling Cingular at the number above...
    Well, they promised the request should be approved within 24-48 hours. My contact started last week on this phone, but I was a corporate customer for a long time when I worked in Atlanta. They took that into account and will make the exception. Now I'm porting my Sprint number into this. I hope they don't try to screw me. I'll cancel both carriers and go back to Verizon if they do. I don't need GSM that bad. I just like the convenience of SIM cards.
    moved
    Last edited by jaredkobs; 02/10/2005 at 10:22 PM.
    I have been customer for years and they told me just send in imei numbers and they will take care of it. (Cing) They did tell me that they could not unlock ATT phones though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Well, they promised the request should be approved within 24-48 hours. My contact started last week on this phone, but I was a corporate customer for a long time when I worked in Atlanta. They took that into account and will make the exception. Now I'm porting my Sprint number into this. I hope they don't try to screw me. I'll cancel both carriers and go back to Verizon if they do. I don't need GSM that bad. I just like the convenience of SIM cards.
    Well I tried to get mine and they said the same thing about I need to be with Cingular for 90 days. I told her I migrated from ATTWS and therefore was with Cingular for atleast 90 days before I migrated.. She said ok and took 5 mins. Entering my IMEI into the computer and searching.. She said that she was on the west coast and didn't have codes for South Central (Texas) region.. Try to call back tomorrow to the local service center to get the number... Man is this annoying...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    Well I tried to get mine and they said the same thing about I need to be with Cingular for 90 days. I told her I migrated from ATTWS and therefore was with Cingular for atleast 90 days before I migrated.. She said ok and took 5 mins. Entering my IMEI into the computer and searching.. She said that she was on the west coast and didn't have codes for South Central (Texas) region.. Try to call back tomorrow to the local service center to get the number... Man is this annoying...
    Good luck with that Regional office, I am on the west coast and ask them which office they are in, because if I get Atlanta or Louisiana, I hang up. They are the rudest, least accomidating.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Good luck with that Regional office, I am on the west coast and ask them which office they are in, because if I get Atlanta or Louisiana, I hang up. They are the rudest, least accomidating.
    Well I called 1-866-287-6131 again and this morning they told me again that they were on the west coast and couldn't access my account.. They told me I need to call 1-800-331-0500 (i'm in texas). I called them told them I needed my subsidy unlock code, very nice guy. Said I need to be with them for 90 days.. I told him I migrated from ATTWS, he said ok I gave him my IMEI and a minute latter he gave me a 8 digit unlock code. My other sim is at home so as soon as I get home I'll enter it and try the sim... I also wanted to try to contact Shadowmite to see if there was any information that I could give him off my phone before and after the unlock.. Good luck to you all.. I would say try the migration angle.. I'm not sure they can tell where you migrated from..
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    Well I called 1-866-287-6131 again and this morning they told me again that they were on the west coast and couldn't access my account.. They told me I need to call 1-800-331-0500 (i'm in texas). I called them told them I needed my subsidy unlock code, very nice guy. Said I need to be with them for 90 days.. I told him I migrated from ATTWS, he said ok I gave him my IMEI and a minute latter he gave me a 8 digit unlock code. My other sim is at home so as soon as I get home I'll enter it and try the sim... I also wanted to try to contact Shadowmite to see if there was any information that I could give him off my phone before and after the unlock.. Good luck to you all.. I would say try the migration angle.. I'm not sure they can tell where you migrated from..
    yeah, your should make a copy of your phone app db before and after applying the subsidy unlock and then post it for those who are interested.
    Well, my request to get a subsidy unlock code is being honored via an exception. I should have it sometime Monday.

In the meantime, while porting a sprint number into my cingular phone, various screw ups took place by cingular. To make a story short I ended up with the number ported correctly, the original SIM card, and an extra blank SIM in my bag while I was at the Cingular store.

What can I do with a blank SIM card still not removed from its holder?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast